• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911 magazines

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    I use nothing but factory magazines or Wilson Combat ETMs. I do not buy more factory magazines unless I have to.

I used to use mixed magazines before I learned they can cause problems in 1911 pistols. Troubleshooting a stack of mags from different manufacturers is far more difficult, time consuming and expensive (in mags, ammo and range fees) than testing WC ETM mags. I like to remove variables, not add them.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The only mags I've never had an issue with are genuine Colt, McCormick Shooting Star or Wilson Combat. Any other brand...marked or unmarked...has been hit or miss so I stick with tried and true.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The mag I feel depends on the gun and the ammo. To some extent the shooter also.

My buddy has a Taurus and had to go to Wilson combat right away

I have a WWII 1911a1 and so long as I use WWBox I am fine. With a kimber mag I can use my reloads. My dad’s ruger is GTG
    I also have an ATI and is fine unless I use light bullet reloads that is loaded light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    The only mags I use in my 1911s are the government issue ones with the NSN stamped on the butt plate. Never have had any problems with them.

foesad

May 21, 2015
    1911 mags

I have a Kimber CDP and most of my mags are McCormick Shooting Star no feed issues with any of them

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I have a 8rd magazines in Chip McCormick Shooting Star and Metalform, and no problems with either. I have 7rd stainless steel GI-clone Wilson magazines, and they have been flawless.

With the cheapie $6 7rd magazines I have had one floorplate give way, and the feed lips on the other two weakened. The cheapie mags served me well for a time, but I upgraded to the other magazines when they started falling apart.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    As long as they have the stepped feed lips, I have had no problems.

http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines2/read-my-lips.html

I remember seeing this several years ago and have referred to it several times since—it is an excellent resource.

The way the feedramp angles, link length, recoil spring, and magazine interact is actually horrendously complicated the further you get into it. It’s a wonder the damn thing runs at all.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Most fault I find with quality 1911 magazines in good condition is spring force being on the low side. This allows full mag top rounds nose diving. To get 8 rounds of 45 ACP in a 7 round mag body the spring must be shortened. I haven’t handled any ETM’s but in my experience this is the greatest issue with Wilson’s other mags.

I use Sig, Ruger, Wilson, Springfield, Metalform, CMC Shooting Star and Power Mag, Pachmyer, USGI, Baer, and they all run in properly set up pistols. I just change the mag springs when there are nose dives or they feel soft when depressing the follower. If shooting semiwadcutters or stubby rounds, I will use the parallel lip early release mags

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I remember seeing this several years ago and have referred to it several times since—it is an excellent resource.

The way the feedramp angles, link length, recoil spring, and magazine interact is actually horrendously complicated the further you get into it. It’s a wonder the damn thing runs at all.

But, somehow, it has been for over 100 years :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom