• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    I've got 5.56 covered. I'd like to get a semi-auto, mag fed rifle in a heavier caliber. .308 I suppose? But I'm totally open to other suggestions.

Primary uses will be entering the "Heavy" division in multigun competitions. I don't need or want fancy race gear. I don't compete to win, just to have fun. Only other "heavy" rifle I have access to is the family Garand, but I don't want to drag that through the woods.

I'm hoping to keep the rifle around $800-$1k. Another $600-$750 on the optic, and up to $250 on accessories, mags, or any performance upgrades necessary. Total of up to $2k.

FAL?
    AR-10?
    PTR?
    Something else?
    Bonus points if its cash and carry in MD with no registration needed.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    FAL is out (both metric and inch? pattern), PTR may be out due to HK91 look a like. That leaves the 308 ARs, Keltec 308 bullpup (don't know if it meets the 29" OAL), SCAR 17, and likely a few others I can't recall at this time. The base price you listed for the rifle will likely not get you into one of these. The going rate is in the $1300 - $2000 range for a decent rifle if you're lucky. The SCAR is approaching 3k+. If you combine your rifle and optic amount, you could get a decent rifle and save a little more for a bargain optic ($350 - $400).

This is just my observations, and if you can find some bargains, more power to you.

Q

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    If you're a MD resident, you're basically left with AR10s, the Keltec RFB, Scar 17, FNAR, and the Polytech M14S. The FAL and HK91 clones are banned by name (and all copies thereof).

The cheapest of the remaining options is the FNAR and the Polytech M14S.

Also, all non-banned long guns in MD are cash and carry.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    AR10/SR25 Pattern Rifle or Carbine is the only answer based on MD Laws and your budget.

The SCAR is a nice gun and rarely needs parts, but when it does, parts are HARD to get.

The FNAR is a very accurate gun but a bitch to tear down and maintain. The Polytech and Keltec are turds IMO.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I will throw a Century C308 in the mix. Don't know much about em, but for $700....mags will also be cheap and easy to find.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Clandestine,

Can he build one for around 1K? I saw the kits on Blackthorne (without a lower), but the reviews say to run the other way.

Q

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Clandestine,

Can he build one for around 1K? I saw the kits on Blackthorne (without a lower), but the reviews say to run the other way.

Q

Its hard to build one on a budget but its doeable. Best bet is wait for 4th of july, veterans day, or memorial day sales to make buys.

I would not trust blackthorne parts in my gun.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Bonus points if its cash and carry in MD with no registration needed.

"no registration needed" = 77r i.e. regulated?

Rifles in MD only come in two flavors since 2013: Banned, and cash and carry. There is no 77r for rifles anymore. Anything you buy will be "no registration" i.e. no 77r. Cash and carry! (4473 naturally)

For the uninitiated, what are the actual requirements for the Heavy division in multigun competition? Caliber? weight? etc. what about 7.62x39? 300 blk?

Is there some sort of accuracy you are looking for? 1MOA 2MOA 3MOA?

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    Sounds like AR10 is the way to go. I'm not in a critical rush to build it so will have the opportunity to do so as the best deals are found.

Only requirements for Heavy Division are that the rifle must be chambered for any .30cal (or larger) round. .300BO works, but it's so close to 5.56 ballistics and range, that I don't have a real reason to buy it. Might as well step up to a proper 30 cal.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sounds like AR10 is the way to go. I'm not in a critical rush to build it so will have the opportunity to do so as the best deals are found.

Only requirements for Heavy Division are that the rifle must be chambered for any .30cal (or larger) round. .300BO works, but it's so close to 5.56 ballistics and range, that I don't have a real reason to buy it. Might as well step up to a proper 30 cal.

It is roughly 5.56 for energy, but the ballistics are radically different than 5.56. Extremely rainbow shaped trajectory and the lighter rounds also delivery much less energy at moderate to long ranges compared to heavy 5.56. It is generally a better medium game round at short ranges than 5.56.

Based on what you said, I'd lean towards something like a DPMS pattern AR-10. I've been enjoying the hell out of building my AR-15. Building an AR-10 is possibly going to be one of my next projects.

That also said, maybe it is boyhood nostalgia, but I love the old battle rifles so I'd lean towards something the C308

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom