• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    I was thinking about putting my name down to be put into the draw for a CMP 1911, but the pricing for the individual grades seemed a bit steep considering their possible condition. Has anyone been lucky enough to get one that can report on their grade and general condition?

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I was thinking about putting my name down to be put into the draw for a CMP 1911, but the pricing for the individual grades seemed a bit steep considering their possible condition. Has anyone been lucky enough to get one that can report on their grade and general condition?

I can't speak for grade or quality but a Co-Worker just got a call 2 YEARS after he submitted his paperwork - they finally got to his number.

He was able to select between field and service grade and picked a service grade. He hasn't received it yet - this just happened a week or two ago.

I'm confident a CMP 1911 will holds its value.

GunBroker is full of Rack-Special Garands that anyone can buy from CMP for $650 selling for $1500-$2000.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    ... Has anyone been lucky enough to get one that can report on their grade and general condition?

Not mine but, this and the pics attached are what I received from an associate in October of last year ...

———————

Happy Birthday to me. I got a call from the CMP on Friday to let me know my number came up for the 1911 program. I submitted my packet a little over 2 years ago! I was offered a choice of all 3 grades (service, field or rack). I opted for the highest (service) grade. They shipped it yesterday and it arrived at my FFL today.

It’s a Remington Rand slide and frame. The serial number dates it as a 1945 production (75 years ago!). I really like the character of the original worn finish. My wife’s number came up about a year ago and the service grade pistol she got was a Colt slide on an Ithaca frame that had been reworked and re-parkerized prior to storage. I think her serial number is a 1943 production.

I think they are really neat pieces of history.
    ——————

Attachments

• 921439B9-FB5B-4AC3-8B98-58DDBDD75EB4.jpg
      921439B9-FB5B-4AC3-8B98-58DDBDD75EB4.jpg
      152.3 KB · Views: 598
    • B6F1EEF4-5AB1-45A1-A8A8-2204C1139668.jpg
      B6F1EEF4-5AB1-45A1-A8A8-2204C1139668.jpg
      143.5 KB · Views: 595

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I think the prices are on par or slightly better than what you'd pay for one of these from a private seller or (esp.) Gunbroker.com. My service grade is gorgeous. I recommend getting one.

Attachments

• pistol-45apc-1911A1.jpg
      pistol-45apc-1911A1.jpg
      89 KB · Views: 583

bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    Thanks everyone for the quick response. I would definitely be looking to get a Service Grade. I'm going to do it. I would probably get it slightly "tuned" to be polished, reliable and get a trigger job. I'm a bit particular about my triggers. Do these tweaks hurt their collectabiity? I would like to shoot it a bit.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    You probably can’t go wrong putting in for one. Some people balk at the pricing and say “well I can get a better/more accurate/shinier/whatever modern 1911 for the same or less money”. Ok, maybe, but it’s apples to oranges. The “youngest” frame on the CMP guns is going to be 1945. These are full of history and it’s an opportunity to purchase something that’s seen decades of US military service. It is luck of the draw, so you may not receive the maker you have your heart set on, etc, but if for some reason you end up with something you aren’t happy with, CMP will take it back for a refund or you can sell it someplace like Gunbroker where they routinely sell for more than the original sales price (like everything else CMP). I purchased one of these (a service grade) from the first round second hand and it’s a great pistol. I’ve put in for another one in my name this round as well.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the quick response. I would definitely be looking to get a Service Grade. I'm going to do it. I would probably get it slightly "tuned" to be polished, reliable and get a trigger job. I'm a bit particular about my triggers. Do these tweaks hurt their collectabiity? I would like to shoot it a bit.

That probably would hurt collectibility, yes. If that would worry you, you could stone a spare hammer down to 0.018”, drop in a match sear, and polish up a spare sear spring without changing anything.

The folks flipping these pistols (against CMP’s wishes) are getting $1500-2000 for them because they’re genuine USGI post-Vietnam rebuilds, so any changes would make them less valuable. The last DoD pistols to be released were in 1968, so these 18,000 or so guns are the only ones that reflect 1968-1985. Obviously, as Army releases more, they become less rare.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Plenty of pictures on CMP Forums.

There are some cool rebuild marks that have never been seen on the open market before, like USMC rebuild markings from Albany or Barstow. A number of people have done FOIA requests for their serial numbers to determine where they’ve been since the mid 70s. A few people have gotten M1911 frames updated to A1 by milling in the cuts behind the trigger. Those are apparently from a 1950-1953 USMC rebuild program.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    That probably would hurt collectibility, yes. If that would worry you, you could stone a spare hammer down to 0.018”, drop in a match sear, and polish up a spare sear spring without changing anything.

The folks flipping these pistols (against CMP’s wishes) are getting $1500-2000 for them because they’re genuine USGI post-Vietnam rebuilds, so any changes would make them less valuable. The last DoD pistols to be released were in 1968, so these 18,000 or so guns are the only ones that reflect 1968-1985. Obviously, as Army releases more, they become less rare.

Also be advised that anyone caught "flipping" these pistols will be banned for life from buying anything from CMP.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Also be advised that anyone caught "flipping" these pistols will be banned for life from buying anything from CMP.

You can only get one 1911 from CMP per lifetime. If you chose to sell it, CMP doesn’t care- you won’t get another one from them either way.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'll add if you just want a really well-built 1911A1 for recreational shooting, there may be better choices for the money. I like the history behind the CMP firearms. Also, this was the side arm you got when I was in the Army. 9mm? bah! That's like drinking lite beer.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ^^^^ This. Modern choices are much improved. But on the bare essential close in range...tough to beat the GI format...retro or original. Disregarding personal preference, the only real improvement to be made to the GI design are higher visibility sights and and improved bushing fit...not match tight but better.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    ^^^^ This. Modern choices are much improved. But on the bare essential close in range...tough to beat the GI format...retro or original. Disregarding personal preference, the only real improvement to be made to the GI design are higher visibility sights and and improved bushing fit...not match tight but better.

It's not a true M1911A1 unless it rattles. Everything else is just counterfeit.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    You can only get one 1911 from CMP per lifetime. If you chose to sell it, CMP doesn’t care- you won’t get another one from them either way.

Isn’t the ban for all CMP products? Unlike with the rifles, CMP actually seems serious about the “don’t resell these” provision. I think they’re worried about the political implications if one turns up at a crime scene.

After a CA dealer on Gunbroker posted the CMP certificate of a consignment pistol they were selling, people are a lot more cagey about CMP provenance, but the Mec-Gar magazine is a dead giveaway.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland

At first glance it is pricey. But if you want a genuine USGI pistol...beats what is typically asked on GB nowadays. If what you want is a GI configured pistol to shoot, get a Springer Mil Spec.

I’ve looked at site and grades of 1911’s. I just printed out the paperwork. Even the lowest, Rack Grade, will be in need of ‘minor’ work still isn’t bad if you start crunching numbers in component parts. Unmolested GI frames are $500 and higher. Slides $325 and up. If you want to receive it when your RNG comes up, $100-200 to upgrade is a good price considering it is theoretically a measurably better pistol. Minor work could be needing a hammer and sear. Used market parts are going to be $125-400, PLUS the labor. Of course the best collectible grades will be auction items on the CMP site.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD

I received the phone call in October 2019. I opted for the best grade available which was Field Grade. I was outside the original 8000 drawn so my choices were limited and took the top end of what was available.

Mine is an original 1943 Colt slide and frame. GHD inspection mark. No rebuild marks. Slide and frame are parkerized.

The gun does not shake or rattle with the slide closed and only slightly with it locked open as you would expect. It is settled in and the bushing comes off easily for disassembly. Usually medley of wear scratches on a pistol this old but otherwise was a very pleasant surprise when I received it.

The pistol was in better shape than I expected. Definitely a decent collector's piece. I have 1911 shooters and put in for CMP M1911 because of the provenance and collectibility. The "United States Property" and "M1911A1 US Army" marks is what makes it special.

Matt

bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    Not planning on selling anything I might get, but great info. Getting spare parts to be fitted sounds like a great alternate plan. Thanks for the great info guys.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Isn’t the ban for all CMP products? Unlike with the rifles, CMP actually seems serious about the “don’t resell these” provision. I think they’re worried about the political implications if one turns up at a crime scene.

After a CA dealer on Gunbroker posted the CMP certificate of a consignment pistol they were selling, people are a lot more cagey about CMP provenance, but the Mec-Gar magazine is a dead giveaway.

Not sure. I haven’t heard about a “ban”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom