• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I went to the range yesterday and shot a bunch of my guns. It was a blast. <Get it Blast..... Now the part I hate. Cleaning them all. I know there will be many of you that say one day at the range doesn't mean the gun need cleaning and maybe they don't but I am just that guy that likes to keep my shit clean. I can't help myself. Who hates cleaning guns as much as I do?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    It's not my favorite thing, but I don't clean after every range trip. For my target gun, I clean every 80 rounds or so. Others, not very often at all(read thousands).

I dislike reloading more, takes so much time

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Part of the reason I rarely shoot is that I hate cleaning them afterward.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    They are your guns, so do what you like.

I have observed and worked on countless firearms damaged or worn badly by owners "cleaning" them. Some people cause damage from excessive disassembly/reassembly. Some do it from improper disassembly/reassembly. Many under lubricate, use tools that cause damage, etching chemicals, scrapers or abrasives.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I like seeing just how dirty my range guns can get and still function. I also had a 10/22 that I didn't clean until I had crud jammed under the extractor.

The AR and HD pistol get cleaned regularly.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Low Odor Mineral spirits, a Tupperware “shoe box,” natural bristle 1” brush and an air compressor.

Now, I can clean a couple guns in the time it’s taken me to read this thread; I too used to hate cleaning arms, and also to point it hindered me going to the range. Not no mo, tho …

Somewhere (approx. within last 6 mo.s) there is a thread where I posted the process, wit ph pics of my cart on wheels that I can roll out our bsmt door onto our lighted patio … I don’t have time to find it though, sorry

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I went to the range yesterday and shot a bunch of my guns. It was a blast. &lt;Get it Blast..... Now the part I hate. Cleaning them all. I know there will be many of you that say one day at the range doesn't mean the gun need cleaning and maybe they don't but I am just that guy that likes to keep my shit clean. I can't help myself. Who hates cleaning guns as much as I do?

I prefer to shoot them more than cleaning them. I guess you have to strive for some balance. Do you thoroughly clean your lawnmower every time you use it? How about your toaster or coffee maker? I suspect you keep them in good shape, and not overly dirty, but probably choose to do some sort of deeper cleaning periodically as needed. Why not do the same with your firearms. Like my lawnmower or appliances, I probably often wipe down the outside after I’m done shooting. But I assume you are cleaning the barrel and chamber after each use.

Not every type of gun needs the same cleaning regimen either. For me I’ve settled on something like this.

For precision bolt guns maybe every 200 rounds.

Match grade AR shooting suppressed Maybe 300-500 rounds.

Regular range toy AR’s maybe 2500 rounds or more. Just keep them well lubricated.

Semi-auto shotguns maybe just spray down the action every 100 rounds or so.

Glocks - Never

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    question

I went to the range yesterday and shot a bunch of my guns. It was a blast. <Get it Blast..... Now the part I hate. Cleaning them all. I know there will be many of you that say one day at the range doesn't mean the gun need cleaning and maybe they don't but I am just that guy that likes to keep my shit clean. I can't help myself. Who hates cleaning guns as much as I do?

being a smart-alec but do you change your car's oil after every time you drive to the store? J/K. I can see precision/target guns like mentioned- like a teardown of drag racing engines between rounds. For normal shooters, many state that they clean after the rounds start to spread. Rimfire, more often. Even then. I have a lot of rounds through my 15-22 and Savage 6A and have not really done serious cleaning on them. I may field strip and clean out after a many rounds though.

With respect to cleaning guns and your "love" for it, you are correct lol. Sometimes, though it gives me an excuse to just keep up with disassemble and reassemble.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I used to clean after every range trip back when I had 2 guns. Now I only clean if I've shot corrosive ammo or if one is disgustingly dirty.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    People overclean bores and pay too little attention to proper lubrication of the action. Clean the bore when groups start opening up. Just foam in some wipe out, let it drip out of the muzzle onto something like a paper plate/paper towels for a couple hours, then run some patches with a good rod from chamber to bore until they come out clean. Repeat if necessary, but actual time spent cleaning is negligible...most is you off doing something else while the Wipeout does its thing.

Meanwhile, just wiping down the action to remove most of the crud and then lubing with some kind of halfway decent lube is good enough. Eezox or rust prevent on anything outside that may rust for storage.

Scrubbing them spotless every range trip just isn't needed. You then need to refoul the bore again before getting back to consistent shots. Once the groups open up again, repeat cleaning.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    When I was shooting them more frequently I rarely cleaned them. When I can get to the range now I tend to clean them as I know I probably won’t be back out there for a while.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    People overclean bores and pay too little attention to proper lubrication of the action. Clean the bore when groups start opening up. Just foam in some wipe out, let it drip out of the muzzle onto something like a paper plate/paper towels for a couple hours, then run some patches with a good rod from chamber to bore until they come out clean. Repeat if necessary, but actual time spent cleaning is negligible...most is you off doing something else while the Wipeout does its thing.

Meanwhile, just wiping down the action to remove most of the crud and then lubing with some kind of halfway decent lube is good enough. Eezox or rust prevent on anything outside that may rust for storage.

Scrubbing them spotless every range trip just isn't needed. You then need to refoul the bore again before getting back to consistent shots. Once the groups open up again, repeat cleaning.

THIS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Cleaning guns after shooting just comes with the territory. I'll normally just shoot one type when I go out for an afternoon, so the requisite cleaning afterwards doesn't become a chore.

It's very rare for me to postpone a gun cleaning until the following day. Dirty guns do not belong in a safe.

Lack of attention to prompt gun maintenance is indicative of; and can be behaviorally cascaded towards neglecting other unrelated responsibilities in life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom