• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    I am thinking about buying a SKS rifle. Is there any particular website with good information that is a favorite of SKS owners here? Disassembly, re-assembly, cleaning of the bolt and so forth. Is there a website SKS rifles for Dummies? :lol2: Just looking to learn a little bit before I buy to see what I am getting into.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    SKS rifles are a lot of fun. I would suggest if you buy a Yugoslavian variant, (M59, M59-66A1), inspect the bore and gas system for corrosion very carefully. They did not have a chrome lining, and used corrosive ammo in conflict. Some were cleaned and cared for, some not.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I have a China SKS 56 shooter and it's a lot of fun. Mine shoots the cheap steel cased Tula ammo (TulAmmo) just fine with no mishaps and it is probably more accurate than I am.

The Chinese one I have has a chrome lined barrel. The Yugo's don't. You can buy a flexible led light for less than $10 at Horrible Freight that works fine for inspecting barrels. I have no idea what the current pricing on these are. Especially after AIM's M1 Carbines sold out in less than an hour.

Shop around.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I recommend finding a Chinese rifle with the National Security Forces markings. They were generally made on better machinery than other Chinese SKS rifles, by highly skilled workers. Many were trained to run the machines by Russians when they were sold to China.

Chrome bores, and tighter tolerances make them very nice shooters, and fairly easy to clean and maintain. Also less expensive than it's Russian counterpart, but the market today is kinda crazy with all SKSs bringing in high prices compared to 18 months ago. There are a few deals but they are hard to come by.

Also be aware that some rifles offered for sale are not as described, especially on Gunbroker.com. Lots of fake claims! Also beware of possible scams when looking at any online auction or private sale ad. Lots of that has been happening recently. Buying from a licensed dealer is usually your safest bet if shopping online.

https://www.yooperj.com/SKS.htm is an awesome resource for researching any potential purchase.

The SKS is one of my favorites. Reliable, reasonably accurate, and just plain fun to shoot!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The weird thing is, I sold so many SKS's over the years I've lost count and I couldn't tell you how many I currently own. Yet I haven't shot one since the 1990's! I will tell you, for shooting, the Chicoms are the best. For collecting, it's Soviet all day long,

Last edited:

dweissman

Mar 23, 2020
    Will Atlantic ship a C&R rifle to a MD C&R holder? I don't think they will ship a C&R pistol.

I do know they will ship a C&R pistol to a DC C&R holder (which a lot of companies will not). I got my Romanian Tokarev and a Beretta 1951 from them.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Scroll down and it reads "Important*C&R Notice*
    It is the C&R holders*Legal Responsibility*to insure the item is legal in their state*BEFORE*placing the order. We can not ship C&R items to MD C&R they will have to process through a FFL Dealer."

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Assholes. C&R IS an FFL, just not a dealer.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    The weird thing is, I sold so many SKS's over the years I've lost count and I couldn't tell you how many I currently own. Yet I haven't shot one since the 1990's! I will tell you, for shooting, the Chicoms are the best. For collecting, it's Soviet all day long,

Yowza! Working on some Norinco stocks and any info you have on that that you can send my way I'd appreciate it.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Scroll down and it reads "Important*C&R Notice*
    It is the C&R holders*Legal Responsibility*to insure the item is legal in their state*BEFORE*placing the order. We can not ship C&R items to MD C&R they will have to process through a FFL Dealer."

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think they have a problem shipping to a MD 03 FFL because they are based in MD.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think they have a problem shipping to a MD 03 FFL because they are based in MD.

This. Maryland law exempts dealers. It doesn’t exempt FFL-03’s on the 77r process. Since Atlantic are based in Maryland they can’t ship regulated firearms to FFL-03s.

If Atlantic were based in another state they could ship to Maryland FFL-03s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom