• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I don't know. Looking at images online, the previous feed ramp I had looked similar to 308 feed ramps on AR10s. Maybe they just had the wrong barrel extension accidentally put on at the factory?
    I have read that some 350 legend use 300 back out feed ramps, others use the large single ramp like the one I have now and yours. I was hoping that I could find images online from every 350L barrel manufacturer to see what feed ramps they use but couldn't find anything.
    Before sending the upper back, I was contemplating keeping the upper and buying a new barrel and try to dremel the first barrel's feed ramps and keep as a spare. In the end I figured it would be just as much a gamble, not knowing what feed ramps I would get, I thought it best to just send it back.
    Midway's refund/exchange was easy. Hopefully, I don't need to go through it again.

I think that a manufacturers thought the 308/300blk were a good idea until everyone returned them. Then they realized big bore feed ramps are needed.

Thank you for being part of Midways focus group of testers lol.

You can buy big bore barrel extensions for like $35 plus shipping. which would be plan B before I dremeled feed ramps.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    so I have tried two types (CMMG and Midway "AR Stoner"). I have one more on the way (Duramag). Unfortunately the Wilson Combat Lancer are unobtanium because MD sucks (15 rnds).

My experience is that 350 legend is finicky. I have had zero feed issues with Winchester (fmj and nickel plated brass 160 gr hollow points).

I have had feed issues with 2 kinds of Hornady(165 ftx and 170 gr whitetail). The Hornady 170 sp shot best (most accurate) so I went with it despite the feed issues.

About 1 of every 4 Hornady cartridges would not feed correctly.

I did fix this. Based on some yt research I tried a few things, but what ultimately worked is basically to remove about 1/4 inch from the feed lips. There is a yt video that suggested this. Removing 1/4 inch causes the cartridge to raise earlier. Edit: some reviews suggest removing material from the front of the magazine. dremeling 1/8 off the front of the magazine does not work as well because the angle of the feed ramp is probably an issue. you want the cartridge to present to the chamber/feed ramp at a better angle.

Since I've done this I've gone through two mags without a single feed issue.

Also: I have observed, since this is a straight walled cartridge, feed issues lead to accuracy issues. It seems like the bullet is not seated super tight in these. it's not crimped. If the bullet gets jammed in the brass, the bullet will present to the rifling inconsistently.

edit: as far as hunting, see the bambi whacking thread. 350 legend is a great cartridge.

Thanks camo for the write up...

Like you, I've tried a couple mags. CMMG and Duramag. Like you, I discovered they were identical, and with both I would have an occasional hangup.

I trimmed one CMMG mag like you described, and I just ran 5 rounds through it, 3 times in a row (just manually racking the BCG) and it fed flawlessly. Thanks again!

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    I shot my SIL's 350 legend AR Tuesday morning. He has lancer mags and I was using 170 grain Hornandy whitetail ammo. These would not feed at all. The exposed lead tip would hit the barrel
    extension and the soft lead would just jam every time. I sighted it in by single feeding each round. The ammo was extremely accurate, but the rifle was reduced to a single shot AR. Not good.

The 180 grain Winchester soft point feed from the mags, however I haven't been back to the range. He also picked up some 165 grain FTX hunting rounds that seem to have a longer jacket on the bullet and should feed as well. Ill find out more on Tuesday.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I shot my SIL's 350 legend AR Tuesday morning. He has lancer mags and I was using 170 grain Hornandy whitetail ammo. These would not feed at all. The exposed lead tip would hit the barrel
    extension and the soft lead would just jam every time. I sighted it in by single feeding each round. The ammo was extremely accurate, but the rifle was reduced to a single shot AR. Not good.

The 180 grain Winchester soft point feed from the mags, however I haven't been back to the range. He also picked up some 165 grain FTX hunting rounds that seem to have a longer jacket on the bullet and should feed as well. Ill find out more on Tuesday.

I was so excited to build one. Same shit as above. To the point where it’s frustrating making all the tweaks and nothing working. I’m gonna sight it in tomorrow and basically have a single shot for the season but I’m gonna grab a Winchester bolt action for next season

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I was thinking to go an AR build for mine too. After seeing threads like this and realizing the round is just too new to get all of the kinks out I went bolt action.
    Picked up a Ruger American for this season. Will wait a year or 2 and then look at an AR build.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    The barrel extensions are the problem with the ARs. ppl think its the mags, but its mainly the extensions they are putting on the barrels. Bottlenecked cartridges were invented for a reason lol. Oh, and Faxon now says dont use uppers with M4 feed ramps. Now you tell me :rolleyes: (see post #12, I have m4 cuts in the upper). After the season I will polish my feed ramps. I saw one yt video where they polished the chamber too. That seems like a great idea, if you like all the issues that come with improper headspace because you overdid it. On the up side, I've already killed 4 deer.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I’m gonna have an upper in the classifieds soon. I said F it and purchased a bolt today. Wish me luck on sight in tomorrow

rol716

Sep 28, 2010
    Baltimore City
    Got to shoot the replacement midway upper yesterday. It jammed the first 2 win 145 fmj rounds. Then ran fine the next 4. Went through 20 rounds of win 180 power points and it was approximately 1 out of 4 or 5 shots would fail to load. The last 6 rounds were 3 rounds to a mag and it ran fine. Tried 6 shots of hornady 165 fxt and each round jammed. I would have thought they would load the easiest. Guess there are some more quirks to work out. It will be good for the season though. I only hunted with a muzzle loader in every previous firearms season so for now a single shot is fine with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    That's so disappointing to hear. My SIL is contemplating sending his back, however its getting close to hunting season and a single shot AR is better than "No" Ar.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    so I have tried two types (CMMG and Midway "AR Stoner"). I have one more on the way (Duramag). Unfortunately the Wilson Combat Lancer are unobtanium because MD sucks (15 rnds).

My experience is that 350 legend is finicky. I have had zero feed issues with Winchester (fmj and nickel plated brass 160 gr hollow points).

I have had feed issues with 2 kinds of Hornady(165 ftx and 170 gr whitetail). The Hornady 170 sp shot best (most accurate) so I went with it despite the feed issues.

About 1 of every 4 Hornady cartridges would not feed correctly.

I did fix this. Based on some yt research I tried a few things, but what ultimately worked is basically to remove about 1/4 inch from the feed lips. There is a yt video that suggested this. Removing 1/4 inch causes the cartridge to raise earlier. Edit: some reviews suggest removing material from the front of the magazine. dremeling 1/8 off the front of the magazine does not work as well because the angle of the feed ramp is probably an issue. you want the cartridge to present to the chamber/feed ramp at a better angle.

Since I've done this I've gone through two mags without a single feed issue.

Also: I have observed, since this is a straight walled cartridge, feed issues lead to accuracy issues. It seems like the bullet is not seated super tight in these. it's not crimped. If the bullet gets jammed in the brass, the bullet will present to the rifling inconsistently.

edit: as far as hunting, see the bambi whacking thread. 350 legend is a great cartridge.
    Thanks bud
    I was having a 1 in 5 malfunction but that little trick straightened right up.

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    An update with my SIL's AR. I took the rifle back to the range with cmmg mags, and the hornandy FTX rounds, they have the ballistic tip and I thought they may chamber easier. At this Point
    its a 50/50 proposition. If I place a round in the chamber and close the bolt, they insert a magazine with the FTX round its 50/50 that they will feed. They shot very accurate just wouldn't feed.

So, with this morning being the opener of deer season, he has to make that first shot count. He's going to send this thing back after deer season or seek a gun shop who may be able to smooth out the barrel extension/feed ramp.

Good luck to all that are heading out this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom