• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    Some places do some don't. I honestly don't know which is correct. I knew they used to just wondering if they still did.

It's legally correct. In fact, you're required to pay Maryland's use tax for pretty much any out-of-state online purchase.

See here: http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Individual_Taxes/Individual_Tax_Types/Sales_and_Use_Tax/

It's virtually unenforcable, which is why pretty much nobody knows about it or pays it.

-Rob

RonInMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 22, 2010
    I was told sometime ago that Gil left soon after his divorce, he needed to get a job that offered health insurance.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Or pocketing the money.

Yeah. Because that 6% on the 100's of transfers I'm sure they do each year really add up :sad20:

I am stopping by there today. I'll ask Jimmy about how many transfers they do each month. I bet it isn't even 2.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Yeah. Because that 6% on the 100's of transfers I'm sure they do each year really add up :sad20:

I am stopping by there today. I'll ask Jimmy about how many transfers they do each month. I bet it isn't even 2.

You're probably right. But the one and only transfer we did with them tax worked out to a couple hundred dollars.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    Yes I spoke too soon about these clowns. I found a good deal on a rather collectable rifle and they gonged me for the sales tax this time. So it was $80 for a long gun transfer, but they were kind enough to give me a receipt for "0".

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yes I spoke too soon about these clowns. I found a good deal on a rather collectable rifle and they gonged me for the sales tax this time. So it was $80 for a long gun transfer, but they were kind enough to give me a receipt for "0".

The state actually audited them because they had not been charging tax. Jimmy said they do a lot of transfers( I forgot how many he says they average) and the state wanted their cut.

Selective enforcement, maybe.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    The state actually audited them because they had not been charging tax. Jimmy said they do a lot of transfers( I forgot how many he says they average) and the state wanted their cut.

Selective enforcement, maybe.

Are they charging sales tax on the transfer service or on the actual purchase from a private seller? Or did the shop order the long gun for you and that is why they charged the sales tax? I have never seen anyone charge any tax related to the purchase from another seller even retailer for a transfer.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Are they charging sales tax on the transfer service or on the actual purchase from a private seller? Or did the shop order the long gun for you and that is why they charged the sales tax? I have never seen anyone charge any tax related to the purchase from another seller even retailer for a transfer.
    They charge sales tax on the price I believe. Jimmy said the state wanted sales tax. So..... I've never done a transfer. I just asked him last week about this.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county

They charge Tax on what ever the purchase price was. So if you bought the gun for 500 off GB, and have transferred in, they will charge you tax on that 500.00, I have watched it happen many times there.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Our retail sales tax is a Sales & Use Tax. You bought it but transfered in to Maryland for use. Hence many of the dealers are charging and some are not. Chris

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    The problem is that they are charging a transfer fee, which they are entitled too, and then charging 6% tax on the value of the gun but give you a receipt for $O. So they are not claiming the fee or the tax as income. If the state was on them about sales tax you can bet that they would show that on the receipt. It's just pure pawn broker BS.

Toxicjin

Feb 8, 2018
    Forest Hill, Md.
    They charge Tax on what ever the purchase price was. So if you bought the gun for 500 off GB, and have transferred in, they will charge you tax on that 500.00, I have watched it happen many times there.

I've only bought one gun and it was bought on GB. Had the transfer done here dio I thought it was normal practice to charge sales tax for it. It's not??

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I've only bought one gun and it was bought on GB. Had the transfer done here dio I thought it was normal practice to charge sales tax for it. It's not??

There, Yes.
    Other places , No.
    I heard the same story mentioned earlier, they got in some kinda trouble for not collecting tax on a transfer of some sort. so since then, they do. Period on anything transferred in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom