Which is better Rem Tac-14 or Moss Shockwave?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which do you like better, more likely to buy?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    A bit off-topic, but will adding the raptor grip to a Pardner Pump cause any NFA type problems?

It should still be > 26" (it's 37.625" now) so I doubt it but since it has a stock now, I just wanted to be sure (BGOS!).

Also, would cutting the barrel down any run afoul of the law.

Damn that HQL (or damn me).

Without knowing for sure, I'd say DO NOT do it. You're making a handgun from a shotgun, and cutting the regular bbl to 14" and installing it on your new "handgun would probably add quite a bit of prison "icing" on your cake.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    A bit off-topic, but will adding the raptor grip to a Pardner Pump cause any NFA type problems?

It should still be > 26" (it's 37.625" now) so I doubt it but since it has a stock now, I just wanted to be sure (BGOS!).

Also, would cutting the barrel down any run afoul of the law.

Damn that HQL (or damn me).

The 14 inch barrel shotgun is NOT LEGAL to "manufacture" on your own unless it starts life ONLY as a pistol grip shotgun. The firearm involved cannot be the package deal where you get a shoulder stock shotgun that includes a pistol grip as an accessory. That is still a long gun and cutting that down to 14 inches will put you in violation of the NFA and could put you in prison for 10 years.

There are very SPECIFIC rules to follow if you decide to take a firearm that was sold as a pistol grip (or a shotgun receiver purchased as an "other" firearm) and then add the Shockwave Bird Head grip to get the proper length with a 14 inch barrel.

But any 14 inch barrel firearm with the Shockwave grip that you "manufacture" can NEVER be offered for sale EVER. Federal law.

So, word to the wise: buy the Mossy or Remington 14 inch firearms because you then retain the legal right to sell it or transfer it later and you know are on the right side of the law there.

IMPORTANT: Once you possess the Shockwave or other Bird Head grip model 14 inch barrel firearm--you must follow HANDGUN transport rules and you can NEVER swap out the Bird Head grip for a pistol grip because you will have violated Federal law if you do so.

If you want to own one, don't take my word for it, do your research!

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    If any central Maryland peeps want a Shockwave, South Carroll Sporting Goods just posted that they have one in stock!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    cool-gif-infintive-Favim.com-230716.gif

Mikey

May 19, 2009
    Ridge MD
    If you were to buy one of these shotguns in a free state and bring it to MD, would you then have to register it as a pistol?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    The tac 14 is $329 shipped after rebate at Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore. If you trust Remington to actually give you the rebate

Attachments

• IMG_8933.jpg
      IMG_8933.jpg
      37.4 KB · Views: 1,006

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Just FYI if anyone is interested, I sent my barrel to AimPro to get a shroud installed.

A standard Mossberg barrel shroud is too long. I looked into an aftermarket "universal" shroud that had the aft clip more toward the middle. My thinking was to cut the length down by removing material from the breach end. The problem was the front mount. The front bolts together under the barrel, ideally behind the front barrel lug. There is no room for this due to the forend (when moved forward) does not leave room for this.

In my option, AimPro does it the best, cleanest way. They cut one of their shrouds and (braze?) the rear clip back on. Then they drill and tap the forward barrel lugs to attach the front with screws. They do not advertise this service on their web site. I called and talked to them.

Cost was $169 plus return shipping.

By the way. My vote is for Mossberg. Newer design, dual ejector claws, maintenance can be done by owner.

At lot of folks like the steal receiver on the 870. That is fine. I get it. The way the bolt locks into the barrel on the Mossberg, a steal receiver is not required.

Attachments

• Resized_20170726_204503.jpg
      Resized_20170726_204503.jpg
      75 KB · Views: 1,041
    Last edited:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Without trying to sound ignorant what is the point of the shroud? I'm guessing if you are firing a lot it's going to get pretty hot.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    That looks pretty sweet but that's a lot of cash to shell out for a shroud

I have to admit, I kind of got caught up in the chase. I am not unhappy with how it turned out. It is a lot of money to spend on just the shroud. I guess it's because it was custom made to fit.

Without trying to sound ignorant what is the point of the shroud? I'm guessing if you are firing a lot it's going to get pretty hot.

The shroud has inverted dimples to hold it away from the barrel but it would probably get hot anyway. Honestly, I got it because I thought it would look good. Not really any other practical reason.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I have to admit, I kind of got caught up in the chase. I am not unhappy with how it turned out. It is a lot of money to spend on just the shroud. I guess it's because it was custom made to fit.

The shroud has inverted dimples to hold it away from the barrel but it would probably get hot anyway. Honestly, I got it because I thought it would look good. Not really any other practical reason.

I had the same experience/feeling about another shotgun many years ago.

Taking it off scratched it up even more.

Pass. All I can say.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    How about this 9 shot Mossberg?
    http://www.jlowesguns.com/MOSSBERG-590-TACTICAL-12-GAUGE-50778_p_470.html

Or this 870?
    http://www.jlowesguns.com/Remington-870-Express-81197_p_533.html

Other than looks, I don't see the utility in these pistol shotguns. I think one of the above would be better.

If I am forced kicking and screaming to choose one of the pistol shotguns, I would give a slight nod to the Remmy (since i have never owned a Mossberg). But since this is a pistol, all rules transporting pistols apply, right?

[EDIT] question answered:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4679043&postcount=19

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I bought one because I wanted one.

There is no way I would use it for self defense, or really even take it out in public. If I ever ended up in court with a 14.5 inch barreled shotgun, I don't care how legal it is on paper, any laywer would have a field day!

No good use in my book. It's just for my personal satisfaction of owning it.

I kind of see it more like thumbing my nose at anti-gun nuts.

P.S. this is not the ONLY shotgun that I own.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I bought one because I wanted one.

There is no way I would use it for self defense, or really even take it out in public. If I ever ended up in court with a 14.5 inch barreled shotgun, I don't care how legal it is on paper, any laywer would have a field day!

No good use in my book. It's just for my personal satisfaction of owning it.

I kind of see it more like thumbing my nose at anti-gun nuts.

P.S. this is not the ONLY shotgun that I own.

Bolded = BGOS.

Agree with the rest :thumbsup: .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom