• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    This is badly needed, and while Hogan has wasted many opportunities while being in office for years he could add NC, VA, PA, DE to that list for starters.

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    Fat chance of this happening. MD is under no requirement to recognize any other states laws

:sad20:

If Maryland were "require[d] to recognize any other state laws", there wouldn't be a need to request consideration of a reciprocity agreement.

Of course it's extraordinarily unlikely to happen, but I don't get your statement.

Hopefully, SCOTUS will take care of G&S for us and it will be less of an issue.

-Rob

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Hogman is doing no such thing , he has had in years past made folks believe he was a 2A guy when in fact he is not . He gets nothing out of doing something good for the gun community , nope not going to happen .

It is nice that WVA asked but it will fall on deaf ears .

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    How could this even happen without a change to MD law, which the Dem supermajority in the MGA will never allow? The only way it could be done would be for the Governor to somehow convince the MSP to recognize possession of a WV permit as G&S, and issue a MD permit. Keep in mind that MSP takes its legal advice on what G&S means from the AG, not the Governor. And if he somehow succeeded in convincing MSP over Frosh's vehement objections (and probable legal tantrum), the next MGA session would get that "loophole" closed statutorily, with any veto quickly overridden.

It's not fair to blame Hogan for what the Dem party does outside his authority.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    WV is constitutional carry.

epic-troll-be.jpg

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    How could this even happen without a change to MD law, which the Dem supermajority in the MGA will never allow? The only way it could be done would be for the Governor to somehow convince the MSP to recognize possession of a WV permit as G&S, and issue a MD permit. Keep in mind that MSP takes its legal advice on what G&S means from the AG, not the Governor. And if he somehow succeeded in convincing MSP over Frosh's vehement objections (and probable legal tantrum), the next MGA session would get that "loophole" closed statutorily, with any veto quickly overridden.

While you're absolutely right that Hogan is fairly neutered by the General Assembly, he's also shown zero interest in protecting our rights and during the pandemic, he began drinking Progressives' racism Kool-Aid.

He's been patting himself on the back for his pandemic actions in an obvious attempt to burnish his credentials for a possible presidential run. I thought he was a fairly decent guy but he's shown himself to be another Romney.

That, we do not need.

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    Hahah Maryland. The only way people are carrying concealed in MD is when the Supreme Court strikes down “may- issue” in May or June. Then Maryland will have to comply and let people carry and defend themselves. Reciprocity better be all 50 states at that point.

As a FL resident I should be able to carry when visiting family that was too stupid to move out of Maryland. As it is now I can drive from Tampa to Tysons Corner with a pistol holstered the whole way, then all kind of ******** has to supposedly happen when I embark on the most dangerous part of the trip, entering the state of Maryland

Also in response to the poster stating “Maryland is under no requirement to recognize WV permits”……U.S citizens of other states are under no requirement to recognize Maryland’s unconstitutional laws, since per Marbury vs Madison they are moot

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC

As Governor, Hogan can use executive action to make agreement with WV and other states. You do not need MGA or AG. Gov. Hogan chooses not to. I really hope Maryland gets sued for banning citizens of other states from conceal carrying in MD, putting them in unnecessarily greater risk in places like Baltimore. I wonder how often an outside conceal carry holder/tourist has been attacked or a victim of a crime when visiting MD.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    As Governor, Hogan can use executive action to make agreement with WV and other states. You do not need MGA or AG. Gov. Hogan chooses not to. I really hope Maryland gets sued for banning citizens of other states from conceal carrying in MD, putting them at greater risk in places like Baltimore.

What legal authority could he use? There is none that I'm aware of. MD law is pretty specific that to carry in MD, you need a MD permit. There's no such thing as an "executive agreement" that overrides statutory law.

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    What legal authority could he use? There is none that I'm aware of. MD law is pretty specific that to carry in MD, you need a MD permit.

One of the authorities of a Governor is to enter into treaty/agreement with other states. Almost all the conceal carry reciprocities many of the states have now are done by their executive branch usually their DOJ or equivalent.

He can absolutely direct the AG or simply sign an executive order, he chooses not to do so. If Hogan wanted, MD could have conceal carry reciprocity next week with all other 49 states. Had he done this back in 2015 when he first entered office we could have established 6 years of reciprocity making it a little harder for the next Dem governor to capriciously undo it.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    One of the authorities of a Governor is to enter into treaty/agreement with other states. Almost all the conceal carry reciprocities many of the states have now are done by their executive branch usually their DOJ or equivalent.

He can absolutely direct the AG or simply sign an executive order, he chooses not to do so. If Hogan wanted, MD could have conceal carry reciprocity next week with all other 49 states.

A Governor cannot direct the AG, who is a separately elected official, and who does not report to, nor can be fired by, the Governor.

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    A Governor cannot direct the AG, who is a separately elected official, and who does not report to, nor can be fired by, the Governor.

If Hogan signs an executive order the AG will have to comply. Nothing about conceal carry reciprocity goes against MD law, so the AG would have no grounds to refuse. He could also just speak or informally 'direct' Frosh about this and avoid having to take executive order, but he won't do that either. There's a reason why WV AG Morrisey addressed the letter to Gov. Hogan and not his counterpart Frosh...

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

He can absolutely direct the AG or simply sign an executive order, he chooses not to do so. If Hogan wanted, MD could have conceal carry reciprocity next week with all other 49 states. Had he done this back in 2015 when he first entered office we could have established 6 years of reciprocity making it a little harder for the next Dem governor to capriciously undo it.

Uh no he can’t order the AG to do that. The AG is elected and therefore does not work for the Governor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    :sad20:

If Maryland were "require[d] to recognize any other state laws", there wouldn't be a need to request consideration of a reciprocity agreement.

Of course it's extraordinarily unlikely to happen, but I don't get your statement.

Hopefully, SCOTUS will take care of G&S for us and it will be less of an issue.

-Rob

Hopefully. That said, I am not holding my breath on reciprocity. I’d fully expect you’ll need to still get a license in every state you are interested in carrying in that doesn’t have reciprocity.

And I’d bet we will have to have another law suit over non-resident permits too (IE the small number of states that will not issue one). Though I can hope NPSRPA makes clear that reciprocity should be a thing. I am pro allowing gay marriage. With if Obergfell says other states have to respect another states marriage license no matter what. Well then other states should have to respect carry licenses from another state. Full stop.

Just like we do with driver’s licenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom