• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which Caliber would you choose for a new Ruger Precision Rifle?

• 243 Win

Votes: 3 4.1%
    • 6.5 CM

Votes: 30 41.1%
    • 308 Win

Votes: 40 54.8%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Which of the three available calibers (243 Win, 6.5 CM, or 308 Win) would you choose if you were to get a Ruger Precision Rifle?

Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    .308, I like how it performs, I have a bunch of guns already in it and ammo is everywhere.

Sent from my KFSAWI using Tapatalk

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    D - None of the above.

I'd stay in the 6.5 family, but I wouldn't go with the Creedmoor simply because I am already set up for .260.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Within Maryland borders, the .243 will kill anything with a heartbeat.

Great bench caliber in a light weight rifle.

It won't beat you up recoil wise.

Ammo is readily available.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Like everything else in life, it depends. If I were buying a rifle for long range shooting and competition, I'd pick the 6.5 CM. Anything else and I'd get a different rifle.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    308. Does everything pretty well, very common, many great accuracy loadings, and shared ammo capability with other guns. No need to stock up another cartridge. Just my $.02

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I would probably recommend .308 due to the abundance of factory match ammo available.

Great for someone starting out in precision rifle who doesn't yet reload.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    If you are never going to shoot past 500 yards the 308 is king. It has the most amount of factory match ammo. Everyone makes brass if you are going to reload. It has the best barrel life by far.

If you are going to shoot past 500 yards ever, the 6.5 creed is tough to beat. It is superior to the 308 as far as ballistics and recoil. The barrel life is not as long as the 308 but it is still pretty good. The Hornady match loads are accurate and inexpensive as far as match ammo is concerned. If you reload the recipe is on the side of the box.

If you are going to compete, the 243 is king. Match ammo is not available from the major companies. It is through some boutique companies but it is pretty much a reloads caliber of you are looking for match ammo. For hunting ammo plenty is available but it lacks the high BC bullets for long range shooting. At long range it will buy you the advantage of being flatter shooting and bucks the wind the best but will come at the cost of barrels if you shoot enough to get good.

For me it would be the creed. I don't take the bolt guns out unless I am going to Mifflin where I can shoot out to 1000 yards. I have a 260 but the appeal of $25/box match ammo if I don't feel like reloading is more appealing than $55/ box match ammo if I don't feel like reloading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom