• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    How would you go about getting this apart, disturbing as little as possible for repair.
    I'm thinking, very carefully disrupting the peened over area surrounding the washer and then, peening it back over once done.
    Ive had this around for a long time with another really bad relic sabre with a fuller that I may just turn into a knife with the remaining remnants.
    Or, should I just grind the end or say the hell with it and leave it alone.
    I don't understand why the washer has a groove cut into it, with the tang peened over to secure the washer /grip handle all together.

Ns2.jpg

Ns1.jpg

Ns4.jpg

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    A blacksmith would heat the peened end to a red heat (now we would use an oxy acetylene torch with a small tip to localize the heat) and forge the peened area back to square or round probably need to use a punch (make a rectangular punch with a flat face) and support the opposite side. dress it up on an anvil afterwords and it will be ready to peen back again when you are ready.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I think that's what I'm going to do. Except I was going to drill a hole through a piece of square stock, then cut it in half so I wind up with two forming punches that are easy to control. Then use them in a way that the support punch can be set up at the bottom, helping to form the tang back to round as the top one is being struck at the same time.

At first I considered drilling a hole in the center, then driving the outside edges towards the center after heating, but thought remnants of the hole would remain if the depth was too great that could be detected afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom