Springfield Armory reintroducing JMB's Hi-Power?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    I bought the Browning/FN version years ago. Nice gun. A great gun, maybe, maybe not, but at least it is a nice gun. How does SA think they are going to make money on a gun discontinued by the company that's been making it since 1935? Because they know there are suckers who will buy it because they've brought it back to life. Think about that before you place an order.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    We will see whether the market supports a new version of the Hi Power. Props to SA for stepping up and producing it...something to be used not collected.

Browning discontinued it for purely economic reasons...their tooling was worn out and annual sales didn't justify the cost of new tooling. The market will determine whether the SA 35 becomes a profitable addition to their offerings or a short term experiment which becomes a collectible due to low sales and a market failure.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I think they gauged it on sales on Gunbroker. Only a few overpriced HP's failed to sell. If every item offered at reasonable market price sells, the market is excellent at that price. I think almost all NIB FN HP's were selling for $1k

The question is whether the market can accept new supply without demand falling off.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    EAA took Springfield's image and just slapped the EAA logo on it. That's hardly "butthurt." If EAA had recreated the shot from scratch with their own tech, etc, Springfield wouldn't really have a leg to stand on. But EAA just 'shopped their logo on a photo they have no rights to. The complaint about "creates confusion" is spot on.

Ah, 'fair use', irony etc. They are rightfully pointing out that Springfield is making a factually incorrect claim when it comes to the HP.
    If anything, FNH has a claim against both for leading people to believe that they are selling their trademarked product.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The only improvement I can see over my Browning HP is the safety lever. HPs are readily available on the used market with ring hammers, and removing the ridiculous magazine safety is simplicity itself, and immediately improves the HP trigger, which was fine until the Frogs demanded the mag disconnect for an army contract. The icing on that cupcake was the fact that the French decided not to buy the Brownings after all.

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    Garand Thumb just did a review…

This video was great. It showed that in (unfortunately) classic Springfield Armory fashion, they need to work out the kinks in their manufacturing processes before I will be interested in actually buying one. They did several things absolutely right (keeping the parts compatibility, changing the safety and sights), but got a few things wrong (low quality finish, matte finish, shipping with one mag).

So I will be waiting until serial numbers get a bit higher before I jump in, but I am very excited to get one, and this gives me time to petition the MD board and find some aftermarket support and smithing resources here.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Garand Thumb just did a review…
    I thought that was a solid review. It let's me know one thing: if I'm going to get an SA-35, I need to wait on it until Springfield works out some production issues.

I thought the beginning of the review was funny for the exact reason it was supposed to be - just ridiculously mag dumping all over the place. :lol2:

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I just pre-ordered an SA-35 from Sportsrman's Outdoor Superstore for $699. Price is *only* MSRP. I don't see them being available cheaper anytime soon since it was the feature in the most recent American Rifleman magazine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom