• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Based on this interview with Chris Killoy (Ruger President/CEO), it is sounding like the first Ruger produced Marlins will be shipping in mid-December with the 1895 SBL in 45-70 as the initial offering. :party29:

Also sounding like the 336 and 1894 models will follow thereafter.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Did not watch the video, did he mention anything about increasing quality control over what Remlin did?

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Did not watch the video, did he mention anything about increasing quality control over what Remlin did?

He mentioned that they did a part by part review of the production process and engineered in quality controls as part of this effort as the Marlins will be produced differently than their standard manufacturing processes (e.g. are sticking with forged parts rather than investment casting in cases where the original were forged). Barrels will use the Ruger hammer forge process.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This is great news! I'll be looking out for an 1894 in 357 magnum!

Ditto. I've been wanting an 1894 in .357 and threaded for a long time now. Maybe in the next year or two I can finally get one. Hell, so long as the initial reviews are okay-ish (not a long string of issues), if I can get one on order I don't mind waiting.

At least I am pretty confident Ruger will stand behind any issues if the initial ones have some teething issues. Hopefully they've invested a lot in QA and test production so they won't have teething issues of course.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    He specifically mentioned .30-30 in the 336, then made mention of "more obscure caliber", with .444 mentioned specifically in the 1895.

No specific mention made of a 336 in 35 Remington. Not sure what that means.

Sounded like they plan to continue the Model 60 rimfire also.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    He specifically mentioned .30-30 in the 336, then made mention of "more obscure caliber", with .444 mentioned specifically in the 1895.

No specific mention made of a 336 in 35 Remington. Not sure what that means.

Sounded like they plan to continue the Model 60 rimfire also.

Keeping Model 60 with the 10/22 in the Ruger lineup is a pretty solid plan to greatly expand their share of the semi-auto rimfire rifle market. Ruger seems to be pretty much the polar opposite of the pre-bankruptcy Remington in terms business decisions, IMO.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Keeping Model 60 with the 10/22 in the Ruger lineup is a pretty solid plan to greatly expand their share of the semi-auto rimfire rifle market. Ruger seems to be pretty much the polar opposite of the pre-bankruptcy Remington in terms business decisions, IMO.

Yep. At that price point at least, they'd pretty much own it.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Model 60 and 10/22 prices though. Best guess, I'd expect to see them both get bumped a bit, if for no other reason than because they can.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I have complete faith that Ruger will manufacture the new Marlins with the utmost QC over Remlin. If they are issues I’m sure Ruger will make them right with their world class customer service. I guess I got lucky with my Remlin 1895 GG. Mine was built in April 2016. The blueing is fine. Fit, finish and functionality is outstanding. Very accurate. The only gripe I have is the walnut stocks are matte vs the high luster of the JM stamped models. I could not turn down the price on mine. Brand new from Gary (aka Hogsniper) was $413 out the door after the $100 rebate being offered from Remlin at the time. Guess we will see where pricing ends up.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    That's a good question. No mention made in the video about the 795.

About a decade ago they made a limited run of "Appleseed" 795s with Tech Sights and a few other upgrades. I've long kicked myself for not grabbing one.

Like others, an 1894 in .357 and one in .45lc will be on my watch list.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    JMO, but starting with the 1895 in 45-70 says they aren't ready to meet significant demand yet. The demand for 357 leverguns is so high, they could sell 30,000 .357 1894s in a month, yet they chose not to start there. No doubt the 1895 is a sweet gun and they'll sell however many they make, but I can't imagine the demand is anywhere close to the 1894. Could be wrong. The way the convo went I'd be surprised to even see an 1894 for a couple of years. Longer before pricing dips below MSRP.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    JMO, but starting with the 1895 in 45-70 says they aren't ready to meet significant demand yet. The demand for 357 leverguns is so high, they could sell 30,000 .357 1894s in a month, yet they chose not to start there. No doubt the 1895 is a sweet gun and they'll sell however many they make, but I can't imagine the demand is anywhere close to the 1894. Could be wrong. The way the convo went I'd be surprised to even see an 1894 for a couple of years. Longer before pricing dips below MSRP.

Very curious to see how much supply enters the market at first after they start shipping. You're probably right about where they're at. The fact that they mentioned only one specific sub-model of the 1895 as being ready in December was probably telling. I've had an 1895 SBL or GBL high on my list for a few years now, so this is some good news to me at least. Wondering if they may have focused on the 1895 and 336 before the 1894 as the former are both round bolts and the latter square - i.e., knocking out the processes for production methods shared across several models would get more models out early and more early bang for the buck/ROI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom