• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Hello all! I'm looking at various 1911 models chambered in 9mm and of those, a Dan Wesson Pointman 9 is on the shortlist. However, I don't see that particular model on the MD Handgun Roster (https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...e/HandgunRoster/HandgunModels.aspx?manu=18014).

My assumption then is that I can't get a Dan Wesson Pointman 9 in Maryland; is that correct?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Hello all! I'm looking at various 1911 models chambered in 9mm and of those, a Dan Wesson Pointman 9 is on the shortlist. However, I don't see that particular model on the MD Handgun Roster (https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...e/HandgunRoster/HandgunModels.aspx?manu=18014).

My assumption then is that I can't get a Dan Wesson Pointman 9 in Maryland; is that correct?

If this is a hard-to-get model that you're willing to wait for (after paying for it), talk to your local gun shop where you will do the transfer. Some will help petition the Maryland board to include on the roster, a process that might take 3-6 months with your firearm sitting at the LGS during this time. Often they'll know if a handgun is coming up for review (due to prior requests by others) and when.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Get the application into MSP to get it put on the list. They should not need to see the gun in person for a 1911 clone... So you should be able to get it approved at the next meeting.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I forget the women's name but can someone provide him the handgun roster ladies name should he decide to go that route. I used to hav it in my email as someone previously was nice enough to provide it for me.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So this is a process i can do without ffl involvement? Interesting.

As I recall you'll still need an FFL but you can submit it yourself. You buy the pistol and if they reject it they pay you a fair value for the weapon.

A IP would obviously have better knowledge of how this is done but I figured I'd toss my limited knowledge in there for you.

I wouldn't imagine a 1911 getting rejected since there are so many already but it would cost you a couple months time.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Hm, I'll speak with my favorite ffl get their opinion. I'd rather not purchase it prior to submitting it if there's a chance it wouldn't get approved/without some kind of recourse. Too bad the PM9 is limited production.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Hm, I'll speak with my favorite ffl get their opinion. I'd rather not purchase it prior to submitting it if there's a chance it wouldn't get approved/without some kind of recourse. Too bad the PM9 is limited production.

They have to have a sample to FF the weapon at their meetings so to my knowledge there is no way around it.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Well, what's their definition of fair? Lol.

At this point I'm going to need clarification from the board. There's two entries for Dan Wesson the manufacturer, assuming that one is from before their acquisition by CZ and one for afterwards. One of those has an entry for the Pointman (all model numbers) but in .45 only.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    They have to have a sample to FF the weapon at their meetings so to my knowledge there is no way around it.
    Correct. You will have trouble finding FFLs who are willing to do a roster submission, or such was my experience. It involves paperwork, mailing out the gun, sitting on it for a while, etc. Forget asking the manufacturer to do the deed, either - I think I've run into a whopping one of them who even entertained the idea.

That said, to simply add a caliber, I believe you only need to petition the board - no example gun needed.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here is the paperwork that the FFL submits. The firearm must be submitted to the board, so only an FFL can legally do that

Attachments

• Handgun Roster Petition Form.doc
      31 KB · Views: 45

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I really want an RZ 10 but don't want the hassle of a 3 month wait. I have a Heritage in 45 I love.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom