• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    We will be hosting an NRA Basic Pistol course, including the training for the Maryland HQL, on August 9th. The classroom portion will be taught in Halethorpe and range time will be done at the AGC range in Marriottsville. Start time will be 8:00 am. The cost is $125 per person. Register on our website to guarantee you a seat in the class.

All of our classes are taught by combat veterans from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. We bring these real-world experiences to each and every class we teach.

The use of a handgun is required for this course. If you do not already own a handgun, we have 9mm and .45 ACP semi-auto handguns and .357 magnum revolvers available. There is an extra cost of $50 for the use of our handgun and 50 rounds of ammunition.

This course is at least eight hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot revolvers and semi-automatic handguns. Students learn:
    • NRA's rules for safe gun handling
    • pistol parts and operation
    • ammunition
    • shooting fundamentals
    • range rules
    • shooting from the bench rest position and two handed standing positions
    • cleaning the pistol
    • and continued opportunities for skill development

Students will receive:

• NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook
    • NRA Gun Safety Rules
    • Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet
    • take a Basics of Pistol Shooting Student Examination
    • and course completion certificate (suitable for framing)

rdblan2

Mar 10, 2007
    I've been shooting all my life, but never took an actual "class". Is this for me? I obviously know how to handle a pistol safely and where the boom button is, etc. I also already have my HQL.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I've been shooting all my life, but never took an actual "class". Is this for me? I obviously know how to handle a pistol safely and where the boom button is, etc. I also already have my HQL.

Depending on your future goals, there are more advanced courses that may require this in order to participate.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    We have had people shooting for decades learn something new in every class. We've even taught a few old dogs some new tricks in our HQL classes...LOL

If you're looking to improve your shooting skills, then yes. It is a good course. If you're already a grand champion in IDPA, then no. We probably can't help you...LOL

If you wanted to take the Personal Protection in the Home course or move on to advanced pistol courses provided by the NRA, then you will need to take the NRA Basic course. Each instructor or training counselor can waive certain requirements, though.

You're welcome to stop by the shop and talk about the course in more detail if you would like. I'll be there all week.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I went through a couple of instructor courses along with the guys from Tyler Firearms, & they're real down to earth guys with good experience, & able to work with people ranging from never-touched-a-gun, to other veterans & people with experience. I think this would be a great class with some humor & personality.

rdblan2

Mar 10, 2007
    Well assuming you can make my pistol targets look less like shotgun patterns, sounds like I should take this!

rdblan2

Mar 10, 2007
    When I registered the gf and I, the confirmation email shows "HQL class". I did register for the right class didn't I?

PHRFcrewman

Jul 20, 2014
    Hamilton, Baltimore
    Huge thanks to the Tyler Firearms Staff for the excellent training today.
    I learned so much, and can't wait to get on the range again to practice.
    This was my first time firing a pistol and with your help, I'm now a lot more comfortable with one.
    My Father-in-Law had a great time too, and the training was just about all he could talk about during dinner.

Thanks again. I am truly thankful that Kenny didn't have to kill me as I learned to keep my finger off the trigger. :D

To anyone looking for a beginners pistol class, I can't recommend these guys enough.

rdblan2

Mar 10, 2007
    The GF and I had a great time too. Even though my front site fell off my pistol. :lol2:

Least that answered why all my shots were going left!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom