• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Received this email below last night....

From what I remember, from the start of the school year we have the following: The stabbing at Blair, the post BCC -WJ Football game issues, Wootton and the potential locker room assault, swastikas spray painted at WJ, SRO's being removed from the schools... I am sure I'm missing a bunch more but also its only November.

Dear Parents, Students and Community Members,

I am writing today to discuss the recent serious incidents on our school campuses and the steps we are taking to ensure the safety of our students and staff.

In recent weeks, there have been multiple serious incidents on school grounds, including some that have involved weapons. Let me be clear: We will not tolerate weapons of any sort on school grounds. Anyone found to be in possession of a weapon at a school, on school property, or at a school-sponsored event will be referred to the police. Students will also face serious disciplinary action from the school aligned with our MCPS Code of Conduct.

Students must feel safe in order to be successful at school. Any behavior that makes our students feel unsafe will be dealt with quickly, in accordance with the MCPS Student Code of Conduct. If you have questions about our expectations for student behavior and disciplinary actions, please consult A Student’s Guide to Rights and Responsibilities and Student Code of Conduct or reach out to your school administration. Please also make sure your student is aware of these expectations and outcomes.

If you or your student becomes aware of someone who has a weapon or is planning to hurt themselves or others at a school, please immediately contact the school administration, the local police, or the Maryland SafeSchools Tipline at 833-632-7233 (available 24/7).

MCPS has policies, practices and regulations to ensure the safety of our students and staff, as well as trained administrators and security who are ready to de-escalate situations. We have documented agreements with the Montgomery County Police Department and other local law enforcement agencies to respond to emergencies. Counselors and other mental health professionals are available to repair and restore relationships following any situation. While teaching and learning is our business, safety is our top priority.

It is hard to say what may be causing the serious incidents we have seen over the past few weeks, but we know that some of our students are struggling socially and emotionally. It has been a very difficult time for everyone due to the pandemic, concerns about social injustice, and other factors, including significant individual challenges facing many of our students and their families. Student well-being is a focus during Mental Health Awareness Week. For information about the activities happening this week and the resources being shared, please visit the MCPS Mental Health Awareness Week web page. If a student you know is struggling, please have them reach out to someone at the school or contact the Montgomery County Hotline at 301-738-2255.

Keeping our students safe and healthy is a collaborative effort among our schools, our families, and our communities. Working together, we can make sure our students feel secure, valued, and are ready to learn and thrive.

It is hard to say what may be causing the serious incidents we have seen over the past few weeks, but we know that some of our students are struggling socially and emotionally.

I actually don't think its hard to say, this to me seems like exactly what is going on in major cities across the country. Pull back law enforcement ( or any type of enforcement), limit any type of punishment and these are the types of things that happen and will keep happening.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I'm not really sure we have rising crime rates but I'm positive we have dramatically rising sensitivity rates and information flows instantaneously compared with when I was in school in the 70's.

We had a principal at Belt, Steven Dickoff. No shit. Someone spray painted "Dickoff Sucks" on the side of the school. I'm sure that would somehow be classified as a hate crime today. We had plenty of fights in Jr. High and HS, very common. I don't recall anyone getting shanked though. :lol2:

We also have a significant percentage of the population that wakes up each morning and goes about their day looking for someone to violate their rights or offend them so they can file a complaint, get someone fired or canceled, etc. It's pretty pathetic.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    sick of the social injustice crap. It is a canard. Crises looking for causes. How did minorities even survive twenty years ago. SMH. All it does is separate all of us into smaller and more easily conquered groups.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Really glad Will Jawando got rid of SRO's. It's making our kids much safer...

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    From my son-in-law

Remind me… did Montgomery County scale back law enforcement in response to BLM movement?

I remember getting a survey from the executive but I never saw the results.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I think someone got stabbed at Clarksburg H.S. last week. It was after hours but based on the current climate it does not surprise me that crime would be on the rise on average on school grounds no matter the time. They are already gun free zones and now places of reduce police presence.

twybyll

Jan 20, 2021
    MD
    I actually don't think its hard to say, this to me seems like exactly what is going on in major cities across the country. Pull back law enforcement ( or any type of enforcement), limit any type of punishment and these are the types of things that happen and will keep happening.

How would increasing law enforcement would made much difference to those incidents? I can't imagine the schools being patrolled after hours to prevent swastikas from being spray painted, or an SRO waiting in the locker room to prevent a broomstick sodomy attempt.

I mean, I blame normalization of white supremacy more than the presence of SROs. With our luck we'd probably have cowards like the Parkland school officer employed anyway.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    How would increasing law enforcement would made much difference to those incidents? I can't imagine the schools being patrolled after hours to prevent swastikas from being spray painted, or an SRO waiting in the locker room to prevent a broomstick sodomy attempt.

I mean, I blame normalization of white supremacy more than the presence of SROs. With our luck we'd probably have cowards like the Parkland school officer employed anyway.

My question back is do you believe an overall presence of law enforcement and potential punishment directly impacts a persons behavior on if they are deciding to commit a crime? Also the item you raised about Seneca Valley, doesn't that fall on the school board for lax punishments when they were just shuffling kids around from school to school and this was the outcome.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I remember back around 2000 or so when a Bethesda do-gooders group proclaimed that Bethesda didn't have its "share" of homeless people. They fixed that. And no, not by working to reduce homelessness everywhere.

I guess they or their successors have decided that MoCo doesn't have its "share" of crime, so they're fixing that, too.

twybyll

Jan 20, 2021
    MD
    My question back is do you believe an overall presence of law enforcement and potential punishment directly impacts a persons behavior on if they are deciding to commit a crime?

No, and especially for the majority of the incidents mentioned. I grew up around kids who did all sorts of crimes, some much worse than some you listed. At best, knowing law enforcement could be around only changed the strategy, but not the decision. Of course there may be individuals that decide not to do crime due to LE but in my opinion, they wouldn't be the ones with an urge to do crimes.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    No, and especially for the majority of the incidents mentioned. I grew up around kids who did all sorts of crimes, some much worse than some you listed. At best, knowing law enforcement could be around only changed the strategy, but not the decision. Of course there may be individuals that decide not to do crime due to LE but in my opinion, they wouldn't be the ones with an urge to do crimes.

Think family values and structure are more the causation then?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

So, imaginary, media driven, politically fabricated boogie men are the problem? Please tell us we are all reading this wrong.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    From my son-in-law

Remind me… did Montgomery County scale back law enforcement in response to BLM movement?

I remember getting a survey from the executive but I never saw the results.
    Yes. We've lost 67 positions officially. Unofficially, moral is horrible and most officers do absolutely nothing proactive anymore. The criminals are realizing that and taking advantage of the vacuum.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

The normalization of white supremacy? Ummmm what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom