• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hunter11

Aug 8, 2021
    So I’ve recently purchased a savage axis 2 xp in 350 legend . Took it out yesterday to shoot it and the first 2 rounds cycled fine. After the 3rd round I went to recock the bolt and when I thought it up it locked up and wouldn’t pull back to reload . I made sure it was fully up before I tried to pull it back so it wasn’t that. I would then have to lower back into the “fire position “ dry fire it and then it would cycle fine . It did this for the remainder of the rounds of the magazine. Only had the 5 rounds on hand as it was my first at hoc shoot with it so any help would be greatly appreciated. Dry firing it does not cause the problem and allows for clean cycle perhaps maybe ammunition?

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    If it was ammo I am not sure why dry firing it would allow the bolt to open to extract the cartridge.

One possibility I can see is that the first time you open / close the bolt you are loosening the cartridge, so the dry firing is irrelevant. The question is, before dry firing will the bolt extract the cartridge by mortaring it (lots of force), or simply by working the bolt (rotating it open/closed a few times before extraction). Maybe try cycling an unfired round, next time at the range. Not in your house because if its a trigger/safety problem, who knows what could happen.

Otherwise, if the gun needs to be fired twice to extract a cartridge, it sounds like a trigger/safety issue to me and I'd call Savage and send it back.

Did you save the brass? is there any sign of over-pressure or out of battery detonation?

Hunter11

Aug 8, 2021
    Yes I saved the casings and they seem in fine order no sign of over pressure or out of battery detonation

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Does it have the accu trigger? If it does and you apply even slight pressure to the trigger and then let off the trigger, and then go to pull the trigger it won’t fire, you will need to recock by lifting the bolt. Just a thought. Other than that IDK, call Savage.

Never mind. I went back and reread your post. I see you are having a different issue. I’d suggest calling Savage still.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    My Axis(not II) in .350 has had no such issues. As others have suggested, call Savage they may be familiar or know what the trouble could be. And don't leave us hanging let us know what happened...please.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Savage has a VERY good warranty from what I understand.

350 Legend seems to be a cartridge that has all these issues with the guns and such. I just wonder how well the specs were planned out with the ammo manufacturers. Seems like not all the kinks have been worked out.
    You would think a straight wall cartridge would be easy?

I'm part of the 350 legend facebook page.
    Doing a search, you are not the only one with this issue.

I think it was a savage but my Dad had issues with over pressure and popped primers along with stuck cases. Sent it back and they fixed the issue. I think it was a Savage.
    Don't recall exactly what they said but when reporting it here on MDS there were talks of Headspace issues with them. Posts on the FB page mention debris/burrs in the chamber. Lots of stuff to read but short of tackling it yourself, its a ship back to Savage type fix.

I'll dig through my dad's emails about it and report back
    +1 on call Savage.

Hunter11

Aug 8, 2021
    It was just picked up from the store 3 days prior and seemed of oil but I added a little bit and wiped it all down so I don’t believe it was that

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    It was just picked up from the store 3 days prior and seemed of oil but I added a little bit and wiped it all down so I don’t believe it was that

Did you fully clean and lube it before shooting it? Often, what looks like oil in a new in box gun is actually a preservative. That should be cleaned off with an actual cleaning agent/solvent and the action lubed before firing.

Hunter11

Aug 8, 2021
    I sent it off and just got it back today they said it was a problem on the bolt face and left it at that but didn’t cost me a dime so I guess it’s a win

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I sent it off and just got it back today they said it was a problem on the bolt face and left it at that but didn’t cost me a dime so I guess it’s a win

...as long as it works this time(sounds like a head space issue?). :D

Glad they got it squared away for you. :)

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Happy they fixed it for you. Do kinda wish they would have been more specific about the trouble but at least it's right now. Have fun with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom