• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Not at all. My rifle is zeroed at 100 yards and it has a 20 moa base on it. It only comes into play at the longer distances.

0,10 and 20MOA bases from EGW cost the same. I'm following your lead on this one. I'll use a 20MOA base.

Thanks for the tip.:thumbsup:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    That would depend on the internal adjustability of the optic. Nightforce 5.5-22 nxs, for example, has 100 moa adjustment.

Unfortunately, I cant afford that kind of glass right now. Someday... after my kids graduate college.

I told them that I would help them out.... But I have a picture of this posted on the refrigerator.. just in case they want to reciprocate in kind.:innocent0

Attachments

• AIG_Asymmetric_Warrior_338LM_Precision_Sniper_Rifle_Patrol_Pack_2.jpg
      AIG_Asymmetric_Warrior_338LM_Precision_Sniper_Rifle_Patrol_Pack_2.jpg
      57.5 KB · Views: 129

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Unfortunately, I cant afford that kind of glass right now. Someday... after my kids graduate college.

I told them that I would help them out.... But I have a picture of this posted on the refrigerator.. just in case they want to reciprocate in kind.:innocent0

:eek::drool::shocked::drool::whoa:

me likey that set up too!! :D

hylomar

Feb 15, 2009
    SOMD
    The most important thing.... Break in that new barrel correctly. You only get a new barrel once. Don't screw this procedure up.

I'm sure that the bolt-gun gurus will chime in later for correct barrel- break-in procedure.

Ask 5 different barrel makers their break in procedure, you will get 5 differnet answers. I personally shoot 1 clean, shoot 5 and clean. The point is to polish the throat while preventing the copper from building. I also use bullets coated in hex-boron nitride, which reduces copper fowling as well.

As equally important is to use a bore guide. You can screw up the accuracy quickly by poking around in the chamber with out one.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    I know the shim issue keeps coming up, but here's my personal experience. I have a Leupold Mark IV, and without using a shim, I have 15 MOA of upward adjustment left even after setting the scope to a 1,000 yard zero. Seeing as how I don't have any place to shoot beyond 1,000 yards any way, and how, at that distance, a .308 is dropping like a rock, and so another 20 MOA might get you, what, another 150 yards?, I haven't bothered ever getting a shim.

So is there really any reason I would need a shim/tapered mount? Granted, if I was using a scope that had less internal adjustment, it might not be able to make it to a 1,000 yard zero, but this one does.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    I know the shim issue keeps coming up, but here's my personal experience. I have a Leupold Mark IV, and without using a shim, I have 15 MOA of upward adjustment left even after setting the scope to a 1,000 yard zero. Seeing as how I don't have any place to shoot beyond 1,000 yards any way, and how, at that distance, a .308 is dropping like a rock, and so another 20 MOA might get you, what, another 150 yards?, I haven't bothered ever getting a shim.

So is there really any reason I would need a shim/tapered mount? Granted, if I was using a scope that had less internal adjustment, it might not be able to make it to a 1,000 yard zero, but this one does.

While the Mark IV has 100 MOA of total elevation not all optics have that range.

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    First off, great purchase. +1 on going ahead and buying the 20 MOA base. Like Herr said, buy once, cry once. Also, if you are going to get an EGW base, low rings will more than likely be sufficient unless you are going to get something over a 50 mm objective. They will keep the scope closer to the barrel and will help with cheek weld/padding issues. Don't get me wrong, medium rings will work, but the closer you can get your scope to the barrel, the better off you will be. Good luck with entering the world of bolt action rifles!!

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    While the Mark IV has 100 MOA of total elevation not all optics have that range.

I'm actually even luckier than that. Just the way that my scope happens to mount (its "natural zero"?), it's almost like it has a built-in 10 MOA shim. From a 100-yard zero, there's 60 MOA of adjustment up and 40 MOA of adjustment down. With a 20 MOA shim added to that it'd be 80 MOA adjustment up and 20 MOA adjustment down. That'd be some serious distance shooting.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Whoa, very nice. One thing I've noticed about those one-piece Picatinny bases, though, is that they add more elevation than Warner-style rings. Notice how far the scope is off the barrel, even with those low rings that I assume you're using?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Whoa, very nice. One thing I've noticed about those one-piece Picatinny bases, though, is that they add more elevation than Warner-style rings. Notice how far the scope is off the barrel, even with those low rings that I assume you're using?

The Rings are a bit high and I need to get low rings to lessen Height over bore. that may cause issues in the long run.
    It will not be complete unless it is suppressed and it lacks a rear monopod.

I hate bolt guns in general.. It takes away my excuse for shooting bad groups. I can still use the " ammo sucks" excuse.

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    EGW also makes what I believe is called a "low profile" picatinny rail with a 20 MOA base. If you are worried about scope height, that would definately help out. I think it costs an extra $10 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom