• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I bought these bullets at a gun show and have had no luck with any sort of accuracy out of a .357 rifle. I was loading them with 6.5 g of Bullseye with a SPPM primer. At 50 yds I'm barely on paper. Shots are all over the place. Hi, low, right, left...10-12" in all directions. Does anyone have any ideas for a better load?

Attachments

• IMG_20211113_182020115.jpg
      IMG_20211113_182020115.jpg
      31.1 KB · Views: 193
    • IMG_20211113_181936684.jpg
      IMG_20211113_181936684.jpg
      53.7 KB · Views: 187
    • IMG_20211113_181906250.jpg
      IMG_20211113_181906250.jpg
      38.4 KB · Views: 188

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    What .357 rifle is it? Not sure if this applies, but my marlin 30-30 has microgroove rifling, so it works best with velocities below 1600 fps and a fit of .002"+ over bore diameter.

Bullet fit along the rifling and speeds should be factors to consider for accuracy when it comes to casts in addition to lead harness. Tite group isn't position sensitive, so id try making some anemic starting loads and work it up until you have an acceptable group.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Could be the lead is too soft. If they are cast for 38spc loads, pushing them much harder for 357 might be what is causing the problem without a gas check. No idea if that would do it, but just a guess. The lead you want for 3.4gr of BE (a modest 38spc 158gr load) is a lot different than what you want for 6.5gr or BE in a 357 magnum case! I’d guess that’s probably about 3x the pressure.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    The bullets are .358. I've tried them in a Marlin 1894 .357 mag and also in a Ruger 77/357 bolt gun. No love from either. I can't even call the results "groups" they are so bad. Both rifles do fine with other loads including.38's. I can get <2" groups at 50 yds with Blazer brass ammo as well as my other handloads with RN or RNFP bullets. I don't have a chronograph so no velocity data.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    First thing I would do is mic the bullets to verify .358” diameter.

Determine your actual twist rate. You can do this with a cleaning rod, caliber specific jag, a tight patch, and a rule.

Slug the bore.

Then shoot a couple groups at 25 yards to see if they are proportionally tighter. If so, bullet quality could be suspect.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I bought these bullets at a gun show …

I sorta stopped reading, right …. ^there^

OP, just me but, before I jumped down a rabbit hole involving my components or rifle, I’d get ahold of some identical weight bullets from a KNOWN source (Berrys, Hornady, etc.) and see if just a change in bullets stay on paper, in an attempt to rule out the possibility that “some stuff bought at some gun shows are sh*t.”

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I sorta stopped reading, right …. ^there^

OP, just me but, before I jumped down a rabbit hole involving my components or rifle, I’d get ahold of some identical weight bullets from a KNOWN source (Berrys, Hornady, etc.) and see if just a change in bullets stay on paper, in an attempt to rule out the possibility that “some stuff bought at some gun shows are sh*t.”

Nothing wrong with trying quality factory ammo as well.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Thanks for the PM Rockzilla. I did mic the bullets and they are .358. Other hand loads and factory rounds work fine in both my .357 rifles. I know the shape of these bullets are not optimal for long range but in 50 yds I should see something in the 2" range I would think. I'm going to try to get to the range today and do a little more testing with some I loaded up with the Tite group powder.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I'm guessing powder coated but all I know about them is what is on the package label pictured on my first post in this thread.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I have read of some coating needing to ‘season a barrel’ to it…or never being stable. Since your other bullets and loads work I would be suspect of the bullets or rifling twist.

@ Mag, I've heard that before also, in a dicussion on the Castboolits place.

@ NeutronBlu...just by looking at the bullets the powder coating doesn't
    look uniform, voids and things, just throwing things out there. weigh em..
    just curious. You said you have tried loads with that weight bullet, gonna
    agree and say bullet

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom