• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Having issues with firing pin
    Got this a few years ago and I recall another member got one from same table at HOCO show
    Mine has no firing pin. Dealer offered partial refund so I took it.
    Jackfirst gun parts finally has firing pins in stock but looks like this one does not fit. The rear tab that fits into the block to keep it from firing until fully chambered is in wrong place
    Anyone with one here have pics of the firing pin?

I ID’d this as a Marlin 20 and not a 20A or 20S

Figured I would post here before contacting jackfirst
    3927af140270f95e12c7a0768b9a069e.jpg

52c78821283707d082c1f309363aef7b.jpg

9fcfd254b888e62dcc19225c91bf175f.jpg

1eb8cdc63c9c126202732e42ab70b293.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Having issues with firing pin
    Got this a few years ago and I recall another member got one from same table at HOCO show
    Mine has no firing pin. Dealer offered partial refund so I took it.
    Jackfirst gun parts finally has firing pins in stock but looks like this one does not fit. The rear tab that fits into the block to keep it from firing until fully chambered is in wrong place
    Anyone with one here have pics of the firing pin?

I ID’d this as a Marlin 20 and not a 20A or 20S

Figured I would post here before contacting jackfirst
    3927af140270f95e12c7a0768b9a069e.jpg

52c78821283707d082c1f309363aef7b.jpg

9fcfd254b888e62dcc19225c91bf175f.jpg

1eb8cdc63c9c126202732e42ab70b293.jpg

is it in right direction and not backwards?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    is it in right direction and not backwards?

Yes
    The spring fits into a slot.
    I will email Jack Frost tomorrow
    I found a post on another forum showing the different firing pins and how the 20 used 2 different versions
    Will post a link

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Wilcam, I don't think that's it because mine has the slot for the firing pin return spring.
    I think this is what I need.
    https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshop.../products/marlin-model-20s-firing-pin-85-27-2
    I had originally seen that parts list and it had some inconsistencies that did not agree.

based on this post I need the 20JI. The post makes sense cause it points to the one with the down hump in the right location.
    https://www.marlinowners.com/threads/marlin-20-firing-pin.106178/

That hump keeps the firing pin from moving forward until fully chambered. at the last about 1/8", there is a block that pivots down to come off that bump.
    I could file off that bump and it would actually work but would then make it not safe.

I'm still hoping someone had one here to post what they had though.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That action is very similar to the Model 39 lever action. I'd have to dig mine out to compare. Perhaps you can find an exploded view of a Model 39.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    round 2. Firing pin came in, fits, fires, but no bang.
    I put in some snap caps and #1, the firing pin is really wide, like .106" wide.
    The first pin was champhered down to a thinner point that is .65" wide.
    Most 22 firing pins are even thinner like .040" or thinner.

I'll take a file to thin this one out, but I also noticed that the breech face is peened so the brass is giving way vs having a hard backing surface so I'm not sure it will go bang unless I correct that.

easy

Nov 25, 2011
    SEOK
    When I had to replace the fp in my 39A it need to be fitted. Looked lie it should have worked but required some filing to get the right amount of travel from the hammer strike. Chamber nock is an easy fix with either a chamber iron or careful use of a center punch.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Did not take care of the chamber breech face yet but did file down the firing pin face to a respectable size. Then I sanded down the large vertical faces of the firing pin to remove tool marks with 320, then 800, then 1500 grit paper.
    cold blue'd it.
    Pulled bullet and powder from 3 22LR rounds and then put it in and each went bang on the first try.
    Its ready for range time. With condition of the bore, I'm not expecting a tack driver but glad to get it running again. Will make a decent indoor range 25 yard plinker

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    round 2. Firing pin came in, fits, fires, but no bang.
    I put in some snap caps and #1, the firing pin is really wide, like .106" wide.
    The first pin was champhered down to a thinner point that is .65" wide.
    Most 22 firing pins are even thinner like .040" or thinner.

I'll take a file to thin this one out, but I also noticed that the breech face is peened so the brass is giving way vs having a hard backing surface so I'm not sure it will go bang unless I correct that.

What did it look like compared to the old one?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Sorry i meant the one that didnt fit.

The Marlin 20 firing pin was Tapered on the front. Its as if the 2nd one (20S) was not filed/finished like the first one.

So, basically, I made the 20S firing pin I got look like the tip of the 20 firing pin which is I guess is where you were headed with it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Consider relining it? Done it to a Win '06. Worked out real well.

Any recommendations on who around here ? I know a guy in PA near Gettysburg that did work on a replacement Sprinfield 1863 barrel to make it a "shooter".

This thing is a sewer pipe. I'm soaking in kroil this week and brushing.
    Don't really want to spend much $ putting good after bad on it. The $40 for the firing pin was I think enough $ to spend. I'll expect relining to cost $150-$200

easy

Nov 25, 2011
    SEOK
    I did it myself. Bought the drill bit($$), chamber reamer and go-gauge. Did it as a 'gift' for the pastor who was 91 at the time. It was his father's gun, first gun he ever shot a squirrel with.

PM me.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Well, took it to the range, bunch of jams and misfires.
    The peening of the breech face from someone dry firing took it toll so about half the Browning 22LR I used I had to cock the hammer back to try again.
    Was better with the Federal automatch I first used in it.

The Carrier (is that what you call it) that lifts the next round seems to rotate too high and half the 22LR would jam. To experiment, I pulled the firing pin at home and 22Short jammed far less often.
    Don't know if there is a way for me to adjust the rotation of the carrier or not.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    When I had to replace the fp in my 39A it need to be fitted. Looked lie it should have worked but required some filing to get the right amount of travel from the hammer strike. Chamber nock is an easy fix with either a chamber iron or careful use of a center punch.

What would I do? work the center punch around the perimeter in order to push steel back to support the rim?
    There is a LOT of metal missing on the breech.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I need to get my old marlin pump out and get pictures of the internals. After fixing the firing pin I can shoot a single shot but the action locks up when cycling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom