• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cool

Jun 9, 2021
    The situation:

You have an unrestricted MD HGP CCW
    You are not on restricted grounds (fed property/school grounds)

Simple question: can you legally store your loaded firearm in your car by removing the holster and leaving the loaded gun in the holster, then placing it in a locked box in your center console?

After reading through: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=237835 my head was spinning - a lot of scenarios were getting mixed together, and I was left not knowing what's what.

My initial understanding was: yes, it's completely legal. However, after reading through that post I wanted some feedback on the specific situation.

Thanks; new to MDS and loving it.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is nothing specifically prohibiting that .

If you left it openly on the dashboard with Windows down , it could potentially be other generic things.

*Warning ! Venturing beyond letter of law to wise & prudent *

Out of sight , discrete , and reasonably secure , is Wise & Prudent . Both from protection from theft , or being observed swapping on & off triggering soccer moms to call in Man with a Gun .

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The situation:

You have an unrestricted MD HGP CCW
    You are not on unrestricted grounds (fed property/school grounds)

If you are on Federal property, or on school grounds, or county/state property, with a firearm, you are breaking the law, regardless of if you have a W&C permit.

There was a federal case of a couple that stored their firearm in their car while parked in the parking lot of a post office. The firearm was seen, police were called, they were arrested, charged, convicted and the conviction upheld in federal district court.

Simple question: can you legally store your loaded firearm in your car by removing the holster and leaving the loaded gun in the holster, then placing it in a locked box in your center console?

Short answer is no, see why above.

After reading through: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=237835 my head was spinning - a lot of scenarios were getting mixed together, and I was left not knowing what's what.

My initial understanding was: yes, it's completely legal. However, after reading through that post I wanted some feedback on the specific situation.

Thanks; new to MDS and loving it.

cool

Jun 9, 2021
    There is nothing specifically prohibiting that .

Awesome - I didn't think it was illegal, good to hear.

*Warning ! Venturing beyond letter of law to wise & prudent *

Out of sight , discrete , and reasonably secure , is Wise & Prudent . Both from protection from theft , or being observed swapping on & off triggering soccer moms to call in Man with a Gun .

Ten-four, and agree that would be the approach taken: out of sight, done discretely, locked and secure - only done when necessary. I was mainly concerned with the first part about it being legally prohibited, but the wise and prudent points are valuable, thanks.

cool

Jun 9, 2021
    If you are on Federal property, or on school grounds, or county/state property, with a firearm, you are breaking the law, regardless of if you have a W&C permit.

There was a federal case of a couple that stored their firearm in their car while parked in the parking lot of a post office. The firearm was seen, police were called, they were arrested, charged, convicted and the conviction upheld in federal district court.

Thanks for the additional context on carrying on federal grounds, I'm well aware it's illegal to do, but was not aware of the case you cited. However, my question was specifically excluding these restricted zones from consideration.

Short answer is no, see why above.

If on restricted (fed / school grounds), but this is the inverse of what I'm asking. Curious of your feedback on my question while not on restricted grounds. Thanks.

cool

Jun 9, 2021
    Thanks for the additional context on carrying on federal grounds, I'm well aware it's illegal to do, but was not aware of the case you cited. However, my question was specifically excluding these restricted zones from consideration.

If on restricted (fed / school grounds), but this is the inverse of what I'm asking. Curious of your feedback on my question while not on restricted grounds. Thanks.

In my original post I had a typo - had "unrestricted" instead of "restricted", which I think was the point of confusion. I edited the original post.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    The original post made me think about this- outside of the prohibited areas mentioned or the list of Statewide prohibited areas of possession I don’t see anywhere where vehicle storage (secure being a common sense element) is explicitly prohibited. If you have an unrestricted W&C you are excluded from the vehicle transportation policy.

Cut and pasted from the text of MD 4-203(b)(2):
    (2) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun, in compliance with any limitations imposed under § 5-307 of the Public Safety Article, by a person to whom a permit to wear, carry, or transport the handgun has been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;

cool

Jun 9, 2021
    The original post made me think about this- outside of the prohibited areas mentioned or the list of Statewide prohibited areas of possession I don’t see anywhere where vehicle storage (secure being a common sense element) is explicitly prohibited. If you have an unrestricted W&C you are excluded from the vehicle transportation policy.

Awesome, thanks!

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    The "clarification" has in fact un-clarified things, your OP says you have an UNRESTRICTED W&C but later posts seem possibly to contradict this. If in fact you do have a RESTRICTED permit you cannot have the gun in any manner or location OUTSIDE your restrictions. If you are in fact outside the restrictions, even having the gun unloaded in a locked box in your car will be treated the same as if you had no permit at all (limited to range, gunsmith, etc.) and carries a penalty that will make you prohibited for life.

If your permit is unrestricted how & when you have the gun in your possession, either on your person or in your car, is up to you and any prohibiting laws (as discussed above) like schools or post office, etc.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I wouldn't consider it storing a gun but securing it. I have a lock box in my truck for this purpose. It is out of sight and difficult to get a prybar against.

cool

Jun 9, 2021
    The "clarification" has in fact un-clarified things, your OP says you have an UNRESTRICTED W&C but later posts seem possibly to contradict this. If in fact you do have a RESTRICTED permit you cannot have the gun in any manner or location OUTSIDE your restrictions. If you are in fact outside the restrictions, even having the gun unloaded in a locked box in your car will be treated the same as if you had no permit at all (limited to range, gunsmith, etc.) and carries a penalty that will make you prohibited for life.

If your permit is unrestricted how & when you have the gun in your possession, either on your person or in your car, is up to you and any prohibiting laws (as discussed above) like schools or post office, etc.

My clarification was not referring to the permit type, it was referring to how I phrased the unrestricted vs restricted grounds.

Original:

You are not on unrestricted grounds (fed property/school grounds)

Updated clarification:

You are not on restricted grounds (fed property/school grounds)

When dblas thought I was referring to carrying on restricted land, I re-read my OP and saw the confusion - "you are not on unrestricted grounds" when I meant "you are not on restricted grounds".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom