What guns would you take on an expedition to Alaska?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Great pics Minuteman, but I didn't see Sara, so I guess I am staying home. :) But if I was going, Ruger .44 mag revolver, and a Marlin big loop lever .45-70, no scope to save weight.

Ok, I was getting there... a lot of guns mentioned already in this thread, and very few folks posting pics. Let me just jump ahead a bit...

Sarah%20Palin%20Amazing%20America.jpg

Don't let this factoid fool you:
    urine1-262x300.jpg

No matter how desperate the lack of water situation, don't drink urine, nope don't do it:
    gsroqimmua8lgkm0ga2w.jpg

Back to the Alaskan guns...

Ice_Cream_with_Jaiden_Grizzly_Bear_Pic_s_June_2_2008_052.jpg

mmmGqd3EVXORDK8wnbvL0XQ.jpg

IMG_2626-672x900.jpg

warren-m-burnsie-800x600.jpg

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Here are my pics

Protection
    Rem 700 in .300 Win mag; big gun for big animals.....

Hunting
    Ruger 10/22 and Rem 870 with bird shot; lets face it, if you are trying to survive are you really going to shoot a moose or bear as a meal then move on? I'm thinking small game hunting is the way to go.

Tradeoffs. Small game makes sense. But what's that they say? Some days you eat the bear? Some days the bear eats you?

Sometimes, there's this rather unpleasant tingle on the back of my neck that tells me that all is....shall we say....perhaps somewhat less than well??? :D

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If I had to choose from firearms I have now,

Winchester 94 in .45 Colt with 50 rounds of +P hard cast 255gr ammunition
    Ruger Mark II, one bulk box of .22 HP ammunition

Since it's going to be a trek, 50 shotgun shells weighs more and takes up more room than the above ammunition loadout. Jeeves is not following me around carrying my stuff, so I'm lugging this and the rest of my gear over hill and dale.

Guns I don't own but would use if I have the foresight to pick them up prior to getting dumped in BFE Alaska:

Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70, 50 rounds of +P hard cast lead ammunition
    Ruger Single-Six with one bulk box of .22 HP ammunition

From deer to moose to Kodiaks, that 45-70 will take them down. The Ruger is for birds and rodents. Again, I'm not Charles Atlas, I'm not lugging a ton of ammunition and both firearms and loadouts are what I'd need for 6 weeks of slogging through Alaska with my gear.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    my side arm would be in 45acp and rifle wise i'd take something in 7.62x39 whether it being Ak-47 or Sks(detachable mags) with reliable illuminated optics.

I guess you are hoping that a brown bear doesn't decide to make you into an appetizer.

.45 ACP and 7.62x39 are fine and dandy when the threat/dinner is human sized. Start getting into larger stuff, like caribou, moose, large deer, and brown bear and you had better be shooting them through the eye.

This thread makes for a good debate.

Me, I would bring my:

1) Ruger77MKII in .300 Win Mag with 3-12x
    2) Benelli SBE 12 gauge chambered for 2 3/4" to 3 1/2"
    3) Ruger 10/22

Optimally, I would probably want something in .338 Win Mag or .375 H&H and a handgun like the Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull, which is also capable of shooting .45 ACP.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    My choices would be:

Remington 870 w/ slug barrel and shot barrel w/ screw-in choke tubes. 12 ga., of course.

Ruger 10/22 Takedown with 3-9x sope.

S&W mdl 41 w/ 5-1/2" barrel.

Dan Wesson 44 VH-8 w/ VH-4 barrel assembly.

Glock G21

Marlin 1895G in .45-70 w/ 2-7x scope in Warne Quick Release rings.

Remington 700 BDL in .30-'06 w/4-12x scope.

My reloading equipment for all of the above and as many magazines that I can carry.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Handgun 44 Mag or 10mm auto.
    Rifle 300 Win mag

I would take by 338 Win Mag, only because I sold my 375 H&H.

Preliminary option B "The Hunter": Win Mod 70 in .375 H&H and a S&W Model 29 in .44 mag.

I guess you are hoping that a brown bear doesn't decide to make you into an appetizer.

.45 ACP and 7.62x39 are fine and dandy when the threat/dinner is human sized. Start getting into larger stuff, like caribou, moose, large deer, and brown bear and you had better be shooting them through the eye.

This thread makes for a good debate.

Me, I would bring my:

1) Ruger77MKII in .300 Win Mag with 3-12x
    2) Benelli SBE 12 gauge chambered for 2 3/4" to 3 1/2"
    3) Ruger 10/22

Optimally, I would probably want something in .338 Win Mag or .375 H&H and a handgun like the Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull, which is also capable of shooting .45 ACP.

Alotta good posts here and there is definitely a huge trend with rifle and handgun calibers.

Handguns: Primarily revolvers with minimal caliber of .44 Magnum.:thumbsup:

Rifles: Primarily a bolt action with a minimum caliber of .300 Win Magnum with emphasis on the .375 H&H Magnum (the latter is my choice). Also a close second is a lever action in .45/70. I'm not so certain I'd care for the .45/70 due to it's short range for truly good effectiveness on the really big stuff. The .375 H&H has the poop behind it to reach out with ME being very near 4,000 ft pds. I'd prefer a .458 Win Mag or .458 Lott but the trajectory really becomes steep at longer ranges and the recoil is quite stout with the Lott in a light rifle (the .458 Win Mag is stout too but not as severe as the Lott).

BTW, I used to shoot these big bores (not the Lott) up to and including the .505 Gibbs. Some of them can be shoulder bruisers in a BIG way.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The question I pose to you, good reader of MDShooters; inspired by the concept of surviving in rural Alaska - which gun(s) would you take to harvest food, and protect yourself from predators (both four legged and two)? Sharing your rationale is half the fun; why did you chose each gun and caliber? What features, i.e. - light weight, range, accuracy, capacity, reliability, maintenance, simplicity most influenced your choices?

I think people may have lost track of the original premise. The question was not what arsenal would cover every possible hunt you can go on in AK.The question was what would you take to feed and orotect yourself. A bear is a terrible choice of quarry in a survival situation. What are you going to do with 300lbs of meat all at thesame time ? A 300 win mag is not much use to take a goose. A bear at 400yrds is no threat, at 50yrds where he is a threat, the 12ga with slugs is going to be sufficient. Maybe a stainless revolver for 2-legged threats, but between that and some additional firemaking equipment, extra shells or emergency medical pack, I would probably leave the second gun home.

So 12 ga stainless pump, synthetic stock, rail and a rugged low-power scope it is.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I think people may have lost track of the original premise. The question was not what arsenal would cover every possible hunt you can go on in AK.The question was what would you take to feed and orotect yourself. ....

Good catch.

And again, this doesn't have to be guns anyone already owns, it's 'ideal' firearms.

The more I think about it, I think I'd be best served with a light weight 'big bore' revolver (maybe 454 would be ideal?) just for protection, and a .22LR to harvest single meal sized game.

Then again, I think I could do both of these chores with just a FN 5.7 pistol. Would save a lot of weight too.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I think people may have lost track of the original premise. The question was not what arsenal would cover every possible hunt you can go on in AK.The question was what would you take to feed and orotect yourself. A bear is a terrible choice of quarry in a survival situation. What are you going to do with 300lbs of meat all at thesame time ? A 300 win mag is not much use to take a goose. A bear at 400yrds is no threat, at 50yrds where he is a threat, the 12ga with slugs is going to be sufficient. Maybe a stainless revolver for 2-legged threats, but between that and some additional firemaking equipment, extra shells or emergency medical pack, I would probably leave the second gun home.

So 12 ga stainless pump, synthetic stock, rail and a rugged low-power scope it is.

Are we talking about surviving in Alaska? They kill deer and larger animals all the time for survival. What am I going to do with 300 pounds of meat during the winter? I don't know, maybe freeze it. Then, you have the ability to smoke it or dry it out in some other manner too.

If you are hunting to live in Alaska, I am betting you aren't going to be too picky about what you have to kill and whether any meat will go to waste.

Miniteman also hinted at a 5.7 handgun. Something else to think about is ammo availability. Are we just going over there for 30 days, or are we talking about firearms that would allow us to actually live in Alaska and live off the land?

Lots of what ifs.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    All around, Benelli SBE II. and a .44 Desert Eagle. I'm fond of semi-auto's. Though watching the people that live there and feed themselves, they rarely carry or use shotguns. Without a dog or decoys. Small game gets iffy at close range. The AR-10 seems very popular. So I would probably swap the shotgun for a .308 repr. When you look at little critters as food, traps and fishing tackle becomes more productive.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Miniteman also hinted at a 5.7 handgun. Something else to think about is ammo availability. Are we just going over there for 30 days, or are we talking about firearms that would allow us to actually live in Alaska and live off the land?

Lots of what ifs.

The premise was an orienteering type hike where you carry what you need for survival. I maintain that a 5.5lb shotty with a float bag full of assorted shells is going to have much more utility than 15lbs of long-range bolt-gun and heavy large caliber revolver.

If you watch those shows about backcountry living in AK, you see the natives taking caribou with .22 and take deer with BP rifles.

If the threads premise was: What big bore guns do you like? then most of the entries so far make more sense.

Trying to remember who makes the OU with a .22 and a 12ga barrel. If putting food on the campfire is the objective and you have to carry the thing all day, that would seem another reasonable choice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom