77R: Do I need to complete this to purchase my AR-10?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CalgarisRex

Apr 8, 2021
    The 77R demands an HQL number to be completed...I'm sort of confused as to how to complete this paperwork that I thought was required.

Does an AR-10 purchase require a completed 77R?

Can I do that somehow without an HQL number?

If this is the case, is there any official guidance regarding this?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    When you go into the store, you'll complete a federal 4473 and the dealer will run an instant (more or less) background check. Then out the door you go.

dfitzs1

Mar 24, 2020
    You just go in, fill out a 4473 paper they hand you. You pass the background check, you go home with the rifle.

Dancingturd

Mar 23, 2021
    Frederick County
    While the topic of 77Rs are being discussed, how do you know if a particular firearm was purchased with a 77R or not? I know of a particular AR that a acquaintance has and he doesnt know if he did a 77R before the 2013 FSA or if it was a "compliant" firearm.

dfitzs1

Mar 24, 2020
    While the topic of 77Rs are being discussed, how do you know if a particular firearm was purchased with a 77R or not? I know of a particular AR that a acquaintance has and he doesnt know if he did a 77R before the 2013 FSA or if it was a "compliant" firearm.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if he bought it as a complete rifle he wouldn't have needed a 77r. If he bought the lower only then he would have needed to do it.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

Did this person buy it originally in Maryland? Did this person have a 7 day waiting period or was it cash and carry?

If yes to the first question and yes to the waiting period, it was likely a regulated AR15 and pre 2013 ban.

If it was bought in Maryland and no waiting period, chances are it is an unregulated long gun, which could be purchased before AND after the ban, although the HBAR variants were not quite as common as they are now, in MD anyway.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Before 2013 , HBAR were not common , other than actual Colt Delta HBAR .

1994- 2013 a whole buncha FFL streamlined their decision flowchart by treating all AR-15 as 77R , under the concept that erring the wrong way could jam them up with MSP , and " AR' s treated the same as handguns " was simple to explain to customers . Few purchasers considered it a big issue , unless they were 18- 20 yo .

After 2013 the distinction became a big deal .

So , a pre 2013 AR confirmed to have been 4473 only , is highly likely to be actually HBAR . A 1994- 2013 AR being sold with 77R has only a moderate corelation to actually having been Regulated .

After March 2021 , the question is pretty much moot .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Before 20131994 , HBAR were not common , other than actual Colt Delta HBAR .

1994- 2013 a whole buncha FFL streamlined their decision flowchart by treating all AR-15 as 77R , under the concept that erring the wrong way could jam them up with MSP , and " AR' s treated the same as handguns " was simple to explain to customers . Few purchasers considered it a big issue , unless they were 18- 20 yo .

After 2013 the distinction became a big deal .

So , a pre 2013 AR confirmed to have been 4473 only , is highly likely to be actually HBAR . A 1994- 2013 AR being sold with 77R has only a moderate corelation to actually having been Regulated .

After March 2021 , the question is pretty much moot .

I would say by 2013 there were a LOT of HBAR ARs available. Before 1994, pretty much only the Colt.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Thread drift time! I've got a pre-2013 556 lower purchased on a 77R. Does that mean I can put any upper on it even if it's M4 profile or something like that? And would it be good to go as a "pistol"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom