• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which Caliber would you choose for a new Ruger Precision Rifle?

• 243 Win

Votes: 3 4.1%
    • 6.5 CM

Votes: 30 41.1%
    • 308 Win

Votes: 40 54.8%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Which of the three available calibers (243 Win, 6.5 CM, or 308 Win) would you choose if you were to get a Ruger Precision Rifle?
    What are you going to do with it?

If punching paper, the .243 has a lot going for it; low recoil, good exterior ballistics. A recurring problem with the 6mm in the long range matches is that they are very hard to spot and you may not get credit for every hit or data from the misses. Barrel life could be better.

If shooting long range steel matches, the 6.5 Creedmoor will be most competitive, and will generally shoot a little better than the .243 on paper matches like F-class. The heavier bullets (than the .243) provide enough impact at long range to mark hits and misses.

The benefits of a .308 are limited to better ammo availability and the ability to shoot those matches that are limited to .308 only, such as some ASC events and F/TR.

I would not buy a rifle like this for a hunting rifle myself, it is awkward to carry through the woods and there are MANY better platforms.

If you're shooting informally inside 500-600 yards, it will not matter which of these three calibers you choose and arguments like barrel life, recoil, ammo cost, etc. have more substance.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    A Gen2 in 308 just popped up on the local classifieds a couple days ago. I shoulda jumped on it...

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I passed on a .243 right before the election because I decided at the time to spend my toy money on things that will surely be outlawed in 2017 :lol2:

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    If you're shooting informally inside 500-600 yards, it will not matter which of these three calibers you choose and arguments like barrel life, recoil, ammo cost, etc. have more substance.

This was the reason why I went with 308 for my RPR. I have regular access to 200-300yd ranges. 500yd is a long drive and happens a few times a year. 800yd on a private range in north PA happens once a year. 308 will get it done at those ranges fine, barrel life is optimal, and the selection of inexpensive match rounds (compared to other calibers) as well as plinking for 300yd and under is the best out there.

Maybe I'm new to the whole long range rifle thing, but it was almost offensive how much more accurate the RPR was at Hap Baker 200yd, shooting cheap brass vs my other rifles... Boringly accurate, and gentle once I put the little bastard brake on.

May 19, 2020
    Anyone know if the Ruger 18080 (RPR 338) is on the MD Roster?

Am thinking about getting one. I do know that the Ruger 18081 (RPR 300WinMag) was NOT because I just bought one and my FFL is currently petitioning the Roster Board to have it added. Thanks.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I was going to reply but reading through the thread saw I already did in 2016 lol

May 19, 2020
    That's exactly what I told her yesterday. But she insists there are restricted rifles also which she will have to petition the MDSP (just like handguns which I've had to do several times.) I was shocked because I already own the RPR 308 and 6.5.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    That's exactly what I told her yesterday. But she insists there are restricted rifles also which she will have to petition the MDSP (just like handguns which I've had to do several times.) I was shocked because I already own the RPR 308 and 6.5.

Agree with the suggestion that you find a new FFL as your current one clearly doesn't want your business. There is no rifle "roster".

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Name the FFL so nobody else goes there.
    She has no idea what the hell she’s talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

Who is this FFL?

You're wasting a whole lot of time using them. There are no rifles on the handgun roster. That's why it's a handgun roster

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For the Record , since Oct 1 2013 there are no longer any such thing as Regulated Rifles , either cash & carry or Banned .

It's not a Roster , but MSP does have a non- binding " White List " of potentially ambigous semiauto rifles . But a conventional bolt action by no possible stretch of the imagination would be effect by FSA .

May 19, 2020
    Name of FFL is . . .

Geared Up Firearms Training and Accessories, Inc. at 19 N. Court St., Westminster, MD 21157. Finally got a text from her saying I can create a 77R.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Geared Up Firearms Training and Accessories, Inc. at 19 N. Court St., Westminster, MD 21157. Finally got a text from her saying I can create a 77R.

You don’t fill out a 77r for a rifle. Find a different FFL who knows what they are doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 19, 2020
    Any recommendations on an inexpensive* FFL not far from Ellicott City MD?

*I liked getting a discount for aggregating and picking up numerous firearms at the same time.

But you guys are right. It's time to change FFL's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom