• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Oiling kitchen knives? Odd.

Wash 'em off and dry 'em and stick 'em in the knife block. My old carbon steel knives get that dark stain/patina, but the sharpen easily and cut just fine. If I were to get compulsive about them I'd use some olive oil, always at hand in the kitchen.

I suppose if you're hacking apart something large and edible in the woods, wiping any oil on the blade would take care of any issues.

Just don't use "oil of bitter almond".

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Oiling kitchen knives? Odd.

Wash 'em off and dry 'em and stick 'em in the knife block. My old carbon steel knives get that dark stain/patina, but the sharpen easily and cut just fine. If I were to get compulsive about them I'd use some olive oil, always at hand in the kitchen.

I suppose if you're hacking apart something large and edible in the woods, wiping any oil on the blade would take care of any issues.

Just don't use "oil of bitter almond".

^^^This

Dry it off if it rusts. I'm sure the OP isn't running them through his dishwasher(I sure hope he isn't).

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    ^^^This

Dry it off if it rusts. I'm sure the OP isn't running them through his dishwasher(I sure hope he isn't).

Nope, hand wash.

Thanks folks for the suggestions. I would assume a light coat of mineral oil wouldn't be harmful, rather than a tablespoon. Just enough to form a barrier to keep oxygen out until use. The Japanese oil Bountied recommended seems like the way to go.

Bountied,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Outrider,

Thanks for the suggestion on the silicone spray.

Q

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My knives are so good, they don't need no protection...

*****Holy crap those are some old knives! My grandparents used to save some kind of coupons from gas station visits that they would turn in for knives, drinking cups and glasses, clothing, and all manner of other stuff. When we cleaned out their closets after they went to heaven, they had LOTS of cups and things from ESSO, Exxon, Shell, Amoco, Texaco and a few brands I had never even heard of.

I even found some old cans of oil that were made of *cardboard* with metal tops and bottoms that you had to use some tool that looked like a spout with a sharp thing on the bottom to open the can to get the oil out! I ended up using the oil in my lawnmower at the time and it worked great!!!

Dunno how old the oil was but I figure it was probably in the ground a LOT longer than in the can!!! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• oil.jpg
      oil.jpg
      42.2 KB · Views: 217
    • quaker.jpg
      quaker.jpg
      27 KB · Views: 216

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    *****Holy crap those are some old knives! My grandparents used to save some kind of coupons from gas station visits that they would turn in for knives, drinking cups and glasses, clothing, and all manner of other stuff.

I even found some old cans of oil that were made of *cardboard* with metal tops and bottoms that you had to use some tool that looked like a spout with a sharp thing on the bottom to open the can to get the oil out!

There was a Scot gas station off Pershing Drive by Ft Meyer that used to sell gas for 29 cents a gallon, and give you plastic drinking cups free with the purchase. It was also full service - (that means they'd pump the gas for you, check the oil etc. I suspect there's some here that never heard the term.)

I'm surprised that you found an oil spout to be unusual, but now that I think on it, it's been a while since I saw a can of oil. FWIW, most all of them were paper/cardboard/some kind of tree product + metal top & bottom.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Nope, hand wash.

Thanks folks for the suggestions. I would assume a light coat of mineral oil wouldn't be harmful, rather than a tablespoon. Just enough to form a barrier to keep oxygen out until use. The Japanese oil Bountied recommended seems like the way to go.

Bountied,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Outrider,

Thanks for the suggestion on the silicone spray.

Q

NP, the Japs have been using that oil on their blades for centuries. It's gotta be a little bit good. Like I said I use it on my antique Japanese blades and only change it out once every 6 months. If a spec of rust got on those I'd have a heart attack. I've literally had nightmares that someone touched them and they got rusty. When I woke up I had to inspect them so I could go back to sleep. I trust it. My grandfather was a Japanese blade and tsuba expert that's what he told me to use when he gave them to me.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I was a meat cutter for 45 years, I worked inside supermarkets and Federally inspected packing houses.
    We mostly used the Norton tri-stones with what we called Jet Oil.
    It was food grade thin mineral oil that we also put in a squirt bottle and could spray it on our equipment like grinders and band saws. I still use it for all my food stuff at home.
    Here's a link at SharpeningSupplies.com but you can buy at it any commercial food supply/equipment type place or use plain mineral oil just rub it on your blade. It's food safe and approved. The USDA was even particular about what type of ink we used in our pens, everything had to be approved, soap, light covers even the cardboard we walked on the floor.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Honing-Oil-P546.aspx

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I even found some old cans of oil that were made of *cardboard* with metal tops and bottoms that you had to use some tool that looked like a spout with a sharp thing on the bottom to open the can to get the oil out! I ended up using the oil in my lawnmower at the time and it worked great!!!

Dunno how old the oil was but I figure it was probably in the ground a LOT longer than in the can!!! :thumbsup:

Those cans were used well into the mid to late 70s.

Then the plastic bottles came out.

Before those cans, oil came in drums, and the service station (they actually serviced cars, not just pumped gas) pumped it into 1 quart glass bottles with a metal spout that screwed on.

And every time you bought gas, the service station person filled your tank and checked your oil.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Those cans were used well into the mid to late 70s.

Then the plastic bottles came out.

Before those cans, oil came in drums, and the service station (they actually serviced cars, not just pumped gas) pumped it into 1 quart glass bottles with a metal spout that screwed on.

And every time you bought gas, the service station person filled your tank and checked your oil and washed your windshield.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Not sure about food grade but I use renaissance wax on all my working knives.

I think the poster above me was spot on with his recommendation of simple mineral oil though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom