Smallest Maryland (non resident) legal trunk AR based gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Debating what to do with one of my stripped lowers. I'm really digging the folding stock, removable barrel 9mm ARs

https://americanresistancegear.com/breakdown-ar-in-9mm/

If the barrel used is HBAR and 16 inches long. Would that make it ok for trunk storage when in Maryland? Or is a folding AR stock a no go?

Assuming if it's made into an AR pistol Maryland wouldn't take kindly to it being in the state outside of driving straight to the range. Just like any other pistol.

Anyone have any cool AR trunk guns? If so please post them up or share some details of the build.

Stephen M

Jan 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Folding stock is OK as long as it doesn't have a second forbidden feature (flash hider or grenade launcher).

The KelTec SU-16 rifles seem interesting and are fairly compact when folded. I have no personal experience with them though, and reviews seem mixed, so maybe not the best option.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    I want to build something so that's kinda te direction I'm leaning.

So folding stock OK no need for HBAR as long as 9mm. If 9mm and not a center fired bullet. Does 16 inche minimum still hold true?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I’d go with 5.56. If the poop goes down and you actually need your truck gun you’ll wish you had the 5.56 freedom seeds.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    Debating what to do with one of my stripped lowers. I'm really digging the folding stock, removable barrel 9mm ARs

If the barrel used is HBAR and 16 inches long. Would that make it ok for trunk storage when in Maryland? Or is a folding AR stock a no go?

Assuming if it's made into an AR pistol Maryland wouldn't take kindly to it being in the state outside of driving straight to the range. Just like any other pistol.

Anyone have any cool AR trunk guns? If so please post them up or share some details of the build.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yVM5EMF8AFo

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I want to build something so that's kinda te direction I'm leaning.

So folding stock OK no need for HBAR as long as 9mm. If 9mm and not a center fired bullet. Does 16 inche minimum still hold true?

Yes, otherwise it is a short barreled rifle, which in Maryland, all transport and carry laws that apply to handguns apply to SBRs from what I know. If it is 16" barrel and a stock, it is a rifle and thus could be carried (UNLOADED!) in your vehicle. One word of caution, there are some parts of Maryland where the long gun must be cased and in your trunk, not simply unloaded. Also you can't go certain places, like school property and stuff with one in your vehicle.

HBAR/heavy barrel requirements only apply to AR-15s that are chambered in .223, 5.56 or .223 wylde. 9mm, .300 BO, .45, 6.5 Grendel, whatever are fine with any barrel profile.

16" minimum is federal law (Maryland just mirrors it), and not a transport issue. Shorter than 16" and if it has a stock it is an SBR and you darned well better have an ATF tax stamp for it. If it is less than 26" overall length and has no stock, it is a handgun (barrel length does not matter on a handgun, you can have a 20" barrel, if it is constructed originally with no stock, it is a handgun. You cannot legally take a rifle and make it in to a handgun. You can legally take a handgun and turn it in to a rifle, which is shoulder stock and >16" barrel, or an SBR (requiring a tax stamp) that has a stock and any barrel length <16").

over 26" and no stock and it is in the odd zone of a "firearm". That is not a rifle and not a handgun. Basically that means you can have a vertical forward grip on it (shorter and there are special rules like an SBR where it is an AOW, Any other weapon, where you have to pay the tax stamp and register it).

Two things to note on the SBR thing, in Maryland ALL rifles must be at least 29" OAL, including SBRs. Federal it is 27" minimum (26?) for SBRs. Nothing shorter than that is allowed to have a shoulder stock by MD/Federal law.

I'd consider what you want a truck gun for. If it is just a handy on the go self defense gun, then a 9mm stocked AR is probably fine. However, there are plenty of cheaper options that break down small, like the Aero Precision rifle or the Sub 2000 from Keltec. Usually truck guns are cheap guns (both of those are quality though).

If you think you want to reach out, then a pistol caliber carbine is not the way to go. 9mm isn't too bad with a rifle length barrel, but it is still a 150yd rifle, maybe 200 or 250 if you are spraying and praying. The rounds just ain't going that fast and fat, so they drop fast.

If you want something that can reach out, or you live somewhere where you've got some decent property and you might be reaching for your truck gun for varmits, two legged predators, whatever, then I'd go with an actual rifle caliber carbine as a truck gun. Or at a minimum, one of the faster pistol calibers, like a .40 or a 10mm.

But frankly one of the cheap as hell AR-15's you are seeing floating around would be great two. Hard to argue with $400 AR-15 in 5.56 with a heavy barrel that is going to shorten the stock to under 36" to tuck in the trunk with a few 30 round mags of M193 to make your point.

I want a PCC. I've shot one once and it was a hoot. Heck, it could be a good bump in the night gun. But pistol calibers are a bad option if you have the choice of a rifle caliber. Like the difference of a knife versus a sword. A knife has it's place, but if you are talking as a weapon, would you really choose a knife if a sword was an option?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    EXCEPT -

The 29in OAL does not apply to ALL rifles . Only for Centerfire Semiautomatic, same for folding stocks .
    So Rimfires are 26in . Centerfire lever action , bolt action , pump, single , and even Full Auto likewise.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    EXCEPT -

The 29in OAL does not apply to ALL rifles . Only for Centerfire Semiautomatic, same for folding stocks .
    So Rimfires are 26in . Centerfire lever action , bolt action , pump, single , and even Full Auto likewise.

Good correction, thanks. I always thinking about semi-center fires with the stupid laws.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I've been trying to develop something along these lines with the help of clandestine, Started with a daniel defense upper on an 80% lower with an echoII trigger in a pistol configeration with a 10 inch barrel in 556 with a sig brace and a law folding unit. We are now putting together a 9mm short barrel upper to switch out. Both will have cans.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    I already have an AR. I'm looking to build a toy that could double as a SHTF car gun. It would be cased and in the trunk when traveling to Maryland. Sadly handguns are no go. :(

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've had an AR15 with a Colt A1 upper with their pencil barrel. It's my ultra light rifle. This would make a great trunk gun, but I use it to teach smaller people how to shoot an AR15 style rifle.

I think it weighs just over 5lbs.

Jan 25, 2017

Have you considered making an AR pistol in .223/5.56?

Yes, otherwise it is a short barreled rifle, which in Maryland, all transport and carry laws that apply to handguns apply to SBRs from what I know. If it is 16" barrel and a stock, it is a rifle and thus could be carried (UNLOADED!) in your vehicle. One word of caution, there are some parts of Maryland where the long gun must be cased and in your trunk, not simply unloaded. Also you can't go certain places, like school property and stuff with one in your vehicle.

HBAR/heavy barrel requirements only apply to AR-15s that are chambered in .223, 5.56 or .223 wylde. 9mm, .300 BO, .45, 6.5 Grendel, whatever are fine with any barrel profile.

16" minimum is federal law (Maryland just mirrors it), and not a transport issue. Shorter than 16" and if it has a stock it is an SBR and you darned well better have an ATF tax stamp for it. If it is less than 26" overall length and has no stock, it is a handgun (barrel length does not matter on a handgun, you can have a 20" barrel, if it is constructed originally with no stock, it is a handgun. You cannot legally take a rifle and make it in to a handgun. You can legally take a handgun and turn it in to a rifle, which is shoulder stock and >16" barrel, or an SBR (requiring a tax stamp) that has a stock and any barrel length <16").

over 26" and no stock and it is in the odd zone of a "firearm". That is not a rifle and not a handgun. Basically that means you can have a vertical forward grip on it (shorter and there are special rules like an SBR where it is an AOW, Any other weapon, where you have to pay the tax stamp and register it).

Two things to note on the SBR thing, in Maryland ALL rifles must be at least 29" OAL, including SBRs. Federal it is 27" minimum (26?) for SBRs. Nothing shorter than that is allowed to have a shoulder stock by MD/Federal law.

This information is great.

I believe the federal minimum is 26 inches overall measured in the longest configuration for the rifle (i.e. stock completely extended/unfolded).

The only other thing I would add is to consider a safe to lock up your truck gun if you're going to park it somewhere with the firearm in the car for an extended period of time (e.g. going grocery shopping >30 minutes). It doesn't have to be a Fort Knox or anything but something enough to deter the majority of thiefs.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Even though the OP lives in Va , he did specify suitable for general trunk/ truck carry in Md , so that moves us away from AR pistols.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    How about something like a Handi-rifle? Cheap, reliable, compact, and comes in just about every caliber you could imagine. I have one set up for suppressed 300 BO that's a very small takedown package and the 225gr rounds sound like a pellet gun.

blackoutwscope_zps2acd945e.jpg

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    9mm with a folding stock and the availability of 32 round magazines I like the CZ Scorpion :)

Attachments

• 15z_CZScorpionEVO3S1Carbine_R_08505_08506.jpg
      15z_CZScorpionEVO3S1Carbine_R_08505_08506.jpg
      15.8 KB · Views: 673
    How about something like a Handi-rifle? Cheap, reliable, compact, and comes in just about every caliber you could imagine. I have one set up for suppressed 300 BO that's a very small takedown package and the 225gr rounds sound like a pellet gun.

blackoutwscope_zps2acd945e.jpg

Which specific model is that? Gotta admit I've never seen these before. I checked the site and didn't see one in 300BLK

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom