• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Is this even a good idea? I like lights for Home Defense (HD) guns, just don't know if this is a good one:

Recover Tactical Grip & Rails Systems

Anyone have or recommend this?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    recover-tactical-grip-rail-system-for-1911

https://www.botach.com/recover-tact...ink&utm_campaign=BotachRecoverSystems-12/5/16

python

Apr 15, 2010
    When you mount a light on that rail and turn it on, you make yourself an easy target, usually before you find yours.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    That is an interesting idea, and cheaper than I would have expected. My first concern is that it would make the gun no longer "feel right" as a 1911. :shrug:

At $35, you could try it, not like it, and not feel like the world has ended.

Personally, I think needing a rail on a 1911 is a good enough reason to buy another 1911...:D

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    perfect excuse to get a glock, they all come with rails.

i absolutely love 1911's and 2011's but haven't seen many that are truly 100%, but i haven't seen many glocks that aren't 100%. glock reliability and the extra mag capacity over single stacks make them great in my opinion for sd/hd.

that said, that conversion thingie seems like a neat idea, at least in concept.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    There's also the Surefire MR07. They also make pressure switches for the X300.
    The Recover tactical stuff is good for lights but I'd be concerned about heat, polymer and lasers.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    wow....let's see.... We've ventured into glocks vs 1911's, lights are safe vs lights make you a target, all you need is 9mm vs 45 and open carry good or bad and we have all the classic debates in one thread. And we did it under under 2 weeks with less then 3% of the posts made....

Seriously though, the thing in the botech link bothers the heck out of me. Your changing the grip and frame widths of the pistol on top of covering the whole thing with an extra layer to have problems. Yo'd have to learn to shoot it like it was a whole new pistol.

Best Choice is to get a 1911 with a rail

next best Learn to use a weakhand light

Third choice......try one of these: Novak bolt on rail

You could make that an essentially permanent mod by silver soldering etc. That's a lot of work though.

I love 45, I love 1911's. I got a SIG 220SAO dark elite for my lighted gun, added a threaded barrel. Shoots just like my 1911's. I still prefer to shoot my 1911's most of the time though.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    drmsparks' post is a good one. A good industrial adhesive as bedding compound works. Extra weight on the dust cover creates an issue for some. I woild stay away from the clam shell.

Best suggestion yet is to buy a railed 1911. Plenty of good ones run right out of the box.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    wow....let's see.... We've ventured into glocks vs 1911's, lights are safe vs lights make you a target, all you need is 9mm vs 45 and open carry good or bad and we have all the classic debates in one thread. And we did it under under 2 weeks with less then 3% of the posts made....

Seriously though, the thing in the botech link bothers the heck out of me. Your changing the grip and frame widths of the pistol on top of covering the whole thing with an extra layer to have problems. Yo'd have to learn to shoot it like it was a whole new pistol.

You could make that an essentially permanent mod by silver soldering etc. That's a lot of work though.

I love 45, I love 1911's. I got a SIG 220SAO dark elite for my lighted gun, added a threaded barrel. Shoots just like my 1911's. I still prefer to shoot my 1911's most of the time though.
    You forgot to ask whick lube is best!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well since Drmsparks puts it that way :

If I get to choose the ammo, performance will be close enough for no strong preference. If third party controls ammo choice,.45acp is better.

Concealed is * Better * . But 2016's extended experements shows OC is usually viable.

I'm happy with my non-railed pistols, and comfortable enough with my handheld light techniques , using the lights already in my pickets .

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Shhhhhhh to some people knowledge is scary.

And to some people, experience only comes from videos and Internet forum threads which is even scarier. Pay attention to his search technique vs engagement.

When improperly used, flashlights are like tracers. They can illuminate both ends of the gun-target line.

As for adding this rail, forget it and get a rail gun in a 1911 or whatever you want. Good excuse for adding a new pistol to your brace.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouff”
    Mike Tyson

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes

You forgot Weaver vs Picatinny Rails but otherwise mostly spot on. I would just move weak hand flashlight to the #1 priority.

:thumbsup:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    That's not a mod I'd ever make to a non railed 1911.

I don't care how cheap. I don't care how inexpensive.

Concur with the posters who've said, buy one with a rail if that's what you feel you need. There's a metric shitload of guns available today with rails that includes sone damn fine 1911s.

I note with glee those who have trained with and used lights while shooting. Their opinions frankly mean much more to me than the folks who are merely opining. No substitute for experience save more and more recent experience. None.

Lights on weapons are a personal choice. IMO, that choice should be made after training with and without as well as simply using a light in your weak hand. Then and only then are you ready to decide and buy. I say that UNLESS your goal is to spend money on more gun related shit. (At some point, you've potentially got lots and lots of shit and probably little if any training on properly and effectively employing said shit.)

I offer for your consideration, my recommendation for you to go get some "in person" training with the weapon and configuration you think you might want/need. Move it around. Operate in the same environment you anticipate needing/wanting it for. Then decide and invest. You'll be much happier...unless your goal is to simply keep cranking out wads of cash on neat shit.

FTR, my early training was an issued 1911 and B light (B is for Bianchi and that b1tch made a helluva club with its 3 D cells. It BTW was for less than lethal requirements and was then being adapted for weak hand use with the service weapon.). Imagine my delight when I got my first Surefire E2D. Beat hell out of the old B light. Then I got my first railed gun and WML. Yee haw. To this day, I use what's at hand or most appropriate in the conditions if I have a choice. I'd prefer no light if ambient conditions warrant it.

Spend your money on muscle memory/training instead of more "cool shit". Otherwise, you'll end up with a pile of cool shit and little or no familiarity with the TTP required to employ it effectively. Training is money. Muscle memory will keep you alive. That pile of stuff will not... remember, the weapon alone (no matter how it's configured) is not lethal or capable. It requires an operator possessed of the knowledge, skills, will and ability to make it a system.

YMMV

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom