• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I don't want to hijack, but would like to ask. Are these all for new builds, or do people wear out their bcg more often than mine seem to.

No one wants to answer this gentleman's question?

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I think we just got distracted. I suspect it is for new builds. Also a rainy day. I'm not wearing out BCG's anytime soon with the lack of ammunition these days.

Thanks. That what I think too. My own BCG would not wear out in my life time.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks. That what I think too. My own BCG would not wear out in my life time.
    I looked up the serial number from the M16 I used in basic training:

4,786,107 - number 98 in the rack - we were told to memorize it, I did, and I've never forgotten it, but I digress.

That M16A1 rifle was manufactured in 1971. I went to basic training in August-October of 1989.

Obviously I can't tell you the service history of that rifle. I can't tell you if it was ever rebuilt, used a different upper, barrel, etc. However, the fact remains that the rifle I shot over and over again, and that I cleaned (likely incorrectly) over and over again, was in it's 18th year of service on a basic training installation.

Who knows how many rounds it fired, or how many basic trainees fired it before me? With that in mind, it leads me to believe that an AR pattern rifle is probably pretty danged hard to wear out.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Nothing wrong with NiB BCG's, but to me it's a solution looking for a problem.

The only time I ever saw a gas key come lose was also on a NiB BCG. if the threads of the carrier are also NiB or Nitride coated, don't you think the lower coefficient of friction poses a potential issue?

And to answer a previous question - new builds and sometimes a spare or two. A good bolt will take a long, long time to wear out. Unless you are putting a thousand rounds per month through your AR, it'll be a good while. A good BCG can also be rebuilt a few times with a new extractor, springs, etc.

I've had a lot of friends want to put together an AR this past year, either because they couldn't find a complete one or they wanted to do something alittle more unique. In all cases they brought their own lowers, but I've helped a good deal of them with parts selection.

Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Don't snooze or you'll lose!

TOOLCRAFT 5.56 PHOSPHATE MPI FULL-AUTO BOLT CARRIER GROUP - NO LOGO

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...mpi-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-no-logo.html

PRODUCT DETAILS
    DETAILS
    Mil-Spec Carpenter No. 158® Steel Bolt

Shot Peened; Mag Particle Inspected

Chrome Lined Full-Auto Carrier

Chrome Lined Gas Key; Hardened to USGI Specifications

Secured with Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners

Staked Per Mil-Spec

FEATURES
    This Toolcraft Bolt is made of Mil-spec Carpenter 158 steel, shot peened, and mag particle inspected. Gas key is chrome lined, phosphate coated, and secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec. Full-auto bolt carrier is phosphate coated and chrome lined. Made in the USA.

Thank you, 2 inbound.

If anyone is looking to stock up on LPK's for future builds, global ordinance is having a sale on CMMG kits.

https://globalordnance.com/cmmg/?sort=featured&page=1

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    A good bolt will take a long, long time to wear out. Unless you are putting a thousand rounds per month through your AR, it'll be a good while. A good BCG can also be rebuilt a few times with a new extractor, springs, etc.
    Referring back to my post above how my basic training M16 was manufactured 18 years before I put my hands on it, there's no telling how many thousands of rounds that rifle handled. I know that in my time in Basic Training, In one week during our main BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship) period, I probably fired close to 1,000 rounds, and then fired a bunch of blank rounds during bivouacs doing various ambushes and staged firefights with other platoons.

So lets say hypothetically that rifle was in continuous use as a basic training rifle from 1971 through 1989 - 18 years.

To round things off, let's say that every basic trainee fires 1000 rounds during their 2 months of basic training. There are 6 training cycles per year, so that's 6000 rounds times 18 years = 108,000 rounds.

Clearly that rifle never saw THAT kind of use, but it was plenty worn out by the time I got it - it rattled like crazy and the takedown pins would push free with almost no effort at all. Undoubtedly it had been rebuilt a number of times before I saw it.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I received my RCA BCG today. I have to say it has one of the smoothest finishes and machining work I have ever seen on a BCG. I can see why Noveske uses them. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

What’s the general consensus on Gunlabs bcg? I didn’t find anything much negative, so I’m assuming at least decent.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    ...like, is it chrome lined?

I don't know that i've ever seen a chrome lined Nitride carrier or if that is even a thing.

From the interwebs
    nitrided bolt carrier groups do not require chrome lining of the gas key or inner areas of the bolt carrier because Nitride serves the same purpose as chrome lining.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    My biggest concern with most BCGs available right now is the 9310 bolt. C158 is a better option.

I haven't seen nitriding with chrome.

That debate has been raging for years but from everything I've seen they are equivalent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom