• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    Effective November 1st, 2021 The firearms registration Branch will begin issuing mobile registration and Licenses, which individuals can print or store on their smartphones. That means plastic ID card for firearm registration and concealed carry License are no longer issue.:thumbsup:

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Effective November 1st, 2021 The firearms registration Branch will begin issuing mobile registration and Licenses, which individuals can print or store on their smartphones. That means plastic ID card for firearm registration and concealed carry License are no longer issue.:thumbsup:

COOL! Any word if you can convert your already received plastic ID to digital? Or is this only for "new" licenses/renewals?

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    "Effective November 1st, 2031 The firearms registration Branch will begin issuing mobile weapon apps, which individuals can 3D print or store on their smartphones. That means carrying your polymer firearm is no longer an issue."

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I like my card it is old school and I am old . I like to have my information for cop as he approaches . Fumbling with a phone that will look like a gun will be exciting

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Plus the fact that to display the "electronic" version stored on your phone requires it to be unlocked...I will not hand an unlocked electronic device to a law enforcement officer absent a properly executed warrant.

CZ Peasy

Jun 29, 2012
    Hopefully in several months none of this will be needed. I'll definitely be printing mine out on paper. No way I'm handing over my phone to show my license.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    You better hope to keep a good charge on your phone too.

We can call and confirm the status but in DC it just makes life more friendly to have the card.

I also won’t be the one stopping you so there’s that

zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    I don't think so. I believe mobile License and registration are faster process and you don't have to check your mail box and pray it coming on time or lost somewhere.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I don't think so. I believe mobile License and registration are faster process and you don't have to check your mail box and pray it coming on time or lost somewhere.

If speed and streamlining was the goal, they would allow a complete online application process.

If they really wanted to make it easy, they would go constitutional carry and drop the permit process and the 16 hr initial class.

Even with no mailed permits, the process still sucks and I have to show up for my initial application to apply.

I would pay extra for a card. I don't always have my phone or an electronic device to pull my permit up in. I'm not handing my phone to LE unless there's a warrant.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    That's really going to work well here in Luddite Land. Does the license come with a new iPhone?

Attachments

• ludland.jpg
      ludland.jpg
      55.7 KB · Views: 294

zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    If speed and streamlining was the goal, they would allow a complete online application process.

If they really wanted to make it easy, they would go constitutional carry and drop the permit process and the 16 hr initial class.

Even with no mailed permits, the process still sucks and I have to show up for my initial application to apply.

I would pay extra for a card. I don't always have my phone or an electronic device to pull my permit up in. I'm not handing my phone to LE unless there's a warrant.

The process will go on line in the near future. The only reason for the delay is waiting for the back ground check to come back which MPD can't control it.
    You should print out your License and leave your copy in the vehicle or wallet, so you don't have to worry about your phone run out of battery.......
    I agree with you, I prefer having a plastic card.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC

All of this x1000.

They purposely make you appear in person as an intentional infringement. They purposely “matured” the registration process so what used to take 20 minutes now takes 60 days as an intentional infringement. If I would hazard a guess, the only reason things are going digital is the card stock costs them more than the thirteen bucks they rob you of to exercise an enumerated right.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC

So where are these digital cards? I’m not seeing anything new on OVERS or the main site.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The process will go on line in the near future. The only reason for the delay is waiting for the back ground check to come back which MPD can't control it.
    You should print out your License and leave your copy in the vehicle or wallet, so you don't have to worry about your phone run out of battery.......
    I agree with you, I prefer having a plastic card.

I added bold. This is not true. The DC CCPL licenses are virtually always held to make it 90 days even if the background check is completed in 10 days.

As far as carrying printed version in wallet, we used to have that for registration. We fought long and hard to get plastic cards. And a printed version on a PDF ANYONE can edit is probably not going to be recognized by a cop at night wiht DC GRU closed for the evening in jurisdictions that honor DC permit (and most do).

DC has allowed you to go down there and pick up your plastic CCPL without it being mailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom