New York rifle and Pistol case: what's next?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    In 2019, there were 36,096 traffic fatalities in the US; there were 15,292 non-suicide firearms-related deaths.

Facts never matter in these situations.

Beat me to it. Statistically a requalification for a driver's license would make more sense if "saving lives" were really the goal. (we know it isn't)

Also, driving is a privilege, not a right.

Keeping and bearing arms is a right, not a privilege.

So why is it more difficult to be able to exercise a right than a privilege?

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Because that particular right is disfavored by the Party that controls this state, whereas the Party leadership wouldn't want their chauffeurs to not be able to haul them around.

Attachments

• boom2.jpg
      boom2.jpg
      7.6 KB · Views: 209

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    MD already requires class every 2 years. That alone will probably limit the number of people who reapply every time they are up for renewal.

Personally, I think it would be better for drivers license renewal than concealed carry

I thought it was 2 years for first renewal and then every 3 there after?

That being said, yeah I think everyone should be required to recertify for a driver’s license test. Fail it and you’ve got 45 days to retake and pass it or your license gets pulled.

Call it once a decade till 65. Then every 5 years after that. Probably save a lot of lives. A heck of a lot more than CCW license renewals every couple of years ever would or could. Also if we want to get in to doctors reporting on gun owners. We should make it mandatory that doctors report to state MVAs if a patient has a health condition that would disqualify them from driving.

Pope414

I don`t know if this was brought up if it has I please point me to the thread..what do you think would happen in states that are May issue(No Issue) if the NY law is struck and Shall Issue becomes law..would they recognize residents with non-res permits from other states and give a timeframe to apply for a resident LTC?.. If struck there will be a floodgate opened that states like NY,NJ & MD unable to process applications in a timely manner..Thoughts?

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    MD already requires class every 2 years. That alone will probably limit the number of people who reapply every time they are up for renewal.

I thought it was 2 years for first renewal and then every 3 there after?

Clarification on the selected quotes above.

First application, 16 hour class with renewal in 2 years. Renewals are good for 3 years with an 8 hour class.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    I don`t know if this was brought up if it has I please point me to the thread..what do you think would happen in states that are May issue(No Issue) if the NY law is struck and Shall Issue becomes law..would they recognize residents with non-res permits from other states and give a timeframe to apply for a resident LTC?.. If struck there will be a floodgate opened that states like NY,NJ & MD unable to process applications in a timely manner..Thoughts?

Simple answer. no.

I highly doubt that SCOTUS will write the opinion in a way that will require states to recognize out of state permits.

However, I am aware of at least 4 lawsuits being prepared to be filed as soon as SCOTUS releases their opinion to push the issue of reciprocity.

The states that will be sued in multiple different circuit courts to hopefully produce a circuit split will be the states that are the worst offenders of reciprocity. Such states as CA, HI, OR, IL, MD, MA, D.C. NY, NJ, FL, etc…

Don’t look for nationwide reciprocity until either the courts rule it so, or until republicans have a national Trifecta again.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Simple answer. no.

I highly doubt that SCOTUS will write the opinion in a way that will require states to recognize out of state permits.

However, I am aware of at least 4 lawsuits being prepared to be filed as soon as SCOTUS releases their opinion to push the issue of reciprocity.

The states that will be sued in multiple different circuit courts to hopefully produce a circuit split will be the states that are the worst offenders of reciprocity. Such states as CA, HI, OR, IL, MD, MA, D.C. NY, NJ, FL, etc…

Don’t look for nationwide reciprocity until either the courts rule it so, or until republicans have a national Trifecta again.

If carry outside the home is established as a right, reciprocity will be necessary. I cannot be deprived of my 1A right because I went to West Virginia to see my sister. The 2A is no different. Those cases will be quick.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Don't count on it. The republicans screwed the pooch the first 2 years of the Trump administration.

The courts are the answer.

You maybe right about that, but we have to get a trifecta first, and that’s much easier said then done sadly.

We might regain control of the Senate in 2022, but I doubt we will of the house.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    If carry outside the home is established as a right, reciprocity will be necessary. I cannot be deprived of my 1A right because I went to West Virginia to see my sister. The 2A is no different. Those cases will be quick.

I agree with you 100% however it will of course take a few legal battles sadly to force some states to do so.

Most other states are slowly jumping on the bandwagon of reciprocity for all other states by either passing constitutional carry, or recognizing all other permits.

South Carolina for example still has a constitutional carry bill that’s still alive, as well as a bill to recognize all other states LTC’s

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    You maybe right about that, but we have to get a trifecta first, and that’s much easier said then done sadly.

We might regain control of the Senate in 2022, but I doubt we will of the house.

Control of the senate and filibuster-proof control of the senate are two different things. We ain't gonna see 60+ seats there any time soon. Only way to get Ds in the senate to play ball is to use an R majority in the house (and an R executive) to make them completely beholden to playing nice with the Rs in the senate if they want any shiny budget toys at all. But they've already shown a willingness to throw their entire (toxic anyway, let's face it) agenda under the buss if they can claim procedural (ie, filibuster) victories that frustrate the conservatives on:

1) Abortion
    2) Guns

Bonus Pyrrhic Victories:

3) Taxes
    4) Regulation
    5) Screwing with R-appointed Judges/Justices

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

The republicans are good sniping the Democrats.

The Republicans forgot how to govern though.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Control of the senate and filibuster-proof control of the senate are two different things. We ain't gonna see 60+ seats there any time soon. Only way to get Ds in the senate to play ball is to use an R majority in the house (and an R executive) to make them completely beholden to playing nice with the Rs in the senate if they want any shiny budget toys at all. But they've already shown a willingness to throw their entire (toxic anyway, let's face it) agenda under the buss if they can claim procedural (ie, filibuster) victories that frustrate the conservatives on:

1) Abortion
    2) Guns

Bonus Pyrrhic Victories:

3) Taxes
    4) Regulation
    5) Screwing with R-appointed Judges/Justices

I was trying to be a little sarcastic there… sadly I doubt we will get a Trifecta control anytime soon. Control as far as being able to pass what we want, without the democrats being able to do much to stop it. Which like I was saying isn’t going to be anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom