• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Same thing. A little cheaper. Not in stock.

I happen to have a cabela's credit card, so my shipping is only $5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I have the same press but with 3 holes. Whats the 4th hole for?

I have a 4-hole, most calibers it is thusly:

1 - decapping/sizing die
    2 - neck expander/powder charging die (rifle this is just a charging die)
    3 - bullet seating die
    4 - Lee Factory crimp die or standalone crimp die

A lot of people like to seat and crimp in different stages rather than both at once.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I still use mine also. Depending on what you load for you will probably want to at least upgrade the scale. It's not really appropriate for precision. I like the turret press because you can buy new turret inserts and not have to remount your dies.

What else you will need depends on what you are loading for. Like anything else in this obsession you can spend a LOT of money its just how far you want to go. The biggest time saver for me was the powder trickler.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Would this be a good beginners set-up ? What elswe would I need/should Get ?
    Thanks

I think it's a great initial set-up. The quality is good and the two-year replacement warranty is pretty good too. Plus, Lee will replace anything after that for 1/2 the retail price. With all the replacement parts you can get yourself, you can keep it running for years. Also, Lee is much cheaper than the other popular brands.

You'll need the caliber-specific die set and a mounting platform. I got the Lee Reloading Stand. You'll also need some device to clean your brass--there's lots out there.

Helpful is the Safety Primer Feed; Auto Disk Riser; Case Trimmer; and a caliber-specific Case Length Gauge or Quick Trim Die.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    I have a 4-hole, most calibers it is thusly:

1 - decapping/sizing die
    2 - neck expander/powder charging die (rifle this is just a charging die)
    3 - bullet seating die
    4 - Lee Factory crimp die or standalone crimp die

A lot of people like to seat and crimp in different stages rather than both at once.

I see.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the advise - I am going to purchase the Lee. I only intend to reload calibers that we shoot, mainly .223/.556 and 9mm, 30 cal carbine. What die sets do I need ? does a set cover multiple calibers ?

Get the Lee sets for all three. You'll need the rifle through die for the .223 and the extra disk pack so you can use the automagic powder thrower. There are YouTube vids for how to set them up, I highly recommend you look at them. Since you're loading .223, you may want a separate single stage press for the crimp remover or you'll get cramps using a hand one. Or get the Dillon crimp remover. And get a digital scale, it makes things easier.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Get the Lee sets for all three. You'll need the rifle through die for the .223 and the extra disk pack so you can use the automagic powder thrower. There are YouTube vids for how to set them up, I highly recommend you look at them. Since you're loading .223, you may want a separate single stage press for the crimp remover or you'll get cramps using a hand one. Or get the Dillon crimp remover. And get a digital scale, it makes things easier.

The Dillon Superswag is about the best solution I've found, but de-swagging is still a pain in the balzac.

OP- for 223, you'll also need a trimmer of some kind. I've had good luck with the WFT, for "quick and dirty" trimming.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    I recommend getting the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar (http://leeprecision.com/adj-charge-bar.html) and the auto disk riser (http://leeprecision.com/auto-disk-riser.html). The charge bar eliminates the disks that come with the powder measure and is easy to change charge weights without removing the measure. Just dial in the new charge volume, double check w/ scale and start loading. The riser ensures the measure clears the other dies as it rotates.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    If you can afford a little extra the cast version of the 4 hole turret press is worth the upgrade. The cast turret kit (I believe called the classic) comes with the pro version of the auto disk powder measure vs the standard. The cast turret press also has more travel of the ram to load longer (rifle) calibers. The cast kit is about a $50-$60 dollar upgrade.

splatzplayer

Jan 20, 2014
    I just started reloading and I got the lee 4hole kit and 9mm dies. I have already in the first week done over 200 rounds with only one bad round. (My fault). I found the auto disk did not match the grain on the chart but once you find the right size it is very constant. I love this set up very easy to use.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    I just started reloading and I got the lee 4hole kit and 9mm dies. I have already in the first week done over 200 rounds with only one bad round. (My fault). I found the auto disk did not match the grain on the chart but once you find the right size it is very constant. I love this set up very easy to use.

The consistency of the auto disk is somewhat dependent on the powder. If you use a spherical powder, no problem. If you use flaked powder, just be sure your charges are not below starting or over max--that can be a wide swing, so shoot for the middle.

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.

Thanks to all for the info. What I suspected seems to be true; if I buy a low priced kit to begin with I would then spend $ to buy a lot of upgrades. I am not opposed to spending more (of my wife's $) upfront and get some of the item's that have been suggested. Could you give me any suggestions on another kit that has some better item's included. < $300 or used stuff from a MDS member ?

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Thanks to all for the info. What I suspected seems to be true; if I buy a low priced kit to begin with I would then spend $ to buy a lot of upgrades. I am not opposed to spending more (of my wife's $) upfront and get some of the item's that have been suggested. Could you give me any suggestions on another kit that has some better item's included. < $300 or used stuff from a MDS member ?

All kits are starters. You're going to have to get caliber specific stuff no matter what brand you buy. Other popular brands are Dillon and RCBS. Search the Internet for pricing and I think you'll find their equivalent kits cost two to three times as much as the Lee kit.

For example, I can get a 4-die carbide kit from Lee for about $45. RCBS will run closer to $70 for a 3-die kit. It goes on from there. I've not heard of anyone complaining that a Lee kit is any less quality, but you should make up your own mind. If I thought it would cost me $700 just to get started, I wouldn't be reloading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom