• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thats where I disagree. You figure an average of 11000 MSP checks a month from at least Dec til now, at 10 bucks a pop, well you do the math. It may take them a month or so to find qualified personel, but they have themoney by now. That's just my opinion. Then again all that money is probably getting funneled into anti-2a projects

As you pointed out, you are assuming MSP keeps all the money and has carte blanche to do what they want with it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    As you pointed out, you are assuming MSP keeps all the money and has carte blanche to do what they want with it.
    The money doesnt go directly to the MSP, it gets paid to the state. As I mentioned in another thread, the state doesn't care about the backlog. They aren't going to hire temps to deal with a temporary problem with a backlog of applications. From their perspective it they make more money, and the delay keeps us "criminal" gun owners from getting our grubby paws on our guns. It's totally a win/win for the state.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    The money doesnt go directly to the MSP, it gets paid to the state. As I mentioned in another thread, the state doesn't care about the backlog. They aren't going to hire temps to deal with a temporary problem with a backlog of applications. From their perspective it they make more money, and the delay keeps us "criminal" gun owners from getting our grubby paws on our guns. It's totally a win/win for the state.

If effect, we are paying for them to violate our rights. Ugh. As you can see OP, people are not thrilled about the situation.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

There are plenty of willing attorneys...

The first thing you need is the $60,000 retainer fee...

Attorneys, like Cabinet Makers do NOT work for free...

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Sgt Preston here...

There are plenty of willing attorneys...

The first thing you need is the $60,000 retainer fee...

Attorneys, like Cabinet Makers do NOT work for free...

True and I don't blame them, law school wasn't cheap. Id like to know what they may or may not take on the fly.......... meaning a large percentage cut should they win in lieu of payment.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I would guess even 100% wouldn't be enough. They usually only go that route when then KNOW they can settle, which in not the same as winning. You go to court to get a decision, which isn't the same as justice.

Also remember the state (and most corporations) have attorneys on staff. Legal tactics are completely different for the side that is only paying their normal payroll compared to the other side that is paying a bill.

I dunno, my first ex did in fact get one on the fly against Walter Reed somewhere around 1978 - 1980... I don't remember. Bottom line she was blinded in one eye due to inept laser zapping for "floaters" or something like that brought on by diabetes.

Long after we were divorced we were semi friends and she told me they offered to settle for something like 400K but the lawyer didn't even tell her because she wanted millions. It may or may not have been a true story since she could tell "stories". BUT I do know the lawyer took it on the fly.... I think she wanted 50% which seemed fine at the time. I also think my ex was her golden goose because she didn't charge her anything for our "simple no fault divorce" on her end. Mine was done by a reserve navigator in my squadron who was VERY good but he wouldn't take the suit against Walter Reed since he was still participating. :shrug:

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    This is spot on. I am an attorney by trade, and my wait begins Sunday when I fill out the paperwork for a new regulated firearm (Sig P226). I too considered filing an for an injunction due to the wait.

The way I see it, the current law is in our favor as well as recent federal case law on the Second Amendment. However, the court system moves slowly. I figured that even if I had a duplicate of my Motion and Memorandum in Support hand delivered to the CPT that runs licensing on the day the FFL filed my paperwork with notice that I intend to file on the 8th day, and I filed in the Circuit Ct. with a Motion to Shorten Time to Respond, the case would be moot before I got before a judge. The current 40-45 day wait time is long, but in the court system, that is nothing. This is especially so when you consider there is no case to file until 7 days have passed. One final hurdle, I feel like that I will have to involve my FFL in the court process; he would be a necessary witness. Leaving aside the fact most folks don't like to get involved in the court process, there may be some reticence on the FFL's part to get involved given that their livelihood depends on favorable treatment from the MSP Licensing Division. To an FFL, you and I are only one sale.

I am glad there are people on our side looking at this. Probably, a coordinated effort involving willing FFL's and multiple parties will be more effective. I would be happy to get involved in any MSI effort. Even if not, good luck. I will be pulling for you.

Unless I'm mistaken, there are specific statutes, rules, and/or precedent that apply to allow cases to move forward even where a single plaintiff's case would be mooted out and/or s/he would lose standing due to the short duration of harm. How else would any civil rights cases with short time fuses, e.g. human gestation, free speech at protests, etc. ever get through the appeal period? One test, as I recall, is the numbers involved and capability and/or likelihood of future repetition... How many applications are waiting at MSP?

truknbear

Right to arm Bears
    Feb 21, 2013
    HarCo
    Unless I'm mistaken, there are specific statutes, rules, and/or precedent that apply to allow cases to move forward even where a single plaintiff's case would be mooted out and/or s/he would lose standing due to the short duration of harm. How else would any civil rights cases with short time fuses, e.g. human gestation, free speech at protests, etc. ever get through the appeal period? One test, as I recall, is the numbers involved and capability and/or likelihood of future repetition... How many applications are waiting at MSP?

I was thinking on the same line of thought. But if the courts would receive thousands of individual complaints (sort of like a denial of service attack), perhaps it would get their attention. Basically one standard complaint, fill in name, rank & serial number then file (of course with the appropriate remittance payable to Chairman O Mao Lee).

Lightning

Feb 5, 2011
    The Peoples Republic of MD
    Anyone have relatives in a neighboring State? Have them buy a gun you wouldn't mind using and borrow it from them. It's completely legal to borrow a gun as long as you are allowed to possess one.
    Then we wouldn't need to go through this anal probing by the State of MD.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    That is a slam dunk case, all that is left is how much they are going to settle for. Damage such as that is measurable (and easy to prove) damage. Pain and suffering is a little different because pain is subjective; what hurts one person as a 7 on a 1-10 scale is only a 3 to someone else.

Either way, just in my worthless opinion, it is apples to oranges compared to what the OP is thinking of suing over.

Yes it is a slam dunk which is the only way I would expect one to take it up front, no cost.

The OP, not so much, that IMO gets 3 out of 5 tin foils.

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    6xig.jpg

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012

I was considering doing this for myself personally. By the time my case reached its conclusion, I would have my firearm and there would be no more reason for the Court to issue an injunction. With an injunction, the Court issues an order for an adverse party to take a specific action or stop taking some action with regard to the moving party. It is specific to the parties. There would be no reason to issue an order that MSP release my firearm if they have already sent the "not disapproved" letter.

As I said, because of the nature of this type of case, a coordinated effort with multiple complainants and willing FFL's is the way to go. You are right that there are ways to proceed even if cases become moot. The classic case in the federal system was Roe v. Wade. I am not up on the state procedural laws in this area, but I expect some form of class action would be necessary.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Or some big-wig attorney with some nationally recognized organization could file a suit asking for immediate relief because of an undue burden on a fundamental Right. Who knows. Let's see how this plays out. No guarantees, but this is being looked at.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    ... You are right that there are ways to proceed even if cases become moot. The classic case in the federal system was Roe v. Wade.....

+1 on this point. How that was handled might be a good place to look as an example. I am no Lawyer though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom