John Lott New Book, 8/16, "The War on Guns: Arming Yourself Against Gun Control Lies"

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    Old news or not, it speaks to the man's character--or apparent lack thereof. I thought he was one of the good guys, with solid, honest, factual research.

It's a shame that I will no longer be able to cite his work.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    All of the complaints and so-called "proven bias" of Lott that I have seen've been debunked by facts (not hyperbole, which is all that I've seen from Lott's detractors).
    Lott's a terrible speaker (I've seen him twice and he outta come with an FDA warning label about not operating machinery during or immediately afterwards), but a brilliant source for credible and well- and reliably-sourced factual evidence.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Mark Levin had Lott on his radio show Friday night, glowing endorsement of him and his new book.

Considers Lott the go-to source for facts and research.

So there's room for debate, or maybe Levin didn't do his research, which would be a surprise.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Old news or not, it speaks to the man's character--or apparent lack thereof. I thought he was one of the good guys, with solid, honest, factual research.

It's a shame that I will no longer be able to cite his work.

Then whose work will you cite ? Are there any studies other than those cranked out by the FBI or CDC (who Lott cites), or would something from Daniel Webster at JHU, funded by Bloomberg Buck$$$, suffice ?

Could there possibly be another reason to question Lott's credibility beyond self-promoting reviews.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Yes sir.

Then whose work will you cite ? Are there any studies other than those cranked out by the FBI or CDC (who Lott cites), or would something from Daniel Webster at JHU, funded by Bloomberg Buck$$$, suffice ?

Could there possibly be another reason to question Lott's credibility beyond self-promoting reviews.

bonus for those that get it, and enjoyed this innocent period of American history-
    4N1iwQxiHrs

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    The other side can't touch his analysis and the thoroughness of his work so they go after him personally. We've all seen it before, it's what they do. To me it seems that he is a little thin skinned and did some boneheaded things like make up a supportive username etc. But that might be understandable when you are being trashed daily by people who haven't even read your work. IIRC when his laptop crashed he had sent out his data-set to other economists for peer review. Not one of them would send him a copy back. He has recreated the majority of that data in the years since and his work has been validated.
    Alinsky Rule #5 “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.”

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    The other side can't touch his analysis and the thoroughness of his work so they go after him personally. We've all seen it before, it's what they do. To me it seems that he is a little thin skinned and did some boneheaded things like make up a supportive username etc. But that might be understandable when you are being trashed daily by people who haven't even read your work. IIRC when his laptop crashed he had sent out his data-set to other economists for peer review. Not one of them would send him a copy back. He has recreated the majority of that data in the years since and his work has been validated.
    Alinsky Rule #5 “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.”

This is my understanding. The man is an analyst and not a public speaker and does not do well under the spot light. While many have questioned his analysis, I have not seen where he has been proven wrong..

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    This is my understanding. The man is an analyst and not a public speaker and does not do well under the spot light. While many have questioned his analysis, I have not seen where he has been proven wrong..

Maybe he should publish under a pseudonym. Or legally change his name to something like "Michael Bloomberg." :evilgrin3 :innocent0

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Yes he is thin skined..

Originally he was in support of gun control..then he followed the data. Then he got f.ked over..

He is,frequently at the GRPC conference and I will likely buy his book there..

Incidentally his assistant is drop dead gorgeous...she's worth the trip all by herself...

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    http://johnrlott.tripod.com/malkinsoped.html

And that is his side of the story. I'm still not buying. You are going to need someone more trustworthy to cite and rely on for facts, IMO. He may be 100% correct, but using him as the source to back your opinion is worthless because his name is known among antis as a debunked fraud.

Might as well use Brian Williams or Hillary as your source.

I'm not sure I understand, are you saying John Lott has been "debunked"? First it would assume what he has said is "bunk" and that is definitely not my impression of his work and secondly, could you please provide a specific source link. Lott thoroughly answers Malkin's critiques in the link referenced so I assume you're referring to something else.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    All of the complaints and so-called "proven bias" of Lott that I have seen've been debunked by facts (not hyperbole, which is all that I've seen from Lott's detractors).
    Lott's a terrible speaker (I've seen him twice and he outta come with an FDA warning label about not operating machinery during or immediately afterwards), but a brilliant source for credible and well- and reliably-sourced factual evidence.

X2.

He is, IMO, on of the most rigorous analysts of gun crime. I have read a couple of his "debunkers" and have read his rebuttals to them and I remain confident in the integrity of his works.

And thanks to OP; I've just ordered this book.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Yes he is thin skined..

Originally he was in support of gun control..then he followed the data. Then he got f.ked over..

He is,frequently at the GRPC conference and I will likely buy his book there..

Incidentally his assistant is drop dead gorgeous...she's worth the trip all by herself...

Like many who stop drinking the koolaid long enough to let reality set in.

Lott is an economist and statistician by degree, and never even considered 'communications' or 'public relations' as a minor. By design, his field is dry and unexciting, except maybe to him and his associates, which is probably why he has such a good looking assitant. ;)

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    These Gun Owners Are Least Likely Criminals, Report Finds

Concealed-carry permit holders are nearly the most law-abiding demographic of Americans, a new report by the Crime Prevention Research Center says—comparing the permit holders foremost with police.

“Indeed, it is impossible to think of any other group in the U.S. that is anywhere near as law-abiding,” says the report, titled “Concealed Carry Permit Holders Across the United States 2016.”

Crime Prevention Research Center President John Lott, a noted economist, said the finding is not surprising considering the rigorous process it takes to get a concealed-carry permit.

Attachments

• well_duh.jpg
      well_duh.jpg
      12.5 KB · Views: 101

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Concealed-carry permit holders are nearly the most law-abiding demographic of Americans, a new report by the Crime Prevention Research Center says—comparing the permit holders foremost with police.
    “Indeed, it is impossible to think of any other group in the U.S. that is anywhere near as law-abiding,” says the report, titled “Concealed Carry Permit Holders Across the United States 2016.”

Well, duh!...is right.:thumbsup:
    So (to the unaware), let's forego the "Only LE should have guns!" nonsense.

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    (Edit: I couldn't copy SAF's Amazon Smile link, but be sure to use it to have Amazon make a contribution to SAF at no cost to you!)

I always use Amazon Smile set for SAF donation and pay with my NRA Visa, so I get twice the 2A bang for my buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom