A Mosin went for $3,000 on Gunbroker today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    It's a less common variant of the Finnish M28, but the hammer price is nuts.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/914751827

For those of you who don't know, the double sling slot on the rear of the stock is what makes it special. Supposedly there were only 6,000 or so made.

It almost makes me want to list mine.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I don't follow the gun market, but the collector car (both new and late models) has seen insane price jumps. I think folks are looking at places outside of the stock market to try and make a few bucks. No real other explanation other than "You've never seen a Brinks truck following the hearse."

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

For those of you who don't know, the double sling slot on the rear of the stock is what makes it special. Supposedly there were only 6,000 or so made.

Oh hell, if they want a double sling slot, I've got a router...

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Spirits

I don't follow the gun market, but the collector car (both new and late models) has seen insane price jumps. I think folks are looking at places outside of the stock market to try and make a few bucks. No real other explanation other than "You've never seen a Brinks truck following the hearse."

I know people who have done the same with spirits.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Several people must have been trying to fill a spot in their collection and got into a bidding war

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    You should’ve seen the one that went for like $17,000 a few years ago

The M28 is cool but definitely fetched a premium, probably a bidding war as mentioned

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    I'm glad I picked up my Ufixem for under $400 awhile back. reminds me I need to get my stock fixed.

Attachments

• 0320171244.jpg
      0320171244.jpg
      22.8 KB · Views: 489
    • 0320171245b.jpg
      0320171245b.jpg
      27.9 KB · Views: 500
    • 0320171245.jpg
      0320171245.jpg
      57.4 KB · Views: 495

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Like I said to other people that contacted me about this rifle. It definitely has several things going for it. Only the bidders can decide if the premiums add up to $3K. Personally, I hope they do, as I’d be RICH!! :D

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Like I said to other people that contacted me about this rifle. It definitely has several things going for it. Only the bidders can decide if the premiums add up to $3K. Personally, I hope they do, as I’d be RICH!! :D

Agree on the cool factor but not sure if it meets the $3K of cool level for moi. Both bidders that pushed the bidding beyond $1k (which is where I would drop away) have low bid histories. Either newbies or they rarely use GB for acquisitions.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel

Aside from the sling slots, I noticed it has a Civil Guard matched bolt, which you don't see every day. What else am I missing?

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    Just think about all of those that were available at Woolworth's back in the late 60's and early 70's. My father wouldn't let us buy them back then because he said they were junk.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Aside from the sling slots, I noticed it has a Civil Guard matched bolt, which you don't see every day. What else am I missing?

Now. This is going by the description. NOT the supplied pictures. Hopefully, the winner got additional pics.

For me:
    -all original matching (bolt flat = Civil Guard Number, bolt knob has last two of serial- preceded by “o”, as well as Buttplate having last two of serial).

-antique receiver (anyone can have mailed to them)

-No Army property stamp (boxed “SA”). This is where Civil Guard collectors like to congregate.

dweissman

Mar 23, 2020
    I am losing it - a $3000 Mosin where the seller didn't even bother to post a picture of the whole rifle, just detail shots.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I am losing it - a $3000 Mosin where the seller didn't even bother to post a picture of the whole rifle, just detail shots.

What we don't know is what probably happened between the lines. I've contacted sellers to get additional info/photos when what was available had real prospects but lacked specifics. And most of the time the seller was either too lazy or busy to update their listing so I was the sole beneficiary.
    Or maybe you just had two collectors that were hell bent to add a "ski trooper" to their collection.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Wow. Only a few pics and I didn't see any bore pictures (did I miss them?). I got rid of my regular M28 a few years ago to acquire a M28/30, as I like those sights better. I have seen a really high Mosins sell on there lately.

French M91
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/912776421

$8k French M91
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/911422612

The $8K M91 had a who's who of the Mosin forum of Gun Boards bidding on it. Some of whom have very deep pockets so I'm not surprised at the outcome. I got into a tiny bidding war against another Mosin collector and friend, Zeebill, over an early M91 with straight sight, no sling slots, etc. Not pretty condition wise but original. It was only after the dust settled (Zeebill got it) and we met up did we realize who we were bidding against. I was slightly bummed but in the end happy that a friend got it. Sold for what was a stiff $550 back then. Doubt Bill would let it go for less than 3 or 4x that today. You just never see them come up for sale.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Wow - so this guy is going to wake up with one hell of a hangover and then realize he dropped $3K on a Mosin! :shocked:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom