• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    There's always the risk of being too much in a hurry when trying to put 124 gr through a tiny window at 1000 fps.

E9356366-1DB0-4064-9041-68F579338487_zpsvuxep3vo.jpg

This is the riser rod that is used to hold the diffuser.

B18F5A36-0D33-4552-81B3-470953BC648B_zpsxgpcnaxz.jpg

The rear sensor took a beating, but was OK.

697BADA6-C794-4CBB-A9FA-1F9C39C3167C_zpsbutolbk2.jpg

Here is my fix to reduce the impact of a stray hitting the riser rod. Here's my fix for the future. Cut the rod that is the riser for the diffuser a couple of inches from the bottom. Using rubber vacuum hose with 1/8" inside diameter from the auto parts store, use it to connect the two pieces of the rod. Not sure that will totally make the Chrony shock proof, but it should significantly reduce the potential for damage from the rigid rod getting hit by a stray bullet. I was able to use 8-32 threaded rod from Home Depot to replace the damaged rod.

8ED155BB-C73D-4917-AED1-6FF2449EBB26_zpslskhfgty.jpg

Here are the other precautions I had taken. Basically, placing a steel plate in front of the chronograph chassis. (That may not be a good idea if a stray actually does hit the plate, which is only about 10 feet away.)

8FB5C03C-5A98-4CD5-80F0-696680418BBE_zpsydbdqsfi.jpg

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Can't tell from the photo, but shooting steel at less than 30' away is not recommended...down right dangerous.

Yeah, that occurred to me afterwards. I was not shooting at the near plate, but using it to shield the Chrony. Won't be doing that again. The target I was shooting at was 10 to 12 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Came out better than some of us have. :innocent0

My chrony lasted 3 range trips before it met it's end testing a 9mm load for someone else with their gun/ammo.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    My chrony lasted 3 range trips before it met it's end testing a 9mm load for someone else with their gun/ammo.

I got the F1 Master Chrony and apparently I can get a replacement chassis with sensors and diffuser for $69.95 plus shipping, should I ever need it. Does anyone know if you can use the remote display with a regular F1 Chrony?

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    That sucks, but I'm glad it was just the rod that you hit.

If I was going to make a shield for mine, I would bend a piece or make a "V" somehow, with the point facing me. That would only work at a private range where you have plenty of distance to each side with nothing in danger of a ricochet, though (which would work where I shoot mine)

I have the F1 Master and I love it, except those dang crappy white plastic pieces to shield sunlight on clear days. I need to replace those with something else, they give me fits and aren't going to last long.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    You know there is no "magic" as to those diffusers? You could just not use the factory rods / diffuser. Put the bare chrony in a box with a wire frame holding wax paper over it. heck, you could use a cardboard box with the sides / top cut and the wax paper glued on. No danger to the unit from a rod strike that way.

The steel plate protector is a good idea, but angle it down so the shrapnel is tossed safer. And as stated, distance is your friend when potentially hitting steel.

Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    I did the same to mine with a 40cal round. I replaced my rods with 1/4 dowel and works fine. If it gets hit, they just break and do not destroy the sensors.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    I did the same to mine with a 40cal round. I replaced my rods with 1/4 dowel and works fine. If it gets hit, they just break and do not destroy the sensors.

How'd you get ¼" dowels to fit? Someone suggested bamboo skewers used in cooking (and interrogations :P ).

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    How far away do you have to put that Chrony?
    Your not using a pistol rest?

Maybe you can put something on the front that is thick and sacrificial but does not splatter the bullet as much?

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    The Chrony is at least 10' away--too close for steel. I'm thinking sandbags. I rest my pistol on my range bag on a table.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    IIRC you even posted a thread about it and asked if anybody wanted a gently used chrony.

Think that was BenL, he shot his when he forgot to re-zero for the shorter distance. :)

My chrony never made it home that day, it got set on the 100 yard berm and everyone took shots at it. It died a noble death.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Think that was BenL, he shot his when he forgot to re-zero for the shorter distance. :)

My chrony never made it home that day, it got set on the 100 yard berm and everyone took shots at it. It died a noble death.

You could have still traded it in. Shooting Chrony will take them shot up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Well, while it survived the 9mm hit, the .45ACP took a bigger chunk. Amazing thing is, it still works!

uzugenat.jpg

dura7yne.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom