• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I don't like .380, but I have to hand it to Ruger. They see a market and they're doing a damn fine job of supplying it with a quality product.

And they kept production high even during COVID. I picked up an LCPII and an LC9s during the madness at normal retail pricing.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I don't like .380, but I have to hand it to Ruger. They see a market and they're doing a damn fine job of supplying it with a quality product.

And they kept production high even during COVID. I picked up an LCPII and an LC9s during the madness at normal retail pricing.

If looking for a new gun and a Ruger is in the comps, I tend towards the Ruger. It is a well and intelligently run American company with all production still fully stateside. I've never had a lemon from them. Others have, or so I've read, but their customer service is top notch and they will make it right.

Cryptotek1

May 1, 2017
    LCP Max grip length looks to be pretty close to a p365. The slide is shorter though. If true, I'd probably still prefer the 365. 9mm > 380 and the grip doesn't look more concealable.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I'm guessing that it will still need a review and addition to the roster. Ruger is marketing it as a new model entirely, not a sub-model of the LCP. Wish it were otherwise. I'm not sweet on .380 in general, but like options in the safe and this one has my interest.

I think this is true... it doesn't look like a replacement for the LCP/LCPII. From the spec sheets it is sized almost halfway between the LCP II and the Max-9, which is itself an upsized version of the LC9.

Several commenters here have said they'll replace their LCP with this... its the same length but .41" taller (3.71" vs 4.12"). That may not be significant if you're carrying on your waist but may mean the difference between sliding effortlessly out of your pocket and getting hung up.

Its taller than my P938 (3.9" per Sig site), which is barely pocketable in cargo shorts. IMHO the LCP-Max isn't going to be viable for pocket carry except maybe in a large jacket pocket.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    LCP Max grip length looks to be pretty close to a p365. The slide is shorter though. If true, I'd probably still prefer the 365. 9mm > 380 and the grip doesn't look more concealable.

Very close, 4.12" vs 4.3". Like I said earlier, not really a pocket gun unless you have some really big pockets.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    So the new LCP MAX 'is' a LCP. Here's the MSP language, is the MAX GTG? I guess not yet based on the bold language below

ADVISORY
    LD-FRU-21-002
    June 9, 2021
    REMOVAL OF MODEL NUMBER REQUIREMENT
    FROM THE MARYLAND HANDGUN ROSTER
    Effective, July 1, 2021, handgun model numbers will no longer be considered by the Maryland Handgun Roster Board (HRB). The "Model Numbers" category on the Maryland Handgun Roster will be renamed to "Model Description" and will remain on the Maryland Handgun Roster for historical purposes only.
    For the present time, “Model Number” will remain a required field on the 77R; however, “N/A” will be added to the “Model Number” dropdown list as an option to all current handgun models on the Maryland Handgun Roster. When entering the model number, please select one of the options from the dropdown list, which will include “N/A,” or click the “Not Listed” box and enter additional handgun descriptors as needed.
    HRB Petitions for model number additions will no longer be accepted. Please only submit a petition for caliber additions and model additions. Model additions include new models and mechanical modifications, such as, but not limited to, frame size, slide length or internal mechanical component changes to already approved handguns.
    For further information, please visit our website by clicking: Maryland State Police

Last edited:

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    So the new LCP MAX 'is' a LCP. Here's the MSP language, is the MAX GTG? I guess not yet based on the bold language below

ADVISORY
    LD-FRU-21-002
    June 9, 2021
    REMOVAL OF MODEL NUMBER REQUIREMENT
    FROM THE MARYLAND HANDGUN ROSTER
    Effective, July 1, 2021, handgun model numbers will no longer be considered by the Maryland Handgun Roster Board (HRB). The "Model Numbers" category on the Maryland Handgun Roster will be renamed to "Model Description" and will remain on the Maryland Handgun Roster for historical purposes only.
    For the present time, “Model Number” will remain a required field on the 77R; however, “N/A” will be added to the “Model Number” dropdown list as an option to all current handgun models on the Maryland Handgun Roster. When entering the model number, please select one of the options from the dropdown list, which will include “N/A,” or click the “Not Listed” box and enter additional handgun descriptors as needed.
    HRB Petitions for model number additions will no longer be accepted. Please only submit a petition for caliber additions and model additions. Model additions include new models and mechanical modifications, such as, but not limited to, frame size, slide length or internal mechanical component changes to already approved handguns.
    For further information, please visit our website by clicking: Maryland State Police

Should be an interesting test for the new language.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I’ve reached out to a LGS and the MSP for confirmation, however I don’t believe the LCP Max is GTG at this point. It was not listed in the March or June Roster minutes. The next meeting is in September.....

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Here's the answer from the MSP today on the legality of the new Ruger LCP MAX in Maryland.

The LCP Max does not appear to be an approved model name or been petitioned as of yet. If it is only a cosmetic variant, then a petition form should suffice. A sample would be requested if it was internally / functionally different from any of the other approved model names under the same manufacturer. Petitions are due by August 18th for the September 8th HRB meeting. If approved by the Board, the firearm should go in the next Maryland Register issue on September 24th. You have to allow 30 days for objections and if none, the firearm will be legal for sale and on the handgun roster on October 24th. Here is the petition form for your convenience: https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ting Minutes/Handgun Roster Petition Form.pdf.

Who provides the 'sample' for approval if we can't purchase them yet?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Who provides the 'sample' for approval if we can't purchase them yet?

You can pay for one, and your FFL can get it in-hand at their shop. They just can't hand it over to you as a transfer until the roster shows it. In the meantime, your purchase, physically, can become Exhibit A. Knowing they'll sell, no doubt several dealers have already ordered multiples from Ruger. They're not going to collect dust for a day past the roster showing them.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I got a chance to check one of these out today. It a really tight package. I’m hoping they get on the roster soon. I’ll be picking one up for sure.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Anyone know if the LCP Max has been submitted for the next HRB meeting. Just curious?

Not in the Register yet- the MAX 9 though is good to go this week. Got to check one out last week at a LGS and already paid, I’ll get to do paperwork this week. LCP Max I’ll check out, I have a I and II already but it may be a solid replacement for one or both of them with that capacity bump.

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/MDR/4814.pdf

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Not in the Register yet- the MAX 9 though is good to go this week. Got to check one out last week at a LGS and already paid, I’ll get to do paperwork this week. LCP Max I’ll check out, I have a I and II already but it may be a solid replacement for one or both of them with that capacity bump.

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/MDR/4814.pdf

Thanks!

I hope someone submitted the LCP Max. So I guess the earliest will be September.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom