What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    That's a big part of why I reload, although when I finally got involved in shooting on my own, the idea that I was going to tool up to reload was a foregone conclusion because that's how Dad always did it.

I'm not quite as far down the rabbit hole as he was though - he was also a bullet caster. I'd do that too except that it's too big of a challenge to find a cheap source of lead here in Central Maryland, although to be fair, I haven't tried terribly hard yet.

The shotgun thing has been fun though - at this point, since I bought the press in January, I've run roughly 2,500 shells through that press, simply as a means to keep myself in range fodder for the trap field.

What does it cost you per round to reload shotgun. Is it all 12 gauge or some other like 20?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    What does it cost you per round to reload shotgun. Is it all 12 gauge or some other like 20?
    It's 12 ga - I did a whole workup of that in another thread, but it equates to about 24-25 cents per round, or roughly $6.18 a box. Not tremendous savings, but it is a bit of savings - the cheapest flat I could find at Bass Pro the other day (yes - I realize that Bass Pro doesn't have the best prices, but they are convenient) was $94/flat, or $9.40/box.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Cleaned it.

I recently got this little thing to vacuum up all the spilled powder. Worked like a champ. Makes a racket when there is powder in it but very quiet after being emptied.

71aWsxNJjUL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_~2.jpg

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I was tired of cranking, so I made a fitting that fits on my case trimmer. I hooked up my drill and use a VARIAC transformer to adjust speed.
    trimmer1.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I was tired of cranking, so I made a fitting that fits on my case trimmer. I hooked up my drill and use a VARIAC transformer to adjust speed.
    View attachment 461504
    Neat. Not to knock it, but there are maybe better solutions out there. This is what I went with. Then again, I was gifted my manual lyman case trimmer, so upgrading didn't feel is as much sunk cost.

That Lyman xpress works fantastic for me. Very even cuts, very consistent, and usually require little clean up of the cut. I can process about 500 cases an hour on it. Though your thumb does get sore after awhile. Gloves help with that.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Neat. Not to knock it, but there are maybe better solutions out there. This is what I went with. Then again, I was gifted my manual lyman case trimmer, so upgrading didn't feel is as much sunk cost.

That Lyman xpress works fantastic for me. Very even cuts, very consistent, and usually require little clean up of the cut. I can process about 500 cases an hour on it. Though your thumb does get sore after awhile. Gloves help with that.
    Yes, Lyman is a good item however, I did not pay for the transformer it was given to me, the drill I had and the connector cost me $1.50 to make. I think the Lyman can be quicker but does not have the micro adjustment the Hornady has and there is no sore thumbs. Rather spend the 182 bucks for the Lyman I would go this route.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes, Lyman is a good item however, I did not pay for the transformer it was given to me, the drill I had and the connector cost me $1.50 to make. I think the Lyman can be quicker but does not have the micro adjustment the Hornady has and there is no sore thumbs. Rather spend the 182 bucks for the Lyman I would go this route.

The Lyman can be adjusted in .001" increments. I've tested it, and it is very accurate between clicks. I guess if you need sub .001" adjustability or accuracy well under .001" it won't do the job.

For giggles, I checked 50 .223 and 50 .308 cases, mixed head stamp. Sized, ran through and all were no more than .001" off from each other. I think I found less than 5 of each that were about .001" long, and I stuck them in and ran the trimmer again and it shaved off just a wee hair and got them right on spec. Likely me not doing a good job of rotating the case and inserting back in the trimer (you should do that 2 or 3 times per case to get better concentricity on the trim).

Not saying there are not more accurate trimmers out there, but you'll be seeing how many angels can balance on the head of a pin if you are.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    The Lyman can be adjusted in .001" increments. I've tested it, and it is very accurate between clicks. I guess if you need sub .001" adjustability or accuracy well under .001" it won't do the job.

For giggles, I checked 50 .223 and 50 .308 cases, mixed head stamp. Sized, ran through and all were no more than .001" off from each other. I think I found less than 5 of each that were about .001" long, and I stuck them in and ran the trimmer again and it shaved off just a wee hair and got them right on spec. Likely me not doing a good job of rotating the case and inserting back in the trimer (you should do that 2 or 3 times per case to get better concentricity on the trim).

Not saying there are not more accurate trimmers out there, but you'll be seeing how many angels can balance on the head of a pin if you are.
    Thanks, great to know. :thumbsup:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks, great to know. :thumbsup:
    To add, I know I said it. Gloves. You are going to have to press the cases in with the base of your thumb and after a few hundred it’ll start to wear your skin in to the pattern of the primer pocket.

Light gloves stops that. I just use some cheap $3 thin rubber utility gloves. Press, rotate, press, rotate, press, next case.

But if hurrying I can knock out 12 cases a minute. An easy pace is 10 a minute. But at least my thumbs, even with gloves, need a 5 minute break every 15 minutes. So it works out to more like 400 an hour.

Headphones or ear buds while you work because it is loud. And you’ll need to pay attention, so no reading closed captions on a show

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I loaded 50 ######## using the ####### bullets I grabbed from member ###### here on MDS. Have them loaded into mags in the safe for ########.

Man this FOIA reporting is getting outta hand :tinfoil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom