• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Beautiful rifle. Someday I want to take one step further back and make a match lock just for grins.

Rope-burners are fun to shoot. Just make sure that you are wearing your most disposable clothes, because you WILL have holes burned in them.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    I started this just about a year ago from a Dunlap Woodcrafts Isaac Haines kit. I put a lot of thought and tried several rifles to get familiar with their characteristics before deciding on the basics. It's a .50 with a 38" Rice barrel, Chambers Deluxe Siler lock and Davis triggers. It weighs in right at 7 lbs. It gives me the combination of barrel length, balance, weight, and overall versatility for caliber that I like best.

I used pictures of several Woodbury style rifles as inspiration in finding designs and trim that I liked, most particularly this one from Steve Davis (Steve Davis) and this one from Ian Pratt (Google Image Result for https://www.southernohioartisanworkshops.com/uploads/6/0/4/7/60477191/copy-2-of-img-3516-1_orig.jpg). Now, they're both master builders, and this is only my second build. So, I'll just say that I did the best I could and accept that execution of many small details is less-than-awesome. But, the while turned out greater than the sum of the parts, thankfully.

For the finish, I did AF followed by red mahogany stain and then rubbed back and sanded in 1 coat of tru oil and hand rubbed in 2 more. The metal is done with Birchwood Casey Brass Black.

Thanks to several folks here who gave me great guidance on shaping the stock, trigger issues, and patchbox closure. I might try my hand someday at engraving, but for now I'm just happy it's ready to go.

Not sure why the pics are sideways....

Great looking rifle! One to be treasured, used and passed down for generations.
    Do you have the bug now? Are you already researching your next build?
    Congratulations

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Thanks for all the kind words. This is my second build, though the first was 15 years ago. I love woodworking and do quite a bit - mostly with handtools, even - but I can't say I enjoyed the process of building longrifles as much as I hoped. I could be persuaded to do a Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle kit, but beyond those I think I'll stick to shooting them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom