• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    I haven’t been this excited in a long time because of the NY 2A Supreme Court case. Assuming there’ll be a decision around July next year, what’s a good time to submit an application? I’m guessing there are others in the same boat? I didn’t want to wait until everyone else in MD start applying for their permits.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Wet Blanket Mode:

I have no expectation that a positive (for us) ruling on NY will turn into a policy/law change in MD any time soon thereafter. Assuming the ruling isn’t so narrow it doesn’t apply to us in MD, somebody will have to chase the matter through an entirely new round of litigation that challenges the MD law, citing the presumptive NY ruling. Then that has to grind through months or years of hearings, MD government foot dragging and challenges, appeals, etc. could literally take years.

If you qualify for a permit now, I’d just do the traditional dance sooner than later. Because this will not be a quick thing, at all.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The full wet blanket scenario is completely possible, but I expect the MD General Assembly to go into Special Session in July to increase the restrictions the court will continue to allow - increasing the application fee and the amount of required training. The justices were also clear that they favor restrictions on where one can carry, all of the justices, not just the liberals. Location restrictions could be preemptively considered during the regular session with no penalty to the antis.

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    I hope MDGA don’t drag their feet. I’m cautiously optimistic about the outcome of the court case.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I hope MDGA don’t drag their feet. I’m cautiously optimistic about the outcome of the court case.

Whether they do it quickly or slowly, it won't be good. They are NOT going to write a law that lets you easily get a permit.

Most likely the best thing to do is keep watching here on MDS in June.

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    Whether they do it quickly or slowly, it won't be good. They are NOT going to write a law that lets you easily get a permit.

Most likely the best thing to do is keep watching here on MDS in June.

Yes will definitely keep checking here on MDS.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Your best bet is to start your own business. That is how I got my W&C in MD. As long as you can demonstrate you own a legitimate business with deposits, you should be GTG.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    not sure it matters. When San Diego went shall issue after Peruta the interviews were booked two years out. Seems unlikely to me they will drop the interview process, and there are only so many interviews they can do.

The first year will be bumpy to say the least. No matter when you apply you will probably get your permit in 2024.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Wet Blanket Mode:

I have no expectation that a positive (for us) ruling on NY will turn into a policy/law change in MD any time soon thereafter. Assuming the ruling isn’t so narrow it doesn’t apply to us in MD, somebody will have to chase the matter through an entirely new round of litigation that challenges the MD law, citing the presumptive NY ruling. Then that has to grind through months or years of hearings, MD government foot dragging and challenges, appeals, etc. could literally take years.

If you qualify for a permit now, I’d just do the traditional dance sooner than later. Because this will not be a quick thing, at all.

All teed up and ready to go, MSI is a year ahead of the curve on this one, from Nov 2020:

https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/counselor-s-corner/call-v-jones

Courts have hit the "Pause" button, pending decision from SCOTUS.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    All teed up and ready to go, MSI is a year ahead of the curve on this one, from Nov 2020:

https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/counselor-s-corner/call-v-jones

Courts have hit the "Pause" button, pending decision from SCOTUS.

Acknowledged! I’m aware of the preparation, and a good thing, too. My point (with regard to the OP’s question) is that trying to pick a date on the calendar for a permit application to make it land right when MSP has new rules: nearly impossible to thread that needle. I sympathize and totally understand the instinct, but these wheels will turn slowly and capriciously, even with MSI’s earnest good work.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    not sure it matters. When San Diego went shall issue after Peruta the interviews were booked two years out. Seems unlikely to me they will drop the interview process, and there are only so many interviews they can do.

The first year will be bumpy to say the least. No matter when you apply you will probably get your permit in 2024.

Under current law, I believe MSP is obligated to grant within a certain time period. If they can't meet the legislated deadline, they would be hit with a lawsuit.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    We've been thru that before during the three week window post Wollard , pre Stay ( including me personally ) . MSP just shrugs and says to the effect of " We're backed up . We'll call you when we're ready " .

They did hire some Contract Investigators to work on the backlog , but nowhere near enough to be close to the 90 days .

I understand what the OP seeks .. But it random luck to guess in advance to hit a 3 day or so window somewhere within a 3 or 4 month period, to have 50/50 overall odds of desired results .

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    When the Supreme Court makes a ruling, it’s instant. Take the Taser ban in 2015. They made their ruling and the few jurisdictions in Maryland instantly nullified their laws. They all had to have special sessions (I think Annapolis waited until regular session), but their laws were unenforceable after the court ruling. I have no doubt that Maryland will follow suit in this case. They don’t have much of a choice. They can still require a reason for a handgun permit, they just can’t deny someone based on that reason.

Now, if someone put “zombie apocalypse”, that might delay processing… LOL. People need to not be smart asses and just put “self defense” as the reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom