• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    My guess is no(but I could be wrong). Because the lower is actually a separate item and can be built into a pistol, it would be transferred as "other", the wait is required. If you bought the two halves as an entire gun, it would be transferred as a "rifle" and thereby, c&c.

Good point.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Good luck with the hunting. I hope the new setup serves you well. :)

Thank you! I’m looking forward to it. My old gun has always done me right, it’s an old 3” 11-87 with rifled Hastings barrel. That’s all I’ve ever used around home. When I go to western Maryland I never know what I’m going to take. I kind of favor my 270.

I’m hoping I like the 350 legend, and I hope they make a 350 lever action soon. I’d love to have one!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thank you! I’m looking forward to it. My old gun has always done me right, it’s an old 3” 11-87 with rifled Hastings barrel. That’s all I’ve ever used around home. When I go to western Maryland I never know what I’m going to take. I kind of favor my 270.

I’m hoping I like the 350 legend, and I hope they make a 350 lever action soon. I’d love to have one!

Though I love my Savage 220(I even use it in Frederic), I have an 1187 set up the same way. Even has the barrel pinned. Used to call it 'the deer burner'. Great deer gun fo sho!

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Though I love my Savage 220(I even use it in Frederic), I have an 1187 set up the same way. Even has the barrel pinned. Used to call it 'the deer burner'. Great deer gun fo sho!

“Deer burner” is a good fit for that set up. Not fun or cheap to shoot, but deer don’t run far, and I’ve even made a few “long distance calls” with mine. I got one at a pinch over 100 yards, about 7 or 8 years ago, that’s awesome for a shotgun IMO.

Slug guns have come a long way since I was a kid, but I am glad the state opened up the straight walls.

I’m just hoping to find ammo, it seems most are OOS online.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I did the same thing but got a .450 Bushmaster upper. Hunted for 30 years with a Hastings barrel on a Remington 870. MD law changed. Biden said I didn't need an AR-15 to hunt deer. I bought a upper on sale at MidwayUSA, killed 2 deer last season with it to prove him and other liberals wrong. .350 Legion was a serious contender.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    350 Legend ammo is scarce. It was cheap a little over a year ago, $20 a box for Hornady hunting ammo. It shows up briefly if you subscribe to notifications like Midway but it sells out in an hour or two. Available on GunBroker at pirate prices, heard Bass Pro had some last week $35.
    The 350 is a good deer cartridge, low recoil. My son and my 8 year old grand son killed a bunch of deer last season with it. Pass through heart shot on a buck at 211 yards, dropped within a few yards and killed two does one shot at about 30 yards. The big doe ran about 30 yards and the little one behind it dropped in its tracks. Using Hornady Whitetail 170 gr. soft points kill deer but have been getting pass through at all ranges. We now own 5 Ruger Americans and 3 of his buddies bought 350 Legends.
    The 350 is a sort of a red heron with you not being able to make the brass from anything else. The bullet is SAAMI spec at .355-358 and Winchester and Hornady can't agree on the exact caliber. Hornady makes a .355 and Winchester makes a .357ish, I here tolerances aren't that great. Pistol bullet driven at 2000fps. are considered too fragile for hunting deer so you have to buy specific rifle bullet for the 350 Legend.
    My thought is somebody will come out with a straight wall 358 that uses already available rifle bullets.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I tried two different loads, Hornady 170gn and Federal 180 gn, along with cmmg mags.

The rifle didn't feed a single round. Every one stuck high entering the chamber. I'm sending this one back for them to fix it.

Teflon

Aug 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    I went with a CMMG upper and CMMG mags. Only put 5 rounds though it to pattern. Didn’t have the time to sight in. Needs about 200 more rounds. Gun is pretty picky. I’m using the 150 grn deer season Ammo. I bought a lot cuz it’s all that was around at the time. I’d prefer to bump that up to the .160 or .170. At 50 yards though i had a half inch group free hand. Gun needs work though. It does not love to cycle lol

I built an AR pistol with a BCA barrel and have the same issues, it struggles to feed. One issue seemed to be with the CMMG mags, the edge of the case catches on the front of the mag. I dremeled the front edge to be lower and it seems to help.

For ammo I've also been using the Deer Season XP 150gr. I bought 5 boxes from Cabela's (their limit on ammo), seemed to be the best way to do it. Free shipping over $50. Last Oct I paid $24/box, I see now it's $33 :sad20:. At least you can get it. I prob need to buy some plinking ammo that's cheaper so I can dial in the feeding issues.

Originally Posted by Batt816
    So I’m sure this has been covered somewhere, but I can’t find it.

I ordered my complete lower and had shipped to my ffl. I am hearing it is considered regulated, so I will have to do the 77r and wait the 7 days.
    I also ordered the complete upper (350 legend) the same day, and had it shipped to me.

My question is- if I take my complete upper in to my ffl, are the upper and lower combined cash and carry?

I don't think it would ever be C&C as a rifle since it's a centerfire AR platform. I think it would have to be on the registry, HBAR, etc.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I built an AR pistol with a BCA barrel and have the same issues, it struggles to feed. One issue seemed to be with the CMMG mags, the edge of the case catches on the front of the mag. I dremeled the front edge to be lower and it seems to help.

For ammo I've also been using the Deer Season XP 150gr. I bought 5 boxes from Cabela's (their limit on ammo), seemed to be the best way to do it. Free shipping over $50. Last Oct I paid $24/box, I see now it's $33 :sad20:. At least you can get it. I prob need to buy some plinking ammo that's cheaper so I can dial in the feeding issues.

I don't think it would ever be C&C as a rifle since it's a centerfire AR platform. I think it would have to be on the registry, HBAR, etc.

I’m pretty sure you are right as far as C&C. In my twisted little mind once the upper is connected to the lower it logically would be a rifle, however I understand logic and MSP don’t belong in the same sentence. I guess I will have to accept the “7 day cool down period”. I promise I won’t open my safe during those 7 days also. :)

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I know it is not close to you , but we have some 350 legend mags in stock.

Many thanks to Brian @ South Carroll Sporting Goods! I called him Saturday and had my mags in mailbox today!! Was cheaper and faster than any online supplier could do!!

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    BCA finally got back to me. They actually had the balls to send me instructions on how to sand and polish the feed ramps and chamber.

I told them that I'm not their gunsmith, and only then did they give me a shipping label.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    BCA finally got back to me. They actually had the balls to send me instructions on how to sand and polish the feed ramps and chamber.

I told them that I'm not their gunsmith, and only then did they give me a shipping label.

That's hilarious. Then, after that doesn't work, they tell you no warranty because you altered the part! :lol2:

(I have to admit, I polish and time all feed ramps in all of my guns)

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    FF9AB5DB-72F8-48ED-A8B9-AD82F35BCBD5.jpg

Got everything put together, and I’m pleased. First couple of rounds I had issues. I lubed everything up and it’s eating the 145 g winchesters real nice. It likes to run wet, and I have no problem with that.:).

Cheap gun that seems to do what it’s supposed to do.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Sighted in scope today. Started out shooting 10” low @ 100 yards (no bore sight done after mounting scope). Next 3 after adjustments 3” low, last 7 shots after adjusting, I had a 2” group, then the rain came. I’m still very pleased with this gun, I did have 2 FTF, I’m guessing it’s breaking in still. This is an awesome round for those who are used to deer hunting with a shotgun.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Sighted in scope today. Started out shooting 10” low @ 100 yards (no bore sight done after mounting scope). Next 3 after adjustments 3” low, last 7 shots after adjusting, I had a 2” group, then the rain came. I’m still very pleased with this gun, I did have 2 FTF, I’m guessing it’s breaking in still. This is an awesome round for those who are used to deer hunting with a shotgun.

Sounds good. Hunting season will be here before you know it.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Thread back from the recently dead. I'm looking at the BCA upper. Took my shotgun out yesterday to zero it and it's dead nuts at 50 yards which is all I need for this season.

On the subject of why? For me it's simple: 1) Good deer cartridge legal in MD; 2) Every idiot says "you don't need an AR to hunt" and I'll be able to say "oh?" and offer them a pound of frozen AR-harvested venison; 3) Thumb in the eye of those who hate a perfectly serviceable rifle. It's a win-win-win!

So has BCA improved on their feed ramp machine work or is it still hit and miss? Also, can you use a regular charging handle on their side-handle uppers? I'm not sure if I want to build from scratch in the off season or just buy this one but that side charging handle feels wrong for an AR.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Thread back from the recently dead. I'm looking at the BCA upper. Took my shotgun out yesterday to zero it and it's dead nuts at 50 yards which is all I need for this season.

On the subject of why? For me it's simple: 1) Good deer cartridge legal in MD; 2) Every idiot says "you don't need an AR to hunt" and I'll be able to say "oh?" and offer them a pound of frozen AR-harvested venison; 3) Thumb in the eye of those who hate a perfectly serviceable rifle. It's a win-win-win!

So has BCA improved on their feed ramp machine work or is it still hit and miss? Also, can you use a regular charging handle on their side-handle uppers? I'm not sure if I want to build from scratch in the off season or just buy this one but that side charging handle feels wrong for an AR.

Go buy a bolt action if you're set on .350 legend. I got my BCA upper to work, but it went back twice, I had to modify magazines, and it only feeds certain ammo.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore

I am pleased with mine. As I said previously, it likes to run wet. I do believe it is hit or miss, but for the price, I felt it was worth it. I think Gwchm has had to send his back twice. Hopefully his is good now too.

I love the round, and it’s accuracy. As for its effectiveness on whitetail, hopefully I’ll know first hand Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom