• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You’re only other real option is Tim Mullinex. He’s just before Damascus by Annapolis rock road. Not To far from etichson market. I think he charges $85 and then obviously additional for stuff. The sausage he makes is good but tell him to add less salt. Solid guy. 5 mins from Rupert farms.

Well shnit! I'm over there all the time at the IWLA. He's 10 minutes from my house. And you say he does products too? I'll give him a call. Thanks!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Well shnit! I'm over there all the time at the IWLA. He's 10 minutes from my house. And you say he does products too? I'll give him a call. Thanks!

Yeah i don’t recall everything he does. He does not do summer sausage but he does a great job butchering and an awesome job wrapping, the wrap job is honestly the most important. Unlike KS cuts when i use Tim (rarely cuz i butcher my own) i am confident i am getting my own deer too.

If your in a pinch you can hang and quarter at my shop. I’ll send you home with a grinder too but would need it back next day. I got a slicer too but honestly I’ve never used it so i can’t offer any tips on best practices. I’m 25 mins from Tim’s on the other side of Olney. I’ve legit got everything you’d need to hang, quarter, trim, and take home, grind, and bag.

If I’m home bring a 6 pack we will get that thing cut in 30 mins. If I’m not home don’t let my neighbors see you peeing in the backyard and make sure you put out the fire pit.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yeah i don’t recall everything he does. He does not do summer sausage but he does a great job butchering and an awesome job wrapping, the wrap job is honestly the most important. Unlike KS cuts when i use Tim (rarely cuz i butcher my own) i am confident i am getting my own deer too.

If your in a pinch you can hang and quarter at my shop. I’ll send you home with a grinder too but would need it back next day. I got a slicer too but honestly I’ve never used it so i can’t offer any tips on best practices. I’m 25 mins from Tim’s on the other side of Olney. I’ve legit got everything you’d need to hang, quarter, trim, and take home, grind, and bag.

If I’m home bring a 6 pack we will get that thing cut in 30 mins. If I’m not home don’t let my neighbors see you peeing in the backyard and make sure you put out the fire pit.

That's very kind of you and much appreciated, but I too have the necessary equipment with the exception of a band saw. As I said in the OP, my deer is done. I sometimes kill deer for other people through crop damage permits and it's always nice to be able to take a deer for professional butchering for folks where they can just go and pick up their meat when the phone call comes. I also like to donate to FHFH, so I need a connection for that. I do know of a drop-off in Poolesville, if it is still in operation.

As for the bolded(sigh), not worth the comment and this neither the time or place.

Thanks again for all your help. Muchly appreciated. :)

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    No problem homie! MoCo lists KS cuts as the only location for donation drop off. I dunno if Tim does it. If he does it’s probably a pay upfront and try to get state reimbursement.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Now that KSKuts is de-funked(at least for this season), who are you guys using?

It would be nice to do my own, but basically I don't have the room, and I have my deer for the year. I'm looking for someplace that will butcher or take for FHFH donations in my area. I'm in G-burg. Can you steer me to a website?
    A friend of mine does his in his Baltimore row home...he'll even hang the deer off his deck to age it! Since he told me that I really question when someone else says they don't have the room ;) :cool: But I get it though...it does take up a lot of time and you do need a little bit of elbow room.

But I'll give one more recommendation for Clint's Cuts. They're on the England Acres property on Detrick Rd, right across from Gaver's Tree farm.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Used Clint’s Cuts for the deer I got last week. Easy to deal with and their right down the street from me.

Only complaint is that they don’t do hot dogs.

If anyone knows a place near Frederick/Mount Airy that does hot dogs, I’m looking for one.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Is Ray Hitchcock still up/running/accepting etc ? I have yet to get a deer and need their services. Hopefully that changes by next week !
    Thanks

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I’ve been using Chuck and Bernie, they are a little north of M&G, think it is considered South Westminister, they do specials and vacuum seal it.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Richards Deer Shop in Ridgely. The only butcher i have ever found to offer "corned venison" and it is amazing. Like corned beef except he uses backstrap.

I use a cut from the ham for corning. There's a large, flat roast you can pull out of it that works good for a lot of different things. No sense wasting a good backstrap on that! The next one I get I'm going to cook it pit beef style. If I slice it thin enough, should be quite tasty.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I've wondered about this for a decade now- when hanging your deer to age, how do you keep bugs/flies away from it?

My house in Arizona had a room the previous owner built onto the back of the house for the sole reason of hanging and aging deer and elk. I used it as a garden shed.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I've wondered about this for a decade now- when hanging your deer to age, how do you keep bugs/flies away from it?

My house in Arizona had a room the previous owner built onto the back of the house for the sole reason of hanging and aging deer and elk. I used it as a garden shed.
    Bugs aren't out much when it's <40 degrees outside. And there's less of them in conditioned spaces (like a walk in cooler)

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Same here,,, I would never think of letting another man handle my "meat"

Seriously, it takes 15 min to skin, quarter, straps, loins in a plastic bag/in a tote,, Tote goes in the basement fridge, next night or so toke comes up and wife and I cut, wrap, grind. Good times,, I would never thing of hunting without the processing part,, It would be like planting a garden and paying someone to harvest and can?

I use myself, never thought otherwise. I like it still twitching when it hits the freezer.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I have never aged a deer (over 50 of them) and never had a bad cut.
    They are skinned and quartered and in the cooler within hours of being shot.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    A friend and I butcher together in his basement. We enjoy the time spent together working up the future dinners. His wife tolerates it because the proceeds are tasty. Done some for friends who, for one reason or another, ran into issues being able to process. One guy now processes all his own (he used to take it to a meat house but they told him they were full up one year). He never was shown how to do it.

Call me crazy but I enjoy the time spent with good friends processing venison. Everyone is busy in their own lives but I look forward to butchering time now as much as hunting. Maybe it's the people who make all the difference in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom