• I have both AR(s) and AK(s) included in my HD plan

Votes: 123 30.9%
    • I do not own either

Votes: 18 4.5%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Mr H

Banana'd
    In the current decision, the judge (paraphrasing) stated that ARs and AKs are not commonly owned for lawful [defensive] purposes.

Putting aside her presupposition that only criminals would have them, I ask the membership to state whether their ARs and/or AKs are considereed part of your home defense arrangement.

For clarification...

Don't think only in terms of "intruder". Home Defense should be considered in more general application, too. OK, maybe not walking the back 40, but think about your immediate property, too.

If you are working on adding an AR/AK to the plan, that counts too.

Last edited:

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    While I understand where you are going with this, I think it's a fairly useless poll on our forums. We have an adverse selection group here when asking this question.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Understood, but I disagree. Who better than gun owners, to say why they own them?

We're not going to find a statistically significant number of Bodymore criminals with ARs and AKs... we know this.

So, as the ruling is directed at [previously] legal firearms ownership, I put this out there for the key constituency to answer.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    At the current time I don't have either, but would most likely add one in the future for home defense. You might want to add an additional selection - do you plan to have an AR or AK for home defense in the future.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I am going for option #6: Irrelevant. Just because it's Nevah Ben Dun befo does not make it ok [to ban]. New technology by definition, would not be common in this sense. I do not think "common" means common among the civilian general population, I think it means common for use among government employees. After all the point is that the population are generally equally armed as the govt.

Mr H

Banana'd
    At the current time I don't have either, but would most likely add one in the future for home defense. You might want to add an additional selection - do you plan to have an AR or AK for home defense in the future.

Can't alter the poll, but noted.

I didn't include this because the ruling was made in current context, but I understand your point.

I would say vote according to what you are thinking of doing... as that's part of your "plan"

Last edited:

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Current context is - If I can't buy one in MD, but would if I lived in _______ state, and used it for home defense, that still counts as common use. It would be common use if it weren't for FSA 2013, and could be in most other states of the U.S.

Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee

This. I would very much like an AR-15 but haven't bought one yet. Once I have one, it will feature in my HD plan.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I am going for option #6: Irrelevant. Just because it's Nevah Ben Dun befo does not make it ok [to ban]. New technology by definition, would not be common in this sense. I do not think "common" means common among the civilian general population, I think it means common for use among government employees. After all the point is that the population are generally equally armed as the govt.

Smart guns are not common and therefore fall outside the test, meaning they should be banned.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The problem is even gun owners themselves. Ask 100 gun owners if a 9mm or a 5.56 is safer to use in a house. 99 of them will tell you the 9mm is safer in a home.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    With "home defense" ARs you have to think outside the box.

You're not shooting an AR inside your house. Not without a suppressor. Even with a suppressor it's going to be LOUD.

However, in case of a breakdown of society, for example an event that gets looters coming for you and your stuff, an AR is a pretty good weapon to defend against that. I have property. My AR is to defend our home in that kind of situation. That's specifically what I bought it for (apart from target shooting at the range).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I will be using my suppressed 9mm SBR as soon as I get the EOTech sighted in. It's reliable, holds 32, is accurate, I can mount a light on it. It won't be too loud in the house.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    mkar2.jpg

my primary HD gun. I chose it because

1) Penetration- I live in a townhouse and the 5.56 with a proper bullet provides both good "stopping power" AND greatly reduces the risk of overpenetration to my neighbors.

2) capacity- I don't know how many shots it will take to stop a threat, or how many people may be threatening my family. I use the standard 30 round magazine, giving me twice the opportunities to address a threat if need be than a standard handgun, and over 4 times the opportunities when compared to a typical HD shotgun.

3) Sharing with wife- The AR is light and small enough for my wife to comfortably handle, and I can collapse the stock to fit her, or extend it to fit me.

4) recoil- 5.56 out of an AR has very light recoil, enabling me to more easily place accurate shots on the threat. This both increases my odds of stopping the threat and also reduces the chance I'll miss and pose a risk to the neighbors.

5) common- My AR is the most common sporting/defensive/huntin rifle being sold today. There is a huge amount of aftermarket parts to allow me to configure the AR to my needs, and fix it if anything wears or breaks.

6) "stopping power"- Using that term, the AR has about 3 times the energy to cause trauma and stop a threat than a handgun. It both increases the chances of me stopping a threat before it harms my family, and decreases the number of times I have to shoot(limiting possible liabilities)

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I don't know what you guys are talking about. The AR and AK are not in common use. The Vz.58, AR-15 HBAR, SCAR, SIG556, etc are in common use.

whitelightning777

May 20, 2013
    For home defense any reliable gun is OK. Just use glasser or magsafe, maybe hollow points if nothing else is available.

Avoid range stuff to prevent over penetration.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    For home defense any reliable gun is OK. Just use glasser or magsafe, maybe hollow points if nothing else is available.

Avoid range stuff to prevent over penetration.

both fail to penetrate enough to be satisfactory HD rounds in pistols. For pistols, something like a HST, gold dot, pdx1, dpx, or ranger t are the best. You want something that will expand as much as possible, but more importantly..that reaches the 12-16" mark of penetration.

The reality for handgun use in a home is that they will punch a lot of walls if they're a decent HD round...shotgun buckshot too. It's one of the cool things about the 5.56 of correct bullet design. They're capable of creating sufficient trauma while also breaking up relatively well through drywall and shedding energy quick to limit penetration of the pieces on the other side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom