• ...and so much more!
  • Kair350

"Send Me"
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2016
    Harford County MD

RACK GRADE M1 GARAND​

ITEM #DESCRIPTIONPRICE
    RM1RACKCMP has a very limited amount of M1 Garand, SA or HRA Rack Grade Rifles available. These rifles will be offered mail order, sold as is, with no exchanges. The rifles are rack grade (rough but functional and have been test fired).

Available
    $650
    Free S/H

6-8 WEEK DELIVERY

Kair350

"Send Me"
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2016
    Harford County MD
    From their web page “thecmp.org”

RACK GRADE: (FAIR)​

Rack Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt several times while in military service and will have some parts from other manufacturers. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there will be pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, poor fit, many digs, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be dark and poor; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge more than “5”. The rifle is head spaced with a field guage and function fired. The overall appearance and condition of the rack grade will generally be rougher than any other grade. Fair condition.

Manufacturer selection guarantees only that the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel, receiver, and other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers; and may also be of commercial origin with original, re-parkerized, or other commercial finish

rocket1331

Jul 9, 2014
    I've delayed for far too long, now I am probably way late. Wonder if just going for the expert grades they have listed now is the move, or wait and see if the service grades come back.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    CMP evaluations should be taken with a grain of salt. My barrel rec'd top marks from CMP, but it didn't gauge anywhere near as good as CMP said; ended up replacing the barrel with a used one that gauged better.

I know nearly zip about Garands; took it to Charlie Maloney for a lookover and trigger job. That's where I found out about the CMP issues.

tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo
    Congrats on those M1s! They look great and worth the wait.

On my want list, but I am still trying to learn more about the various grades, etc. before I purchase.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I have 3 CMP service grades, one functions absolutely perfectly, the other two don’t cycle (as of last Saturday) but on Monday I took the other two apart and did some fitting and they should function just fine. On the one the op rod was rubbing on the bottom side of the barrel and the side of the top hand guard which caused it to fail the tilt test, now they both pass but haven’t test fired them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    If you want a good shooter, just get the cheapest grade that has a new Criterion barrel. I'd rather have the Criterion barrel over any GI barrel. Then you don't have to worry about grading and such.

rocket1331

Jul 9, 2014
    Do these expert grade M1s come with the Criterion barrel? Or its something else, unless its specified as one?

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I have 3 CMP service grades, one functions absolutely perfectly, the other two don’t cycle (as of last Saturday) but on Monday I took the other two apart and did some fitting and they should function just fine. On the one the op rod was rubbing on the bottom side of the barrel and the side of the top hand guard which caused it to fail the tilt test, now they both pass but haven’t test fired them yet.

As long as it's not been over a year since the purchase, CMP has always taken care of non-functioning issues for me? One time I mailed back the fire control group and they sent me a replacement (was getting multiple rounds fired per trigger pull) and the other time sent the whole rifle back for the rear sight not adjusting properly, and they sorted it out

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    As long as it's not been over a year since the purchase, CMP has always taken care of non-functioning issues for me? One time I mailed back the fire control group and they sent me a replacement (was getting multiple rounds fired per trigger pull) and the other time sent the whole rifle back for the rear sight not adjusting properly, and they sorted it out

I’ve only ever shot ten my reloads out of them and I like lighter loads but after the fitting I did I finally got them to work with a hotter load

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I wish I could get another one. It’s get another CMP Garand or finally get a 1903a3. And having the 03A3 is winning out.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Do both because they aren't making any more of either of those and they will just become scarcer.
    If money were unlimited, sure. But since it isn't...

I am not resigned that I'll have zero chances at another CMP Garand in my life. But I am not counting on it either. I'd like to pick one up that I'll mind bumping around in the woods less than my CMP service grade. It is in really great shape, even for a service grade. So that makes me loath to want to ever take it deer hunting unless it was going to be nice weather and not much off trail beating through the brush.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    If money were unlimited, sure. But since it isn't...

I am not resigned that I'll have zero chances at another CMP Garand in my life. But I am not counting on it either. I'd like to pick one up that I'll mind bumping around in the woods less than my CMP service grade. It is in really great shape, even for a service grade. So that makes me loath to want to ever take it deer hunting unless it was going to be nice weather and not much off trail beating through the brush.
    i just picked up an M1 , can't wait to shoot it . if you don't want to get a serivce rifle dirty you probley don't need a service fifle .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    i just picked up an M1 , can't wait to shoot it . if you don't want to get a serivce rifle dirty you probley don't need a service fifle .
    It’s not dirty I mind. It’s smashing it in to a tree, getting it muddy/soaking wet and subsequent deep cleaning I’d need to do, etc. it was a service rifle more than my lifetime ago. Mine just happens to be service grade (lookup the CMP grades). If I had a rack grade, I’d mind humping it through the woods a lot less. Mine gets lots of range time. It’s not a safe queen. But I do treat it nicer than I would pretty much any of my other guns.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    it was dragged acrossed europe in the weather , i think it will stand at least one more wet day , i'm sure mine will suffer a day outdoors in pursuit of game .

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    It’s not dirty I mind. It’s smashing it in to a tree, getting it muddy/soaking wet and subsequent deep cleaning I’d need to do, etc. it was a service rifle more than my lifetime ago. Mine just happens to be service grade (lookup the CMP grades). If I had a rack grade, I’d mind humping it through the woods a lot less. Mine gets lots of range time. It’s not a safe queen. But I do treat it nicer than I would pretty much any of my other guns.
    It’s still more weatherproof than a blued hunting rifle if you prepare it right. I wipe down the whole thing with grease so it won’t run in the rain and won’t easily wear off from handling. The parkerizing holds grease great. I mix some beeswax into the linseed oil so the stock is reasonably waterproof. The action can be removed from the stock without a screwdriver and the recesses are easily to dry off.

My main M1 and 03 have gotten soaked a few times from hunting or from shooting in the open and I don’t even bother to detail strip them anymore. They dry fine on their own after I get most of the water off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom