• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    For a while, I've wanted a gunstock war club as seen in the movie, Last of the Mohicans.

Gunstock-war-club1.jpg

I purchased a kit from Crazy Crow. But I was disappointed when it was a short piece of pine. It's not for whacking flies.

20210904_165027_resized.jpg

So I purchased a piece of hickory. (Epic customer service message https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=6267937&postcount=1)

I did some research and traced out a pattern. I was going to try it, but thought that a pro-level woodworking friend would have the tools needed to cut it out a bit easier.

He wrote: Last night I looked the club up on-line and saw what you provided plus other images. Glad that I looked at them to see what you had in mind. I saw one similar to the template you drew on the wood. I also checked to make sure they were legal in MD. I can see with the blade that they are very dangerous weapons.

Before noon today, I transferred your drawing to a paper template. I then moved your printout down about an inch or less to get it away from the rough straight edge you had used. I also wanted to get the pattern into more of the heartwood and away from the sap wood on the edge. I took pictures and am taking pictures of the process. I rough cut the outline of the club. The wood is under 2 inches thick so I cut it down to 1.5 inches thick. I plained the straight edge on the top. I scrapped the butt end of the rifle club into a smooth circled edge according to your template. I used carving chisels to complete the arrow style end according to your pattern. I am presently smoothing the bottom edge.

Unless you say otherwise, I plan to keep the thickness at 1.5 inches in the center of the side of the club and then slope the edge down by 1/8 inch to the edge. This is similar to the pictures you provided. It will look good and the edges will be around 1.25 inches thick since I will take off a sloped 1/8 inch on each side. If you want it sloped more such as 1/4 inch let me know of which will provide 1 inch thickness at the edges. I think your pictures look more like a 1/4 inch slope from the center. Instead of a machined slope look, I will use wood chisels that will provide a shimmering light affect. It will look very nice on display.

Also, do you have a blade or want me to insert a blade? If you have one, just let me know. I noticed in the drawings, they use a blade that is held in place with a rivet. A potential blade would be an old wood handle kitchen knife that is ground down and shaped to a few inches and then use the predrilled rivet holes in the handle. A dangerous weapon for sure. These type of knives are hard to locate anymore. I did see a couple at the flea market this morning and should have bought one for a buck. They won't be there the next time.

Thanks and I'll let you know the status with a picture next time I work on it. Not sure when I'll be back in the woodshop.

Two days later, he wrote:
    Your item is completed and just let me know when you want to pick it up so that I am here or someone can pass it to you. Enclosed are two face pictures. I will provide a one page writeup with progress pictures. I created an overall template from your drawing on the wood plus created an internal template that kept the thickness at 1.5 inches on each face side. I tapered or sloped the sides 1/4 inch from the internal template to the edge. I kept the machine looking slope with a hand plane on the top slopes for both sides from front to back except for the pointed arrow. I left woodcarving chisel marks for the bottom taper. I think the woodcarving marks provide a nice visual that shows the item is not factory produced. I did not use any sandpaper and did not perform any sanding. I used a scrapper, wood chisels and hand planes. I softened or rounded all edges.

I recommend putting on one or two coats of hand-rubbed polyurethane (satin) of which is wiped off to provide protection from dirt when handling the item. The clean wood will quickly get dirty by touch and when you install the metal blade. Afterwards, it is easy to apply additional coats of sealer and no one can detect where the wood was disturbed that had been previously sealed. It blends very well. The hand-rubbed polyurethane is idiot proof and I highly recommend it for a lot of wooden items. I use it a lot and have not found anything that compares with it over my lifetime. After the item is completed and sealed, add a coat of paste wax that will really look good. Also, pictures don't do the item justice. I think it looks better than the pictures.

He sent photos:
    IMG_1906.jpg
    IMG_1899.jpg

So all that remains for me is to finish it with the recommended polyurethane and insert a blade.

The blade from the Crazy Crow kit is OK, but a bit shiny and modern. I'd like to find something similar in shape, but not as modern. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

20210904_165129_resized.jpg

Work in progress, but I'm liking it. The hickory was a good choice as this has some real weight. I'll add photos when it is complete.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Very cool!

(Hehe, right now desk jockeys at MSP and FBI-HQ are scrambling to get as much Intel as possible for upcoming Sensitive Bulletins on the newest domestic extremist white supremacist group known as, “The Last of the Mohicans War Club!”

What color shirts DO they wear?!!!!!! :tinfoil:

:omg:

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    The Last of the Mohicans is a top 5 movie for me. The cinematogrpahy, the score, the battle scenes and authentic (at least to me) dress and speech makes it an epic. I researched the gun stock clubs and they definitely existed.

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    If it will be a wall hanger, poly is a good choice because it can look great. If you plan to play with it, simple oil finishes are better for your hands. Boiled linseed oil or Tung oil are easy to apply, they just need time to cure. Tru oil (gunstock finish) is less natural but also good. I would look into the methods people use for axe handles for inspiration.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    For a while, I've wanted a gunstock war club as seen in the movie, Last of the Mohicans.

View attachment 321301

I purchased a kit from Crazy Crow. But I was disappointed when it was a short piece of pine. It's not for whacking flies.

View attachment 321302

So I purchased a piece of hickory. (Epic customer service message https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=6267937&postcount=1)

I did some research and traced out a pattern. I was going to try it, but thought that a pro-level woodworking friend would have the tools needed to cut it out a bit easier.

He wrote: Last night I looked the club up on-line and saw what you provided plus other images. Glad that I looked at them to see what you had in mind. I saw one similar to the template you drew on the wood. I also checked to make sure they were legal in MD. I can see with the blade that they are very dangerous weapons.

Before noon today, I transferred your drawing to a paper template. I then moved your printout down about an inch or less to get it away from the rough straight edge you had used. I also wanted to get the pattern into more of the heartwood and away from the sap wood on the edge. I took pictures and am taking pictures of the process. I rough cut the outline of the club. The wood is under 2 inches thick so I cut it down to 1.5 inches thick. I plained the straight edge on the top. I scrapped the butt end of the rifle club into a smooth circled edge according to your template. I used carving chisels to complete the arrow style end according to your pattern. I am presently smoothing the bottom edge.

Unless you say otherwise, I plan to keep the thickness at 1.5 inches in the center of the side of the club and then slope the edge down by 1/8 inch to the edge. This is similar to the pictures you provided. It will look good and the edges will be around 1.25 inches thick since I will take off a sloped 1/8 inch on each side. If you want it sloped more such as 1/4 inch let me know of which will provide 1 inch thickness at the edges. I think your pictures look more like a 1/4 inch slope from the center. Instead of a machined slope look, I will use wood chisels that will provide a shimmering light affect. It will look very nice on display.

Also, do you have a blade or want me to insert a blade? If you have one, just let me know. I noticed in the drawings, they use a blade that is held in place with a rivet. A potential blade would be an old wood handle kitchen knife that is ground down and shaped to a few inches and then use the predrilled rivet holes in the handle. A dangerous weapon for sure. These type of knives are hard to locate anymore. I did see a couple at the flea market this morning and should have bought one for a buck. They won't be there the next time.

Thanks and I'll let you know the status with a picture next time I work on it. Not sure when I'll be back in the woodshop.

Two days later, he wrote:
    Your item is completed and just let me know when you want to pick it up so that I am here or someone can pass it to you. Enclosed are two face pictures. I will provide a one page writeup with progress pictures. I created an overall template from your drawing on the wood plus created an internal template that kept the thickness at 1.5 inches on each face side. I tapered or sloped the sides 1/4 inch from the internal template to the edge. I kept the machine looking slope with a hand plane on the top slopes for both sides from front to back except for the pointed arrow. I left woodcarving chisel marks for the bottom taper. I think the woodcarving marks provide a nice visual that shows the item is not factory produced. I did not use any sandpaper and did not perform any sanding. I used a scrapper, wood chisels and hand planes. I softened or rounded all edges.

I recommend putting on one or two coats of hand-rubbed polyurethane (satin) of which is wiped off to provide protection from dirt when handling the item. The clean wood will quickly get dirty by touch and when you install the metal blade. Afterwards, it is easy to apply additional coats of sealer and no one can detect where the wood was disturbed that had been previously sealed. It blends very well. The hand-rubbed polyurethane is idiot proof and I highly recommend it for a lot of wooden items. I use it a lot and have not found anything that compares with it over my lifetime. After the item is completed and sealed, add a coat of paste wax that will really look good. Also, pictures don't do the item justice. I think it looks better than the pictures.

He sent photos:
    View attachment 321303
    View attachment 321304

So all that remains for me is to finish it with the recommended polyurethane and insert a blade.

The blade from the Crazy Crow kit is OK, but a bit shiny and modern. I'd like to find something similar in shape, but not as modern. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

View attachment 321305

Work in progress, but I'm liking it. The hickory was a good choice as this has some real weight. I'll add photos when it is complete.

Cool, but Magwa disapproves..:D

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Has anyone else noticed when Daniel Day Lewis is running along the cliff, through the little “tunnel” right when Nicolas dies, the boulder he touches bounces?

Agree, top 5 movies

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom