• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I thought if anyone would know this would be the place to ask.

Illinois Law FAQ:
    Will citizens from other states be allowed to carry loaded, concealed guns in my community if they have a license from their home state?

The law does allow non-residents to apply for an Illinois Concealed Carry Licenses for a fee of $300 if their state’s concealed carry license laws are determined by the Illinois State Police as “substantially similar” or stronger than Illinois’ requirements.

The law also allows a non-resident to carry a concealed firearm inside his or her vehicle if he or she is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her home state.

From a summary glance Maryland Laws are more strict than Illinois but currently, the only states considered to be "substantially similar" are Virginia, Texas, Mississippi, and Arkansas.

I can travel through IL with my home state permit but I wouldn't mind adding Illinois if it was a possibility.

Any advice/input?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I thought if anyone would know this would be the place to ask.

Illinois Law FAQ:
    Will citizens from other states be allowed to carry loaded, concealed guns in my community if they have a license from their home state?

The law does allow non-residents to apply for an Illinois Concealed Carry Licenses for a fee of $300 if their state’s concealed carry license laws are determined by the Illinois State Police as “substantially similar” or stronger than Illinois’ requirements.

The law also allows a non-resident to carry a concealed firearm inside his or her vehicle if he or she is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her home state.

From a summary glance Maryland Laws are more strict than Illinois but currently, the only states considered to be "substantially similar" are Virginia, Texas, Mississippi, and Arkansas.

I can travel through IL with my home state permit but I wouldn't mind adding Illinois if it was a possibility.

Any advice/input?

Out of luck unless you move to one of those states. Their process for picking “substantially similar” laws is pretty arbitrary.
    Best bet is wait until NYSRPA is decided, then you’ll see a flurry of lawsuits going after residency requirements for CCWs.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    While i Live in Texas, I do have a Non-resident Illinois CCL as well as I am certified to teach the Illinois CCL class.

Illinois will only allow 5 states residents with their resident state LTC. Sadly Maryland is NOT one of the states that Illinois will allow a resident to apply for a Non-resident IL CCL.

Hopefully after the NYSPA v NY SCOTUS case could change.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    You may have already seen this Chad, but this is from the Illinois State Police Website. Looks to me like you would be approved, or at least should be approved:

https://isp.illinois.gov/Foid/Ccl

(Am I eligible)

Eligibility Rules for an Illinois Concealed Carry License

ILLINOIS RESIDENTS

• I am at least 21 years old.
    • I have a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification card.
    • I have not been convicted or found guilty of a misdemeanor involving the threat of physical force or violence to any person within the past 5 years.
    • I do not have 2 or more violations related to driving while under the influence of alcohol, other drugs, intoxicating compounds within the past 5 years.
    • I am not subject to a pending arrest warrant, prosecution or proceeding for an offense or action that could lead to disqualification to own or possess a firearm.
    • I have not been in a residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the past 5 years.
    • You may be eligible if you satisfy the above and no objections are filed by law enforcement. (Section 15)

NON-RESIDENTS

• I am at least 21 years old.
    • I have not been convicted of any Felony.
    • I have not been adjudicated as a mental defective by a court of law.
    • I have not been involuntarily committed to a facility for the purpose of mental health treatment.
    • I have not been admitted as a voluntary patient in a facility for the purpose of mental health treatment within the past 5 years.
    • I have not been addicted to narcotics.
    • I am not intellectually disabled or developmentally disabled.
    • I am not subject to any active Order of Protection.
    • I have not within the past 5 years been convicted of battery, assault, aggravated assault, violation of an order of protection, or a substantially similar offense in which a firearm was used or possessed.
    • I have not been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic battery or substantially similar offense.
    • I have not been adjudicated a delinquent minor for the commission of an offense that if committed by an adult would be a felony.
    • I have not been convicted or found guilty of a misdemeanor involving the threat of physical force or violence to any person within the past 5 years.
    • I do not have 2 or more violations related to driving while under the influence of alcohol, other drugs, intoxicating compounds within the past 5 years.
    • I am not subject to a pending arrest warrant, prosecution or proceeding for an offense or action that could lead to disqualification to own or possess a firearm.
    • I have not been in a residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the past 5 years.
    • You may be eligible if you satisfy the above and no objections are filed by law enforcement. (Section 15)
    Section 15. Objections by law enforcement agencies.

a. Any law enforcement agency may submit an objection to a license applicant based upon a reasonable suspicion that the applicant is a danger to himself or herself or others, or a threat to public safety. The objection shall be made by the chief law enforcement officer of the law enforcement agency, or his or her designee, and must include any information relevant to the objection. If a law enforcement agency submits an objection within 30 days after the entry of an applicant into the database, the Department shall submit the objection and all information related to the application to the Board within 10days of completing all necessary background checks.

b. If an applicant has 5 or more arrests for any reason, that have been entered into the Criminal History Records Information (CHRI) System, within the 7 years preceding the date of application for a license, or has 3 or more arrests within the 7 years preceding the date of application for a license for any combination of gang-related offenses, the Department shall object and submit the applicant's arrest record, the application materials, and any additionalinformation submitted by a law enforcement agency to the Board. For purposes of this subsection, "gang-related offense" is an offense described in Section 12-6.4, Section 24-1.8, Section 25-5, Section 33-4, or Section 33G-4, or in paragraph (1) of subsection (a) of Section 12-6.2, paragraph (2) of subsection (b) of Section 16-30, paragraph (2) of subsection (b) of Section 31-4, or item (iii) of paragraph (1.5) of subsection (i) of Section 48-1 of the Criminal Code of 2012.

c. The referral of an objection under this Section to the Board shall toll the 90-day period for the Department to issue or deny the applicant a license under subsection (e) of Section 10 of this Act, during the period of review and until the Boardissues its decision.

d. If no objection is made by a law enforcement agency or the Department under this Section, the Department shall processthe application in accordance with this Act.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I forgot to update this thread. My apologies.

I tried to show the Illinois State Police that Maryland Law was similar or more restricted than Illinois Law, but they just sent me a canned response that they only accept a few states. As mentioned Maryland isn't one of them.

No outside the car carry for me in IL.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I forgot to update this thread. My apologies.

I tried to show the Illinois State Police that Maryland Law was similar or more restricted than Illinois Law, but they just sent me a canned response that they only accept a few states. As mentioned Maryland isn't one of them.

No outside the car carry for me in IL.

I'm no lawyer, and didn't speak to anyone in the ISP, but based on the website bullet points, you should be good.

But, of course, a lot of things that 'should' be, aren't, in this world that is spinning out of control.

Good luck to you Chad, you are among the few who really do care.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Cypherpunk used to be certified to do the Illinois training so is likely up on the requirements. Unfortunately, he hasn't logged into MDS for a while. Just shot him a text.

Eta: he's moved overseas. Doing well

Last edited:

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    https://isp.illinois.gov/Foid/Cclfaq

5. Out of State Residents
    The Illinois State Police sent a survey to each state to determine which states have laws that are substantially similar. Currently, the only states considered to be substantially similar are Arkansas, Idaho, Mississippi, Nevada, Texas and Virginia. Click here to view the CCL Substantially Similar Survey

From the survey, looks like because Maryland doesn't report licenses to NLETS they've determined it's not 'substantially similar.'

Lame.

243hunter

Oct 26, 2012
    Illinois
    Something else to keep in mind is if next week IL decides to delist one of the similar states, everybody in that state that has the Non res IL permit gets their permit revoked.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I talked to Illinois a few years ago arguing that MD is substantially similar. They said that MD hadn't responded to their requests so they can't confirm. Apparently they sent requests to many (all) States asking about particular facets of the law there vs Illinois. Not sure how to resolve this so I gave up.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Something else to keep in mind is if next week IL decides to delist one of the similar states, everybody in that state that has the Non res IL permit gets their permit revoked.

Depends on who you talk too, There is a discussion about that on a Illinois firearms forum. Several of the lawyers said they won’t revoke the CCL, but you won’t be able to renew.

Several lawyers also mentioned that pending the NY SCOTUS case. There is a suit ready to be filed in District court. Alleging that there is a 14th amendment violation of equal protection because Illinois allows for 5 states, but not other states.

As well as several other lawsuits to be filed in every circuit court against those states that don’t allow reciprocity with other states, based on the 14th amendment equal protection.

The cases won’t be filed until AFTER the NY SCOTUS opinion is released for obvious reasons. It is these cases that they hope will open up nationwide reciprocity. But first we have to get SCOTUS to say that their is a 2A right to carry a firearm open or concealed outside one’s home or business. Once that has been affirmed we can go on to push every state for full reciprocity and/or issuance of non-resident LTC’s

Remember that NY Case is a required stepping stone for more freedoms.

243hunter

Oct 26, 2012
    Illinois
    I wonder if Illinois allows Indiana residents to get a permit?
    Here is the current list And no Indiana is not on it.

Arkansas, Idaho, Mississippi, Nevada, Texas and Virginia. And keep in mind that if Illinois decides one of those states is not longer considered special they will revoke the permits issued to people in those states without prior warning.

HailVon

Jan 1, 2015
    Northern Indiana
    That honesty sucks man but hopefully Maryland will allow out of state permits. It’ll definitely be nice when visiting my parents back in Maryland.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Sadly, Mr. McDonald will not be a party to next 2A case and will have to watch over it from above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom