• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Very nice ToolAA but a bottle opener orifice would have been nice;):innocent0

What do you think that big curve is for at the top.

bcf3db40bebd43986e77bf30ca5a6342.jpg

Speedfreak

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 16, 2021
    Finally got the rough grind done. Going to heat treat tomorrow and start on the handle.

a0fa51a84731a4f4fa810abc4bf9026a.jpg

Do you mind me asking how much time you have into that blade so far? Will this be a display piece or will you actually put it to use? Very cool machete!

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Do you mind me asking how much time you have into that blade so far? Will this be a display piece or will you actually put it to use? Very cool machete!

I maybe spent 3-4 hrs on the design and modeling. At work I have a water jet cutter so uploading the CAD file and pressing the button just took a few minutes from that respect. I actually cutout two at the same time.

For grinding using my 2” belt grinder I’ve probably only spent about 3 hrs shaping the blade and filing the rough edges. I could have probably done it faster but I wasn’t really in a hurry.

I am trying to decide if I can rig up a simple diy propane forge and try to heat treat it and either case harden the edge with used motor oil or superquench it. If I can do it safely I might give it a go today. Otherwise I’ll work on the handle. I’m guessing 10 hrs of work to get it totally finished.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    So I decided to try and to the heat treating today on my 3ft x 6ft back concrete pad. I made my own ad hoc forge with some fire bricks and used my propane brush burner to get it up to non-magnetic temp. Then oil quenched the blade. I’ll get all of the scale off tomorrow maybe and clean it up for tempering.

9d3203ad7905d0dd17aa2a29b853f38c.jpg

cccd4e04c167e9f25560796fc5495ad5.jpg

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I like a machete. Just used one the other day to take apart some storm-downed maple branches. With a good edge, it’s fast work. I always look at new ones, but I’m still using Vietnam-era surplus model I bought as a kid in the 70’s. I sharpen it up every once in a while, and it’s pretty ugly, but man I’ve used the hell out of that thing for decades.

A personally handmade one … I’d feel bad abusing it like I do my USGI beater!

Speedfreak

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 16, 2021
    So I decided to try and to the heat treating today on my 3ft x 6ft back concrete pad. I made my own ad hoc forge with some fire bricks and used my propane brush burner to get it up to non-magnetic temp. Then oil quenched the blade. I’ll get all of the scale off tomorrow maybe and clean it up for tempering.

Do you know what temp you got it to?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

Do you know what temp you got it to?

According to bladeforms.com steel looses it’s magnetic quality at around 1410° F. It may have been actually hotter than that as it was glowing red hot after just 3-4 min of me applying the heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom