Total Posts: 1
    Posts Per Day: 0.00
    Find all posts by Delevate
    Find all threads started by Delevate

General Information

Last Activity: October 11th, 2021 09:07 AM
    Referrals: 0

Interesting . . .

Found out in April 2020 he was screwed. Found out in October 2021, no help here.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Total Posts

Total Posts: 1
    Posts Per Day: 0.00
    Find all posts by Delevate
    Find all threads started by Delevate

General Information

Last Activity: October 11th, 2021 09:07 AM
    Referrals: 0

Interesting . . .

Indeed. Wouldn't rule out the mother trying to assess unforeseen liabilities before opening up the new "anchor nutrition" in the same location.

Money_B_85

Mar 30, 2017
    Not sure if this is public knowledge or not but all of gymratz unsettled inventory went to gunmonkey armory in laplata. I was in there yesterday about some suppressors I had at gymratz and they told me there is still a lot of unclaimed stuff and money owed to people from gymratz just sitting there because they don’t have peoples contact info. If your one of those people I would suggest you contact them.

Wow that is ridiculous. I got lucky with Gym Ratz then. 2 interactions in 2018 and both were smooth. Didn’t venture out afterwards and glad I didn’t.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Here's some more salt in the wound: apparently when a dealer goes out of business, the ATF takes possession of their records, and the Brandon Admin has been sucking data out of those records, stuff they otherwise are legally prevented from gathering/storing:

"The ATF in fiscal year 2021 processed 54.7 million out-of-business records, according to an internal ATF document obtained by the Gun Owners of America, a firearms advocacy group, and provided exclusively to the Free Beacon. When a licensed gun store goes out of business, its private records detailing gun transactions become ATF property and are stored at a federal site in West Virginia."

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Here's some more salt in the wound: apparently when a dealer goes out of business, the ATF takes possession of their records, and the Brandon Admin has been sucking data out of those records, stuff they otherwise are legally prevented from gathering/storing:

"The ATF in fiscal year 2021 processed 54.7 million out-of-business records, according to an internal ATF document obtained by the Gun Owners of America, a firearms advocacy group, and provided exclusively to the Free Beacon. When a licensed gun store goes out of business, its private records detailing gun transactions become ATF property and are stored at a federal site in West Virginia."

That's the law. When a business closes, the records go to the feds. Has always been that way as far as I know.... unless your an 03 collector.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    That's the law. When a business closes, the records go to the feds. Has always been that way as far as I know.... unless your an 03 collector.

No doubt. Still: I feel like a relatively informed person on broader gun issues, and never knew that. But the real point here isn't that the records are going into federal custody for storage by ATF ... it's that the Brandon admin is now "processing" those records, and compiling a database (now in excess of 54 millions names connected with their firearm purchases) that violates if not the letter, sure as hell the spirit of the law that is supposed to prevent the existence of a federal firearms purchasing database.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    No doubt. Still: I feel like a relatively informed person on broader gun issues, and never knew that. But the real point here isn't that the records are going into federal custody for storage by ATF ... it's that the Brandon admin is now "processing" those records, and compiling a database (now in excess of 54 millions names connected with their firearm purchases) that violates if not the letter, sure as hell the spirit of the law that is supposed to prevent the existence of a federal firearms purchasing database.

Respectfully, where are you getting that? If I tell you that I processed a record it likely means I stored it correctly as opposed to leaving it piled up in boxes.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Respectfully, where are you getting that? If I tell you that I processed a record it likely means I stored it correctly as opposed to leaving it piled up in boxes.

The discussion of this on the Free Beacon is based on GOA (Gun Owners Of America) being given an internal ATF document talking about the 50+ million records being processed in 2021. Will do more digging to see why they are characterizing the recent processing as different than previous collecting of those same piles of OOB records.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The discussion of this on the Free Beacon is based on GOA (Gun Owners Of America) being given an internal ATF document talking about the 50+ million records being processed in 2021. Will do more digging to see why they are characterizing the recent processing as different than previous collecting of those same piles of OOB records.

Thanks. I'd be curious what they learn.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    Thanks. I'd be curious what they learn.

My understanding from the article I looked through this morning was that the hard copies of said records are being digitized and stored on electronic media and the hard copies dumped.

I think there was a quote in there that they were not searchable, in that all they had were images and none of the text was searchable....but they didn't specify what format it was in. However, no matter what format it is in the tech is there to convert it to searchable PDFs...that makes it a little more usable and there are companies that specialize in exploiting just such data. Now if they pull everything out and drop it into a database then they would have something scary.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This has been going on for a long time. I read an article years ago which said they had several shipping containers full of FFL records in the parking lot of the building in Martinsburg.

Supposedly they had a bunch of little old ladies taking the Bound Books one by one and entering the information into the database by hand. It was presented as a slow and inefficient process. The article featured the Bureaucrat in Charge whining about the law which prevented them from using more efficient techniques to process the information.

If they're processing 50 million records this year, it sounds like they're no longer being restrained by the law he was whining about.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    This has been going on for a long time. I read an article years ago which said they had several shipping containers full of FFL records in the parking lot of the building in Martinsburg.

Supposedly they had a bunch of little old ladies taking the Bound Books one by one and entering the information into the database by hand. It was presented as a slow and inefficient process. The article featured the Bureaucrat in Charge whining about the law which prevented them from using more efficient techniques to process the information.

If they're processing 50 million records this year, it sounds like they're no longer being restrained by the law he was whining about.
    Last I checked it was a warehouse in disrepair with records piled to the ceiling everywhere. 54M records are probably what they took in, not processed.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    My understanding from the article I looked through this morning was that the hard copies of said records are being digitized and stored on electronic media and the hard copies dumped.

I think there was a quote in there that they were not searchable, in that all they had were images and none of the text was searchable....but they didn't specify what format it was in. However, no matter what format it is in the tech is there to convert it to searchable PDFs...that makes it a little more usable and there are companies that specialize in exploiting just such data. Now if they pull everything out and drop it into a database then they would have something scary.

OCR, been around in one form since 1914.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_character_recognition

Don't even need to convert it to PDF's.

Google Photos/Lens even allows you search for text in your pictures.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA

I think this video covers everything you mentioned for those interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom