• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    My family loves chick-fil-a. The food is good, but the service is awesome.

Our local one is doing drive through only. I’d assume they are all DT only. And we’ve hit it a few times since this quarantine stuff hit.

The had about 25 cars and cleared us through in about 5 minutes or so. They are well organized.

Enjoy.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Does that mean the a Pizza Hut is gone or going?

Probably going. They've been hurting lately and dropping stores. Damascus carryout/delivery only went last year around the same time as the Taco Bell and BK. Germantown sit-down restaurant has been gone at least 6mo. Enough time to be torn down. Not sure what's going in it's place. Urbana Carryout/Delivery died at the beginning of the lock-down. I figure Manhattan, PJ's and Ledo all did them in. S. Frederick sit-down next to WaWa has been gone at least a year as well. Company is hurting. They haven't done anything new in a long time and the birth of better joints like Mod Pizza and other fast-casual dine-in joints have eaten into business quite a bit.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Looks like it's replacing pizza hut, from the site pics.

As proposed, that is going to be a complete and total Cluster flick traffic wise.

Left out of the parking lot, competing with right from mcd's, then about 10 yards to a stop sign and a left across two lanes to get back to I70. Traffic exiting will backup well into the drivethrough.

At lunchtime, inbound traffic will backup to Rt27 and maybe even the I70 exit ramp.

Good luck with that...
    Rob

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    Chick Fil A has phenomenal service but the food is average at best.

Just curious...for those that like Chick Fil A, what would you say is the best non fast food restaurant in area?

I don’t know if it’s the best, but Carter Que is worth checking out. https://www.carterque.com/

And I intentionally picked something in the Mount Airy area since the OP was about a Chick fil A there.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Chick Fil A has phenomenal service but the food is average at best.

Just curious...for those that like Chick Fil A, what would you say is the best non fast food restaurant in area?

Average, really? What other fast food even comes close? Super tender chicken, hand squeezed lemonade, chick-fil-a sauce...

Non fast food, the best restaurant around in my opinion and also all the people that I have taken there to convince them, is the Mango Grill off Robinwood Dr in hagerstown.

https://mangogrillhagerstown.com/

Its a small place, nothing fancy, but the best indian food I've ever had. The lunch buffet is delicious and the best way to try their food. Hands down best restaurant food of anywhere I've been.

Also Aleko's in Middletown has awesome gyros. its sort of fast food but not a chain. Get the American style gyro, its better than the Greek style.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I don’t know if it’s the best, but Carter Que is worth checking out. https://www.carterque.com/

And I intentionally picked something in the Mount Airy area since the OP was about a Chick fil A there.

CarterQue is decent but I don't think their barbecue is anything spectacular. I can do better at home. Their bbq chicken is probably their best item.

Their sauces are pretty good. Thats the one thing that stands out from them.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Average, really? What other fast food even comes close? Super tender chicken, hand squeezed lemonade, chick-fil-a sauce...

Non fast food, the best restaurant around in my opinion and also all the people that I have taken there to convince them, is the Mango Grill off Robinwood Dr in hagerstown.

https://mangogrillhagerstown.com/

Its a small place, nothing fancy, but the best indian food I've ever had. The lunch buffet is delicious. Hands down best restaurant food of anywhere I've been.

Also Aleko's in Middletown has awesome gyros. its sort of fast food but not a chain. Get the American style gyro, its better than the Greek style.

Like I said...I don't find Chick Fil A to be all that. I'll go to New Market and get some Popeyes or go to Red Rooster in Damascus. Hell, even Royal Farms has pretty good chicken. I will agree that the lemonade and milkshakes are good at Chick Fil A but again, the food is average.

I'm not going to comment on Indian food as people either love it or hate it.

As for the Gyro...I'm Greek (English is technically my second language) so anyone that says that an "American style" gyro is better than a "Greek style" gyro has no idea what they are talking about. No such thing. BTW...my sons ate at that place you mentioned and told me it was garbage.

If you want an authentic gyro then you go to Yia Yia's Kitchen off Rt 1 near Ikea north of College Park. Ask Louie for a real gyro...that's what it is.

However, I will tell you that people that have never had a real gyro are confused by it because it isn't the frozen slab of whatever they serve at most restaurants. The best gyro I have ever eaten, and I have eaten them everywhere in Greece, is a small place in Montreal called Village Grec. I couldn't stop eating them...they were perfect.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Chick-fil-A's chicken sandwiches are very good...Popeye's chicken sandwich is simply better (IMHO). We all have our own tastes and preferences...that's what makes so many choices such a great thing. And even the best places screw up now and then.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    We all have our own tastes and preferences...that's what makes so many choices such a great thing. And even the best places screw up now and then.

I agree. It is interesting to see what people consider to be good...and bad of course.

Hell...as far as I'm concerned, it's more Chick Fil A for the people that like it...and more Popeyes for me.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Like I said...I don't find Chick Fil A to be all that. I'll go to New Market and get some Popeyes or go to Red Rooster in Damascus. Hell, even Royal Farms has pretty good chicken. I will agree that the lemonade and milkshakes are good at Chick Fil A but again, the food is average.

As for the Gyro...I'm Greek (English is technically my second language) so anyone that says that an "American style" gyro is better than a "Greek style" gyro has no idea what they are talking about. No such thing. BTW...my sons ate at that place you mentioned and told me it was garbage.

If you want an authentic gyro then you go to Yia Yia's Kitchen off Rt 1 near Ikea north of College Park. Ask Louie for a real gyro...that's what it is.

However, I will tell you that people that have never had a real gyro are confused by it because it isn't the frozen slab of whatever they serve at most restaurants. The best gyro I have ever eaten, and I have eaten them everywhere in Greece, is a small place in Montreal called Village Grec. I couldn't stop eating them...they were perfect.

The greek style at alekos has fries in it and I don't like it. The american is the same but cut the fries and add feta. Maybe its not completely authentic but it is delicious.
    Also there are two locations with slightly different names that are not connected but owned by different family members of the original founder who came from Greece in the 50's. The one in hagerstown is called Alekos to go and is not anywhere near as good. Alekos Village Cafe in Middletown is way better. So which one your sons went to matters.

Popeyes is good, bone in chicken is a different thing entirely, but while I like theirs, everytime i eat it goes through me violently shortly after. Only popeyes does this to me, and nearly everytime.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md

What is your/your son's opinion of Marathon Deli in downtown College Park?

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    Popeyes spicy chicken was overhyped. Wasnt even spicy and too much breading. I could eat chik fila's waffle fried dipped in polynesian sauce all day

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    Wife and I used always drive to Eldersburg and Westminster for CF. We kept saying we should by a franchise for Mt Airy.

That's not the perfect spot. It's really going to jam the intersection at Ridgeside and S. Main.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    The greek style at alekos has fries in it and I don't like it. The american is the same but cut the fries and add feta. Maybe its not completely authentic but it is delicious.
    Also there are two locations with slightly different names that are not connected but owned by different family members of the original founder who came from Greece in the 50's. The one in hagerstown is called Alekos to go and is not anywhere near as good. Alekos Village Cafe in Middletown is way better. So which one your sons went to matters.

Popeyes is good, bone in chicken is a different thing entirely, but while I like theirs, everytime i eat it goes through me violently shortly after. Only popeyes does this to me, and nearly everytime.

It's the one in Middletown. But to be fair, Greeks are extremely critical as we have been eating home cooked meals, etc. I haven't tried it but am willing to give it a shot when I am in the area.

I think it is just how people to react to Popeyes doesn't bug anyone in our house but I have friends that it bugs. Same with McDonalds. for some reason it settles my stomach where others say it bugs them too. I guess it impacts people different ways.

If you want to make gyros at home...

Get a good, fatty pork loin and cut it into 2x2 cubes. Spice it really well with salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder. Make sure you put a light coat of oil on it and grill. Some people put them on skewers...I just put the cubes on the grill an roll them around. Make sure they aren't over cooked.

After they rest you can cut up the meat. Taste it and feel free to add additional spice to taste. Doesn't have to be pretty. I like to squeeze fresh lemon juice on the meat.

Cut up an onion (whatever you like), tomato and cucumber into smaller bite size pieces.

Good pita is tough to find but whatever you get, brush it with a light coat of olive oil and throw it on the grill for a couple of minutes...you don't want it burned but grill marks are good. Do not use pocket pita.

Costco sells 2 two things that work great for this...Tzatziki and Naan. Yes, I said Naan. It is perfect for this and it doesn't need to be prepped like most pitas. Just heat it up on a warm grill and it's delicious. Costco tzatziki is VERY good. However, if you have a picky crew that doesn't like too much garlic, plain Greek yogurt works as well.

They love it in my house.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    It's the one in Middletown. But to be fair, Greeks are extremely critical as we have been eating home cooked meals, etc. I haven't tried it but am willing to give it a shot when I am in the area.

I think it is just how people to react to Popeyes doesn't bug anyone in our house but I have friends that it bugs. Same with McDonalds. for some reason it settles my stomach where others say it bugs them too. I guess it impacts people different ways.

If you want to make gyros at home...

Get a good, fatty pork loin and cut it into 2x2 cubes. Spice it really well with salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder. Make sure you put a light coat of oil on it and grill. Some people put them on skewers...I just put the cubes on the grill an roll them around. Make sure they aren't over cooked.

After they rest you can cut up the meat. Taste it and feel free to add additional spice to taste. Doesn't have to be pretty. I like to squeeze fresh lemon juice on the meat.

Cut up an onion (whatever you like), tomato and cucumber into smaller bite size pieces.

Good pita is tough to find but whatever you get, brush it with a light coat of olive oil and throw it on the grill for a couple of minutes...you don't want it burned but grill marks are good. Do not use pocket pita.

Costco sells 2 two things that work great for this...Tzatziki and Naan. Yes, I said Naan. It is perfect for this and it doesn't need to be prepped like most pitas. Just heat it up on a warm grill and it's delicious. Costco tzatziki is VERY good. However, if you have a picky crew that doesn't like too much garlic, plain Greek yogurt works as well.

They love it in my house.

I have used the Costco naan before, its pretty good, about as good as you will get without making it yourself or getting it fresh from an indian restaurant. Any decent grilled or roasted meat wrapped in a warm one of those is going to be good. I haven't tried their tzatziki, I'll have to look for it. And the more garlic the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom