• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    I am really starting to think about changing my YHM diamond series rail on my bushy to something different, either troy or DD. The question is that my "low profile" gas block is actually my front A2 sight cut down by Scotts gunsmithing, and my flash hider is permantly installed again. So to remove the YHM would both of those have to come off again. Cause i really don't want to spend that money again having Chad do all that work. If i am stuck with it guess i am stuck with it but what do ya'll think.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I depends on how much he cut the front sight down. Did he remove it to cut it down? Check with him he would know best. Plus it depends on the diameter of the FH.

Do you have a standard barrel nut you could try to slip over both of them?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    The flash hider does need to come off again, as well as the gas block. Not to get the rail off, but to get the barrel nut off and the new barrel nut and rail on. The DD rails are slim. THe gas blocks really need to be trimmed to get them over. The DD gas block as well as the Troy block fit under the DD rails no problem.

mythaeus

Trouble-maker Next Door
    Feb 5, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Actually, it may be a lot easier than you think.

Suggestion retracted, see posts below. Suggested steps only allow for the removal of the delta ring assembly, not the barrel nut. Thanks for the correction JeepDriver.

1. Unscrew the jam nut, and unscrew the YHM rail, remove it
    2. Use a small roll pin punch and punch out the gas tube roll pin, and pull the gas tube into the upper receiver until the front comes out of the FSB, then push it to one side and pull it forward. You may need to use a pair of pliers, the gas tube is strong though, so you won't really damage it.
    3. Use an armorer's tool (multi tool for AR or a barrel nut tool) and unscrew the barrel nut.
    4. Remove the barrel and slide the barrel nut out the back

The installation of another FF rail is essentially the reverse of these steps.

I had a problem with my FSB and could remove it. This was how I removed the delta ring assembly so I can put on an Ergo Z free float. The only difference is that I think the YHM barrel nut protrudes out quite a bit (thicker than the standard nut), so sliding the gas tube out may be more difficult. Worst case, cut the gas tube...it's $10.

To install a DD rail, you will need the specialized DD wrench with a torque wrench. Install the new FF rail by changing the barrel nut, tighten, slide the gas tube back in, hammer the gas tube roll pin back in. The gas tube actually doesn't go through the DD barrel nut, but directly into the upper receiver.

The Ergo Z FF, like several other FF rails, uses the original barrel nut (no delta ring).

Good luck,
    Al

Last edited:

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Actually, it may be a lot easier than you think.

1. Unscrew the jam nut, and unscrew the YHM rail, remove it
    2. Use a small roll pin punch and punch out the gas tube roll pin, and pull the gas tube into the upper receiver until the front comes out of the FSB, then push it to one side and pull it forward. You may need to use a pair of pliers, the gas tube is strong though, so you won't really damage it.
    3. Use an armorer's tool (multi tool for AR or a barrel nut tool) and unscrew the barrel nut.
    4. Remove the barrel and slide the barrel nut out the back

The installation of another FF rail is essentially the reverse of these steps.

I had a problem with my FSB and could remove it. This was how I removed the delta ring assembly so I can put on an Ergo Z free float. The only difference is that I think the YHM barrel nut protrudes out quite a bit (thicker than the standard nut), so sliding the gas tube out may be more difficult. Worst case, cut the gas tube...it's $10.

To install a DD rail, you will need the specialized DD wrench with a torque wrench. Install the new FF rail by changing the barrel nut, tighten, slide the gas tube back in, hammer the gas tube roll pin back in. The gas tube actually doesn't go through uthe DD barrel nut, but directly into the upper receiver.

The Ergo Z FF, like several other FF rails, uses the original barrel nut (no delta ring).

Good luck,
    Al

He has a permently attached flash hider. The barrel nut and gas block will not come off without removing that first.

mythaeus

Trouble-maker Next Door
    Feb 5, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    He has a permently attached flash hider. The barrel nut and gas block will not come off without removing that first.

The steps I suggested do not require the removal of the FH and the FSB/GB. The idea is to remove the gas tube FIRST to allow for the barrel nut to turn loose, remove the barrel, and the barrel nut from the rear of the barrel.

Al

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    How will the barrel nut remove from the rear of the barrel ? The flash hider must be removed for the gas block and barrel nut to be come off.

If a DD rail is installed they have no clearance to go over anything. The barrel must be stripped of the gas block and flash hider.

mythaeus

Trouble-maker Next Door
    Feb 5, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    How will the barrel nut remove from the rear of the barrel ? The flash hider must be removed for the gas block and barrel nut to be come off.

If a DD rail is installed they have no clearance to go over anything. The barrel must be stripped of the gas block and flash hider.

D'oh! My bad...I took a look at the nuts and realized that you can only remove the delta ring assembly from the rear, not the nut. Thanks for the correction.

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom