• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Gun sales are booming and a lot of new gun owners. Pandemics, riots, and talk of eliminating the police are selling more guns than Obama.

The NICS background checks statistics are interesting.

March of this year set a new all time record for the number of background checks in a single month.
    Every month this year has set a new record for that month since the inception of NICS checks in 1998.
    We are on pace to set a new yearly record of over 30 million background checks for the year.
    Since it's start NICS has preformed 348,252,506 checks the current population is 329,771,658.

Here is a link to the NICS Firearm Checks: Month/Year chart:
    https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year.pdf/view

Reminder post 149

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Gun sales are booming and a lot of new gun owners. Pandemics, riots, and talk of eliminating the police are selling more guns than Obama.

The NICS background checks statistics are interesting.

March of this year set a new all time record for the number of background checks in a single month.
    Every month this year has set a new record for that month since the inception of NICS checks in 1998.
    We are on pace to set a new yearly record of over 30 million background checks for the year.
    Since it's start NICS has preformed 348,252,506 checks the current population is 329,771,658.

Here is a link to the NICS Firearm Checks: Month/Year chart:
    https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year.pdf/view

348 million checks, and the estimate is there are 400 million guns in the country? I own dozens of pre-NICS firearms.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Not really surprising. Lots of scary random victimization going on in addition to full on anarchy in places. It's got me considering if I should pick up more ammo/mags and maybe sell something to pick up a more defensive shotgun.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Mine are in more than one location... so one day I asked a certain someone if they would mind showing me what they had that I owned... when they got to 15, I asked... " Are you sure they're all mine?... they said yeah... may I continue?:o

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    What is the breakdown? If I buy from individual at MSP isn't NICS done? That wouldn't be a new purchase. I would like to see the number of new people buying first firearm.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    My plan had been to save up some cash while waiting for the rush to die down, then try to help support my LGS in the slow times after the frenzy subsided. However...my birthday was yesterday. I don't have room for another long gun and nobody else can buy a handgun for me :tap: so I kinda had to go in myself for my birthday gun:innocent0

Wow! He had ZERO AR's, and just as many defensive shotguns in stock. He said he just can't get them. The store wasn't completely empty (there was a variety of handguns, long shotguns, a few .22's and some lever actions), but it was definitely as thinly stocked as I'd ever seen it.

While I was in the shop, a couple of pickups happened and at least two separate people came in looking for something defensive. Before leaving empty handed, of course they asked, "What do I have to do to get a handgun...how long will that take?" :rolleye12

He's normally a very cheerful and enthusiastic person, but I could tell it was wearing on him. :sad20: He did say that no one had yet been desperate enough to buy a $1300+ shotgun and $20 hacksaw...yet:innocent0

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    I've seen estimates from years ago of upwards of 800 million firearms in the country. The lower estimates we see published are really those the government knows about.

Obligatory:

Attachments

• txi7eyg5r6j31.jpg
      txi7eyg5r6j31.jpg
      51.3 KB · Views: 1,336

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I just bought my first firearms in a year yesterday, my brother just bought his first firearm in about 30 years, but he did inherit one of my dad's guns 8 years ago.
    I hope to add a few more this year.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    What is the breakdown? If I buy from individual at MSP isn't NICS done? That wouldn't be a new purchase. I would like to see the number of new people buying first firearm.

The note on the linked page points out that not every NICS check is representing a firearm sale.

I don't believe anyone keeps a record of first time buyers, however in talking with gun store personnel anecdotally they say there are a large percentage of first time buyers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom